It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 02:54 AM   #1
(female)

momy5 HB User
Anxiety with Heart Murmur

Does anyone know if having a mitral valve prolapse causes anxiety? I have had anxiety attacks since I was 15 (I'm 39 now) and somebody told me the other day that she has a mitral valve prolapse and that's what used to cause her to have anxiety attacks and now she's on a beta blocker. Is this true? I was doing o.k. for a while and now my anxiety attacks have started back up again. I do have a lot of heart palpatations caused from the heart murmur I always have. Would a beta blocker help my anxiety if it was caused from the mitral valve prolapse?

Old 09-08-2005, 04:43 AM   #2
(female)

awm38 HB User
Re: Anxiety with Heart Murmur

Go one page back and read my thread (To anyone having heart palpitations), i think that will answer your ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Yes. Anxiety is one of the biggest symptoms of MVP. I have done ALOT of reading about anxiety/panic and MVP is always mentioned. A beta blocker coud definatly help you. I have SVT (which is another benign heat condition) and I take a beta blocker. It helps ALOT!! Definalty decreases the palps and anxiety.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I totally agree, beta-blockers are great for stopping palpitations and reducing anxiety...especially if your main problem is anxiety caused by your palpitations. I took Atenolol and loved it. Run to your doctor

Old 09-09-2005, 02:07 AM   #5
(female)

momy5 HB User

Thank you for your responses. I can't believe that nobody told me this before now. I've been suffering from anxiety since I was a teenager and I ended up quitting school because of it. I didn't realize that one had anything to do with another. Doesn't a beta blocker make you sleepy though? I had a doctor who wanted to put me on them a while ago due to my heart skipping so much but I refused because I was scared to go on medication for the rest of my life but I guess maybe I should have.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I was never sleepy when I took Atenolol. I actually felt calm and assured that my heart wouldn't race when it shouldn't. Some people on these boards have said you can take these as-needed and not have to take them everyday. There are also several different dosages available and you can start with a low one to see how you do. In my opinion, taking a beta-blocker is way better than having to take antidepressants or tranquilizers...fewer to no side effects.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
(male)

edz61 HB User

Beta Blockers do help, the reason is that Beta Blockers such as indoral/propranolol, they lower your heart rate so when you have an attack your heart does not race as hard. Generally when you have an attack your heart rate increases which makes you think you are having a heart attack.

Heart Murmur or arithmia is scary but generally harmless. Excercise and relax by meditation. Sleep 6-8 hours soild a day and eat well and most of your problems will be gone. Ativan and Xanax also relax you and help significantly but you should cycle them so you don't get hooked on them. If I can help you in any way I will. {REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-13-2005 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Please don't provide off board contact information of any kind. Thanks, ms_mod

Old 09-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #8
(female)

lorbis HB User

I have MVP and am beginning to have issues with anxiety/panic. I'm also 44 and I believe perimenopausal. I'm not sure what is causing my anxiety, but I was extremely interested when I first read that MVP can cause it. I never knew this before.

However, I also have a very slow heart rate and I can't take beta blockers. My resting heart rate is around 40 and goes as low as 29 when I'm sleeping (believe me, I've had every kind of monitoring known to science).

I am currently taking a low dose of Zoloft, but I'm beginning to think that it might be making things worse, since I've read it can cause anxiety!

Any suggestions?

Old 09-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
(female)

tinker33 HB User

Hello everyone,
I am new to these boards and am very grateful to have come upon them.. About 6-7 months ago I entered into this world of heart abnormalities and now anxiety disorder. I believe the mix of the two have made me worse. I have to say I was amazed to find out that maybe there is a link between the two. I never thought of that. I was actually coming on to find out more about Zoloft. Anyway,
I am currently on Atenolol and although my heart feels much better I still feel the heavy racing, but it was better than the other medicine they had me on before. The Dr. said some people are just prone to feeling the beat more than others?? They thought at first it was my thyroid setting my heart off. Now that I have started what I know now as severe anxiety attacks they claim I have anxiety disorder. All I know is I can't understand how out of no where my life has totally changed and I am feeling worse and worse. I just want to feel like myself again. It is a terrible thing to go through and my support and prayers go out to anyone who feels the same.. Also I started taking Xanax the past month and they I started Paxil and though I was really loosing my mind. IThey wanted to start me on Effexor, but after researching all of the different drugs and having the experience I had with the Paxil I agreed to zoloft. Now I am suppose to start Zoloft tonight. I hope and pray that I made the right choice. I will soon find out.
I wanted to thank everyone for there input it is such a blessing to know that I am not alone and there are others out there that can relate.. God Bless

Closed Thread