It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 02:09 AM   #1
(female)

lolita1972 HB User
legs and arms numb, is this also a panick attack?

HI everyone:
First of all I want to say that I really wish everyone is having "one of those good days" it is fustrating to live like this and really hard for people around us to understand.
I was having one of those really anxious mornings and all of the sudden i felt that my arms and legs went numb, like when you have circulatory problems or you sleep on one arm, i also felt very dizzy and I had to lay down, i almost coulnt speak, I felt very weak,can this be a panick attack too? is this a new modality? I l feel like somedays Im sooo ok and then, Im back to the anxiety.
any one have had one of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: legs and arms numb, is this also a panick attack?

I would say yes, that is another manifestation of panic. I get the dizzy (derealization) kind of panic attacks that come out of nowhere, and I also get the chest pain, numb arms and legs kind too. I actually prefer those kind because then I have half a chance of heading it off at the pass with either a Zantac (for heartburn) or Xanax, which always makes it go away. Don't forget your deep breathing...too little oxygen might be part of the problem. Sorry you have to go through this too. I hope your day gets better.

Last edited by SRMom; 09-08-2005 at 11:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to leibnz

numbness is often caused by anxiety, the fight or flight response reduces bloodflow to the arms, legs and sometimes the head causing numbness or pins and needles

Old 09-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

yeh, i too get that 'numb sensation', some times i feel like my legs have turn into lead weights and i cant put one foot in front of the other,the more i focus on it the worse it gets, i too believe its caused by hyperventilating that causes restricted blood supply to those areas.

Old 09-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
(female)

louane HB User

I have had numbness in face in legs and arms,, it was always either on one side or the other,,, in fact that is what I notice first when i first had problems. I have had ever kinda of test there was and nothing was wrong....I hate taking nerve pills but sometimes the numbness last for more then two or three days, then I have to take one. i had to quit my job becuase the numbness was so bad,,,,
I hope your get better,, i dont have that problem as much as I use to ...
Good luck
louane

Old 09-09-2005, 01:56 AM   #6
(female)

lolita1972 HB User

wow! I was hoping it was due to something else, I have a doctors app on the 14 and I will defenitly tell him about it, I have been on meds for 4 months now and I feel better but Im getting this attacks plus I avoid going out much,I feel like staying home forever, i dont want anyone to see me having one of my attacks, do you also feel like that? are you ashame of yourself sometimes?
thanks to all

Old 09-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

It's been happening to me for so long, that my family and friends are all aware I have these "spells" and they are very understanding. I'm not embarrassed, but it makes me sad and frustrated sometimes that I have to deal with a problem like this. I've kind of learned to recognize when I'm having a bad day, and I keep my Xanax nearby. If I have to excuse myself for a few minutes to get myself calm, most people would only think I've gone to the restroom. Before I learned how to deal with it, I would actually leave shopping carts with groceries in them at the store, because I had to leave (fluorescent lights in stores are the worst for some reason). Now it only happens when I'm driving. If it is really bad, I'll pull over somewhere and melt a Xanax under my tongue and I feel better in minutes. Or I pull over and have someone else drive if they are with me.

My advice to you is not to worry about someone seeing you have an attack. The worry over that alone could cause you to have one...thus the vicious cycle of panic disorder. Take deep, slow breaths, suck on a breath mint, think about something else, and take a tranquilizer if you need to. A lot of people have this problem, they just don't talk about it because they don't want people thinking they are crazy (people who've never had a panic attack just can't comprehend how terrible it feels). We aren't crazy, we just have a problem with our body chemistry in response to stress. These health boards are a great place to come for support and suggestions on how to deal with this problem. Please don't allow yourself to hide at home. Many people with panic end up with agoraphobia and the best way to avoid it is to confront your fears as often as you can and reduce your stress load where you can.

Best of luck!

-SRMom

Closed Thread