It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

redrainbow HB User
To anyone with SEVERE presentation anxiety

I'm OK with anxiety for now except when it comes to presenting. And I have to present two huge papers soon. (for school). I seriously think I'm going to get up there and not be able to breathe. It's happened before. I can't stop thinking about it all day either. You know, people think I'm so calm...just because I stay quiet to try to concentrate. BUt when I have to present something in front of people, I really freak out. If I actually can catch my breath enough to go through with it, I stumble through everything and say completely different things than what I would have said. I really hate getting so panicky. It seems like nothing works. WHen I'm up there it's "panic mode" Man, what can I do?

Old 09-10-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: To anyone with SEVERE presentation anxiety

I get stage fright too. The only thing I can suggest is to practice giving your presentation to a friend or a relative a few times before you have to get up in front of strangers. Sometimes the repetition of the material will help with your confidence, because you won't be as worried you'll mess up and embarrass yourself. Also, think about the worst case scenario...what if you mess up? The best thing to do is to make a joke and laugh. Laughter will produce endorphins that will give you a sense of well-being and reduce your anxiety. Remember to breathe deeply also, from your diaphragm. Shallow breathing can cause more anxiety. You could also ask a doctor for a tranquilzer, but it's better if you can do this without. Good luck.

Last edited by SRMom; 09-10-2005 at 11:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

a fairly large dose of any valium tyoe med will help a lot
I agree about paractising, also do a public speaking course later

Old 09-10-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I don't have any more anxiety about public speaking than I do anything else: as soon as I start speaking, I calm down- it's just the anticipation that provokes the panic attacks... However, last year in my Speech and Comp class, I was giving a speech, and I wasn't any more nervous about it than any other time, but halfway through it, my vision went black, my hearing was lost, I felt like I had to throw up, and I became so pale. I couldn't even hear myself speaking or see to look at my notes, but I got through the end, thank God. My teacher, who I'm very close with, asked me later on if I wanted to give the speech again because she knew it was uncharacteristic of me, but I just asked her to give me the grade I deserved b/c I hate getting special treatment and accommodations for my OCD- why I didn't ask for extra time to take tests or do assignments at the beginning of this year, my freshman year of college...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 09-10-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
(female)

Kiyuri07 HB User

Ah, stage fright it such a hard thing to overcome. Just last semester in college, I had to take a speech class. Ahh, I hated it soo much! I had to give 5-7minute long speeches! Ugh, I always got really panicy. I'm still like that too.. You just gotta find ways to make yourself feel comfortable. Tell yourself that pretty much EVERYONE in your class is probably feeling the same way as you! So, who cares if you mess up or mispronounce a word.. you know. Stage fright is soooo common! I hope you find ways to help you calm down! Before you go off to school, do situps! I heard that it gets your blood pumping..& your tummy won't feel as nervous. I can't explain it, but it works a little. =P Good luck!

Old 09-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
(female)

redrainbow HB User

Yeah man! I took a speech class, it was hell lemme tell ya. I really think taking the actual class made me more paranoid about speaking. Does that not suck? Hmm situps, I dunno, it's my last class of the day. Hah. Eeak! I feel just as nervous practicing in front of my sister or parents. What's up with that?! I really don't think I should take a muscle relaxer, but maybe I should keep one in my pocket in case? This thing isn't even for another 2 weeks. I need to get it off my mind!!

Old 09-12-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
(male)

eaap10 HB User

my best advice. Get familiar with your material: You probably already are and no body in that room will know more about the subject than you. Get familiar with the place: Go see where you are going to give the talk and stand there look up and imagine the people there and yourself talking to them. Have your first few sentences scrypt...once you get going the anxiety usually goes away and you should enjoy talking about your work. I have to deal with constantly I'm in the science field so I have to give presentations all the time. It was really bad until i started practicing the above.... trust me ..it will get better..start using positive talk and re assuring yourself and you'll do great.

Closed Thread