It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2005, 06:27 AM   #1
(male)

GettingBy HB User
clarification on buspar side effects

Hi everyone,
I've been searching on Buspar and accidentilly coming across bits and pieces that seem to contradict what I find in searching forums regarding buspar's side effects.

What side effects apart from dizzyness, sweating, etc have you guys had? Anything more disturbing or debilitating than those "discomfort" type things? I know some people have said it hasn't worked for them at all, so I guess I'm asking from only those for whom it has worked (most likely you have generalized anxiety if it's helped).

thanks for help

Old 09-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: clarification on buspar side effects

buspar side effects are generally mild

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
(male)

GettingBy HB User

Hi thanks for your reply.

I'm just at the end of day two of starting Buspar @ 2x5mg. I took it once before many years ago without any side effects although I was on both Paxil and Wellbutrin at the time, so there could have been some masking or I was desensitised or something.

This time around however I ended up looking into the side effects more which got me panicky about those. Just a few hours ago I took my 2nd 5mg for day-two and felt a really strong and strange sense of unease for like two hours ("spaced out" sort of)... my panicking about the side effects may well have contributed.

I'm thinking of stopping buspar for now, because I'm traveling in a week to meet an old friend. I thought from experience that the side effects would be mild but now I'm thinking twice...

Another thing that concerns me, is that the doctor that filled my prescription relied on my recollection of how much I started at dosage-wise many years ago, because she had never prescribed buspar before.

Is 2x5mg (5mg morning, 5mg evening) too much for anyone to start buspar at? In other words, is that much at the start unheard of? Maybe my recollection of the initial dose was wrong... yikes.

But from what I've read, stopping Buspar cold turkey is not a problem even after long use... cause I think I'm not too sure anymore about starting buspar so soon before my traveling.

Last edited by GettingBy; 09-07-2005 at 03:48 PM.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

your dose is OK
buspar is a tranquilliser that needs to be taken daily and takes about 10 days to become effective
its a different type to valium

Old 09-09-2005, 01:45 AM   #5
(male)

GettingBy HB User

Hi,
I spoke to a phone-in psychiatrist because I don't have time before my travel for an appointment. She said also that my initital dosage of 2x5mg wasn't a bad thing, but that I should start instead at 1x5mg if my initial side effects were strong.

I've stopped the med for now... been off of it for just over 24 hours, but I'm thinking of trying today a 5mg once and 5mg again tomorrow. Then perhaps continue at 5mg for just over a week if I don't notice any particularly strong side effect.

I've read of people being on continual dosages of as little as 2x7.5mg. So maybe if I increase after that to only 2x5mg and stay there? While I'd really like my anxiety tendency to be more under control, I also don't want an eye-opener right now, as it takes getting used to. Just a small improvement would be more what I'd like and could handle at this time with traveling, etc.

But I'm still not sure...

Closed Thread