It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
(female)

anxietysucks HB User
Question For Those of You Who Use/Used Beta Blockers

Just curious since I have never heard of beta blockers. If what I have read here is correct (and I haven't researched elsewhere), am I understanding this to slow down the adrenaline? I thought the anxiety attacks were caused by the GABA in your brain? If that's the case, couldn't a beta blocker be used alone without a benzo? Are beta blockers addictive?

Also, were you prescribed the beta blockers due to the anxiety/panic attacks, or did the doctor notice a higher than normal heart rate on an ongoing basis?

Old 09-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Question For Those of You Who Use/Used Beta Blockers

Hi anxietysucks:

I haven't heard of GABA, but my understanding is that panic attacks are caused by the fight or flight response (adrenaline surge) coming at random times due to anxiety overload and not in response to an actual stimulus, like being chased by a tiger. Beta-blockers block the affects of adrenaline.

I was originally prescribed beta-blockers because I had high blood pressure and palpitations. I noticed it also helped stop my panic attacks (never needed a benzo) and I had fewer migraine headaches too. Beta-blockers are not addictive and I also didn't notice any withdrawal when I stopped taking them. My doctor stopped prescribing them because I lost 45 pounds and my blood pressure went back to normal. When my headaches got bad, I asked if I could go on them again and he was fine with me doing that (I think he'd rather me take those than Xanax, which is addictive). Lately, I've been considering asking for them again because my anxiety has been pretty high for several months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
(male)

Rkoa63 HB User

I've been on a beta blocker for about 2 months now. It was perscribed to me for a irregular heartbeat and high blood pressure. I have a noticed a decrease in my anxiety since i've started taking them and when i do have them they are not as bad as they were before. Mostly because the beta blockers don't let my heart rate get out of control(which is what made my anxiety attacks worse). As far as being addictive; i would say no for myself(some people may be different), there are times when i completely forget to take my pill and end up remembering to take it about 5 hours later(i think if they were addictive i would be watching the clock waiting for my next "fix").When i asked my doc. if the beta blocker could be taken instead of my xanax he said that it MIGHT help with the anxiety, but just in case i should take the xanax if things get out of control.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I was prescribes a beta blocker (Inderal) for SVT/IST (not sure which I have). My heart rate would go to high and had many palpitations (PVCs). It just so happens that I am also very sensitive to adrenaline which is blocked by this med so it also helped my anxiety. It is a very safe, benign drug with little side effects. I plan to be on it forever. I really believe that this is all linked for me. I believe there is a sensitive neurotransmitter of some sort in my brain that makes me extra sensitive to any stimuli or chemicals. I think this is what caused the SVT and the anxiety. I think it is also why ppl get fibromyalgia. I think one day they will find these all to be linked to a wiring problem in the brain. Call me crazy..but I bettcha a buck!!

Old 09-09-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
(female)

livfortoday HB User

sorry to be a downer, but i take beta blockers for SVT and I still have big time anxiety. I have found for me anxiety drug work better for anxiety, and beta blocker are good for high blood pressure, fast heartbeats.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Yea, I dont think they will take away everyone anxiety by any means. For me my anxiety was greatly iniated by adrenaline, but other ppl's anxiety may not be. Also, I do need to take anti anxiety meds as well as it did not help entirly. But for me it does definatly help!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

faeriegirl25 HB User

I've been on a beta blocker for over a year now, I was given it for high blood pressure and palps as well. I really haven't noticed any change in anxiety.. unfortunately I still have a rapid pulse at times and believe that it doesn't help in my panic attacks.

Closed Thread