It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
(female)

Effexor XR HB User
Panic attack WHILE you're sleeping? please help, very scared!

Hello everyone. I'm currently on Effexor for the past 2-3 months now. I periodically stop taking them for a couple of days at a time. Last night was my 2nd night not taking them and I had just had a fight with my boyfriend, we got over it and went to sleep.

About 20mins later, I start gasping for air while i'm sleeping, my body got hot, and it started tingling all over. I felt as if I moved my body and was trying to wake him up to help me, but i couldn't breadthe, or move for that matter. It's like I was hallucinating and having a panic attack while i was sleeping.

I've had somewhat mild panic attacks before but never felt like this. Does this sound normal, should I talk to my doc, has anyone else experienced anything similar?

thank you

Old 09-06-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: Panic attack WHILE you're sleeping? please help, very scared!

Hi yeah I have woke up gasping before also another few times woke by a bad chest pain and other times woke up hot flushed ,sweating all kinds of crazy stuff.It can all be due to the anxiety and maybe the stress of that arguement you had with your boyfriend triggered it.I dont think it is a good idea to stop taking your meds for a few days then back on like that.I think eventhough it is probably anxiety and panic you should just mention it to your doctor anyway

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

me too, ive woke with chest pain, feeling like no air is gettin into my lungs, i even didint sleep once for 3 days (cos i could feel myself goin to sleep and as my body and breathing slowed down i thought i was dying- and woke myself back up) this happened following a period of stopping and starting on meds - not a good idea. Your symptoms do sound typical of anxiety, but too put yourself at ease seek some reassurance from your doc. Im sure you'll be fine. My grandmothers favourite saying was 'never go to bed on an argument' (lol) but true.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

From what I understand, Effexor is a med you have to take at the same time every day (because of its short half-life) to avoid withdrawal symptoms. It sounds like you were having withdrawal symptoms. I don't know why you stopped taking them, but if it is because you want to, you should do it with your doctor's help and maybe a benzo to help you through it.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
(female)

rainy_daze HB User

I would avoid not using Effexor as prescribed. Otherwise, you might want to try weaning yourself off of it with your doctor.

I was on Effexor for a short period of time and I also woke up in the middle of the night with my skin burning. It was an awful feeling and I stopped using the medication as a result. (I had been on it for less than 2 weeks.) From what I remember, this medication can cause weird dreams, night sweats and such.

You mentioned that you were unable to move. There is something called Sleep Paralysis that some people get. I've experienced it a few times before and it's a very scarey experience. You're technically awake but your body is still in the state of sleep. You can't move, you feel like you have a weight on your chest and you can't speak out and ask for help. Some people are still dreaming during this and will even hallucinate. (That has only happened to be once. I dreamed my hand was covered in bees and I couldn't shake them off because I couldn't move.)

You might want to discuss the issue with your doctor.

Closed Thread