It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

Tiggerredz HB User
What does your chest pain feel like?

Hi,

I was wondering what everyone else's anxiety realted chest pain feels like? I have this stabbing pain on my left side, right under my heart. I have had ekg's and various other tests. Everything came back fine. I was recently diagnosed with a blood clot so now I have anxiety over one going to my lungs and this pain is a constant worry for me. The pain is there sometimes, not all of the time, think I bring it on, yet sometimes it hurts and that is what makes me aware of it. Any comments that would help? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #2

dom peri HB User
Re: What does your chest pain feel like?

i think i have the exact same thing, it only happens around 5 times a month or something, but its pretty scary i guess.

if it is infact a blot clot, i better stop eating those fat boy burgers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Tiggerredz:

Sometimes a "stabbing" pain in the chest can be a gas bubble or indigestion. Having said that, my anxiety related chest pain is sometimes a sharp pain, followed by tightness in my chest and tingling, or pain in my left arm. If I get worried about it, it makes it worse because I forget to breathe properly. I know I don't have heart problems, so I take a Xanax and the pain will go away. Sometimes it will go away with just an antacid like Zantac, or simple deep breathing exercises.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
(female)

Tiggerredz HB User

SRMom,

I think you may be on to something, it seems when the pain is at it's worst, I burp alot. So maybe that is all that it is. Thank you, for making me feel better! I also have pain in the left arm, etc. I hate this anxiety, it always makes you think the worst!

Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

Noticed the post today and it caught my eye..the last couple of days I have had just short/sharp pains across my chest and middle of back off and on..seems like it depends on if I'm sitting here at the desk or up walking around..am sure that it is from my working out at the gym and if I could lay down on the floor flat on my back they would quit BUT whenever I get ANY kind of pain in chest/back it scares the hell out of me...Trying deep breathing/relaxing but not helping bunches..Then I think, o.k. not heart, it's lungs....Lordy !!! Am taking some rolaids as we speak...Thanks to all who post..so nice to have people that do understand ANXIETY...

Old 09-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

For me it can be that stabbing pain or a tight and heavy feeling right in the center of my chest.I had that heavy feeling during labor with my last child and it took a whole night home for it to eventualy fade away,,,scared me to death.I also now get a mild sharp pain in my left arm that moves around and sometimes it can be in my back or left leg or foot.........sheesh how would we be able to tell if we were really about to have a heart attack or stroke.
Of course these are the things I think of when it happens,but the anxiety meds do help a whole lot

Old 09-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Mine are very similar to everyone else. I get it usually on the left side right under my breast or right under my rib cage. It can last anywhere from a second to 10 minutes off and on. I am starting to contribute that to gas and just bought some Gas X with Maalox..it seems to help. Often when this happens I automatically fear the worst and brings on other sx as well - left arm pain, dizziness, tight throat...then I REALLY think it is serious.

Man, my mind is so screwed up.

I really believe that we anxiety sufferers are simply EXTEMLY sensitive to every change, touch, stimuli, chemical...everything that happens to and inside our bodies. I think we feel things that happen to everyone, but that most people never notice, they never feel it. There is some part of our brain that makes us more sensitive to these things. And subsequently it turns on the fight flight panic button and it is a vicious cycle.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

read up on hyperventilation syndrome, it can produce panic attack like problems with chest pain

Old 09-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #9
(female)

kalaha HB User

Do some research on the benign condition called costocrondritis. It usually occurs on the left side, feels like stabbing pain, and comes and goes.

Closed Thread