It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2005, 06:07 AM   #1

Kim57 HB User
Taking Ativan Before Flying...

Just to start off....I am not a good flyer. I get shakey, tearful, and just plain nervous. I have in the past taken Xanax about a half hour before I got on a plane which helped maybe 50 percent. But didn't last long enough. We are leaving for vacation next month and yesterday my doctor perscribed a half milligram of Ativan to take 15 minuites before take-off. I have never heard of this. Does anyone else take this for flying or anything else for that matter, and what am I to expect? I don't want to be a zombie throughout the entire flight. Thanks

Old 09-07-2005, 07:03 AM   #2
(male)

FAB SCOTT HB User
Re: Taking Ativan Before Flying...

If you were previously using Xanax, I can't see you having any bad side effects as they are a similar drug, both in the benzodiazepines group. If the Xanax didn't make you into a zombie they shouldn't either.
Possibly your doctor thinks it will have a longer effect on you.

And yes,I used lorazepam[same thing] and as long as I didn't take more than the doc said I was ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to kim
ativan and xanax are both valium type meds, the doses recommended are very small, suggesting doc doesnt really understand the seriousness of your problem

in general a dose should be taken about 1 hour before the flight with some more tablets carried with you just in case of extra anxiety on the flight

remember to breathe deep and slow and to relax, dont tense up or fight back against the anxiety

Old 09-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
(female)

NicoleMM HB User

I am a nervous flyer too! I have to travel quite a bit for work, so I carry Ativan with me whenever I have to get on a flight. It takes about 1 hour to fully kick in...so take it well before you board the plane. It doesn't make me a zombie at all!

I hope you have a good experience with it!

Old 09-08-2005, 04:27 AM   #5

Kim57 HB User

Thanks everyone. I always look forward to vacations, but the flying ususally takes the excitement away beforehand and afterwards. Hopefully the Ativan will make it a little more enjoyable.

Closed Thread