It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #1
(female)

camtorres15 HB User
Beta blockers causing sweating?

Hi...I just started taking a beta blocker for my palps/anxiety 2 days ago. So far it's making me feel a lot better, but I have been sweating a lot! I dont know if it's just my nerves or if it can be a side effect of the med? Anyone else have an experience like that??

Old 09-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Beta blockers causing sweating?

I think a beta-blocker is actually supposed to help people who sweat as a result of anxiety. I don't remember sweating as a side effect for me. I've been sweating lately, but it's because I'm perimenopausal. Could it just be a hormonal thing you haven't thought of?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #3

dom peri HB User

i sweat alot so i need some beta blockers .. what are the safest or cheapest ones ?

Old 09-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
(female)

camtorres15 HB User

Well I am just finishing my menstrual cycle for the month, maybe that's why. I just don't remember sweating this much. Also, even though the beta blocker helps with my heart palps and such, sometimes I am still feeling a bit anxious. Does it take a while for my body to get really used to the beta blocker? I have Xanax to take as well if needed, but I try not to take it alot. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
(male)

uk_worried_guy HB User

DONT self-prescribe them, they must be issued under proper medical supervision as they do, effectively, slow your heart a little. It'll take your body 14-20days to 'adjust' to beta-blockers, doubt they cause sweating - but remember - sweating is really commonly associated with MANY things, weather, humidity, a bit of a virus, could be anything, dont fret yourself :-)

Old 09-09-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

camtorres15:

I agree with "worried guy" that you'll need some time to know how you are on the beta-blockers. If you are ending your cycle, that could very well be the reason. Our hormones fluctuate so much during this time. I don't know your age, but I am 45 and now I blame almost everything on hormones..lol!

When I was on beta-blockers, I did still feel anxiety sometimes, but my heart would stay calm, so I never went into a full-blown panic attack. Some anxiety is normal and I've noticed during my period, my anxiety level is at it's peak. I save the Xanax for times when I can't function because I'm too anxious...otherwise, I try to muddle through on my own.

Good luck with the beta-blockers...I'm hopeful they will be the answer for you!

-SRMom

Old 09-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
(male)

Rkoa63 HB User

I'm on a beta blocker and have been sweating alot lately. I think the 20 minute walk from the parking structure to my first class in 90 degree heat is to blame though (californians are so spoiled, we think 90 is hot). So i doubt the beta blockers are causing your sweating, but then again meds effect everyone differently.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #8
(female)

camtorres15 HB User

SR Mom~
yes, I am at the end of my cycle. In fact when my cycle started, that is when I had a major anxiety attack (this past Sunday night). Is it possible for hormones to cause such attacks? An by the way, I am 32 years old. I'm so confused b/c when I had the attack, I talked to my doc and that is why I am trying the beta blockers. But I am not sure if they are really doing anything or if I am just feeling better on my own? It's funny...all this has only been happening for a few weeks but I just want to feel "normal" again. I hate the thought of being on medication for the rest of my life. Thanks for your help!!

Old 09-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
(female)

holst HB User

I just read that one of the side effects of Beta Blockers is INCREASED sweating. You are definitely having a side effect of the drug.

Closed Thread