It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
(male)

ytheanxiety HB User
zoloft users

did zoloft do anyone much good! i'm going on second week of 50mg and still see no results. so if you had good or bad results with zoloft i'd like to hear about it. thank's

Old 09-06-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: zoloft users

At first I thought it was good. It was the first antidepressant I ever tried and I was comforted by the idea that there was a pill that could help me feel better. Unfortunatly for me, it ended up making things worse. My anxiety got worse, I gained weight, had sexual side effects and I actually felt worse than when I started. In my opinion, SSRI's aren't good for people with anxiety disorders. You haven't been on it long enough to know if it will help or not. Since you started, you might as well give it the 4-6 weeks it takes to get to a therapeutic level. Good luck and remember, if you decide to stop, don't do it without your doctor's supervision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

What medication is good for anxiety?

Old 09-06-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
(female)

ann_b HB User

I originally went on zoloft for my pms/pmdd. I started on 50mg and after 1yr it didn't seem to being doing much so my OBGYN nurse practitioner (yes, not even a doctor) increased it to 100mg. I wish I would have done more research before starting it. I found myself getting depressed (I have never been depressed before), I am very forgetful and have become indifferent to pretty much everything. I also have night sweats, don't sleep well and also gained weight. I quit taking it for a couple days which was a HUGE mistake. I had vertigo and dizziness, became easily aggitated and had weird body sensations. I am back on it but am going to start weaning myself off it. Please do more research on zoloft and especially the withdrawals. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
(male)

xander028 HB User

I have been on zoloft for 2 weeks now and for me it eased the depression a bit but it increased my anxiety.. I would give it another couple of weeks.. I had been on it 4 2yrs then went off it (thought I was cured).. Good Luck

Old 09-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
(female)

Alyna25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_b
I originally went on zoloft for my pms/pmdd. I started on 50mg and after 1yr it didn't seem to being doing much so my OBGYN nurse practitioner (yes, not even a doctor) increased it to 100mg. I wish I would have done more research before starting it. I found myself getting depressed (I have never been depressed before), I am very forgetful and have become indifferent to pretty much everything. I also have night sweats, don't sleep well and also gained weight. I quit taking it for a couple days which was a HUGE mistake. I had vertigo and dizziness, became easily aggitated and had weird body sensations. I am back on it but am going to start weaning myself off it. Please do more research on zoloft and especially the withdrawals. I wish you the best of luck.

OMG! you just described my current situation but I'm on 200mg. The dizzyness and the vertigo is what keeps me on such a high dose, and the aggitation, makes me hate myself! gained 30lbs on the stuff myself! I'm going to try birth control to regulate my hormones and something called sam-e? we'll see.........

Old 09-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

faeriegirl25 HB User

I have had a wonderful experience with zoloft in the past, now I am on it again and am having the same results. Not all people experience great results, but I found this to be the one that is working for me( along with CBT). Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2005, 07:47 AM   #8
(female)

laineyk HB User

Hi I am a veteran user of zoloft this will be my fourth time going back on it. Yes it has always (in the beginning) made everything MUCH worse. I took xanax the other times to counter attack the higher anxiety & am using klonopin this time. I never had any "sexual side effects" I did gain some weight but rather chubby then freaked. It has always taken at least 4-6 weeks for me everytime I have gone on it.
I think that you really need to wait it out a little longer 2 weeks is nothing (Believe me I know that sounds nuts) If after 4 weeks you don't feel anything then I would speak to your Dr.
My Dr three times now has tried to put me on another ssri thinking I would have quicker results....lets see Paxil made me so panicky I couldn't move, Lexapro would do nothing better or worse then the zoloft the first week. & just 2 weeks ago he tried me on effexorxr...that made me such a zombie in 7 days he told me to go back to what we know works.God Bless & good luck Lainey

Old 09-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
(male)

ytheanxiety HB User

thank's for all the reply's so far i'm like the rest of yen's it seem's to be making me more panicky i think. i'm going to try to give it the full month and see i hope it work's becuase i probally wont try anymore antidepressants if it doesn't which probally mean's i will suffer with this crap for the rest of my life. god bless you all.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:44 PM   #10
(female)

Abbieno12 HB User

I know that I have found with me that part of the anxiety if the fact that you are taking a strange pill that you arent use to yet.
Ive been on it for about two months and it really has helped me. At first I had bad panic from it. Now my only problem is that I feel foggy headed at times.
Good Luck!!

Old 09-09-2005, 09:07 PM   #11
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

I know that when I started on the Zoloft I had anxiety about having anxiety. Anxiety is the most horrible thing ever and I feel so bad for people who live with this their whole life. Two weeks into the meds I had such horrible chest pain I went into the ER. It was anxiety no heart attack. It does take longer than two weeks to work. The people at the ER were AWESOME!!! She ran tons of blood test on me and found that I have hypothyroidism which is why I was having axiety. Once I began treatment for the thyroid and got that under control I weaned off of the Zoloft but let me tell you it wasn't easy. I was on 50 as well and cut it down to 25 and cut that in half and that in half etc. etc. Trying to get off the stuff was such a struggle because I kept having these "zaps" in my head. I finally had to buck up and live with the zaps for about two weeks and that was it. The doc at the ER said that Zoloft is a wonderful medicine. I only had wished the GP that put me on the stuff would have checked other things than so quickly chalk it up to just anxiety. Hang in there. If it is straight anxiety that you have the Zoloft should help if you give it time. It honestly did wonders for me when I needed it.

Stacia

Old 09-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #12
(male)

kingam HB User

with anxiety, its nature is to keep you keyed up. i think part of the problem is people "expect" SOMETHING. i know i do. im starting my zoloft treatment tonight, after YEARS of trying to battle this on my own. im walking into this with an open mind. maybe ill have worse anxiety temporarily, but what is another 2 or 3 weeks of anxiety after the last 3 years has been hell.

when i first read the replies of people saying "oh it made me worse" it freaked me out, but i know its chemistry and different people will react differently. i think if you're thinking about using it, or going on it, keep an open mind. i dont want any pre-concieved notions besides "maybe this will help me"

because without anything, my quality of life has been sucking for years. so its worth a shot.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #13
(female)

navshelt HB User

SSRI's are as one of the clinic doctors said..is the drug of choice for anxiety...his quote, not mine. I take Zoloft and have excellent results with it...right now I'm coming off it very slowly with no problems at all...

Closed Thread