It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
(female)

princesscol HB User
Unhappy Need to know about meds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iím sure this has been talked about many times but I would just like to know overall which medicine has the least side effects and withdrawals. I was given a month supply of lexapro from my doctor but I have tried it yet. I feel like once I start the medication thereís no turning back. I used to have anxiety really bad. I couldnít breathe all day and everything would scare me and I thought I was going crazy everyday. Now I get attacks and canít breathe sometimes but itís not all day long. It feels like itís gotten better but Iím just mad it hasnít completely gone away yet. if there was medicine that I could take for the rest of my life and know I could be ok I would definitely do it but I hate uncertainty and I hate that thereís no guarantee. I though I could do it myself and get over this and one of my worst symptoms is treating the people I love horribly. Iím sick of telling my boyfriend ďNo I donít want to go there or do thatĒ because Iím scared of it. I donít want him to leave me. I love him so much Iím sick of being a bad girlfriend and a bad daughter. Every time I see my dad or he calls me I have the worst attitude. And on top of being sick of all that the number one thing Iím sick of is always having to apologize for me acting this way and having to let everyone know that Iím acting this way because of my anxiety. Sorry this is so long I guess I just had to let it all out. However, I would like to know what meds people have had the best results on so that I can at lest get an idea. As ironic as it sounds I need to get over the anxiety of taking medicine to help my other anxietyís. Its suck a vicious circle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
(female)

Derangea HB User
Re: Need to know about meds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi princesscol,

I'm glad you came here to vent and ask this question. I can definetley relate to anxiety about meds. I've been through it all... addiction, withdrawal, etc... really really bad. Lexapro is an antidepressant which might help with your anxiety. But it depends what comes along with your anxiety. Do you have crying spells alot? Is it worse for you in the morning? Do you have feelings of dread? Do you worry so much that you get sick to your stomach? Are you more irritable? All of these are definetley signs of anxiety but can also be caused by major depression. I just recently went through what you are describing. For a month I had constant anxiety and crying spells every morning. I tried to alleviate this by taking benzos such as Klonopin and Ativan but they only made me more depressed and didn't seem to be helping my anxiety much. You have to be careful with these meds because you can grow a dependency to them and its takes a long time to ween yourself off of them. So what I ended up doing was going on 40mg of prozac right away. Within a week I started feeling the difference. I'm currently coming off of Klonopin which will probably take another month and a half till its out of my system safely. My plan is to elimate my dependency to benzos and only use them as needed. For instance when I'm having a panic attack or have unsual high anxiety. But not daily because I'll get a dependence to them again. So my suggestion to you is try the lexapro but before you do get on the internet and find out as much as you can about it first. Try searching on these boards by typing in Lexapro and see how other people that tried it have thought about it. You may need an anti-anxiety med like xanax to keep panic attacks under control, but only as needed. I hope this helps you some and keep us updated on how you're doing. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
(female)

wiggles67 HB User

Hi

I take Lexapro and haven't had any side effects. BUT I started low because I get side effects from everything. I was prescribed 10 mg and cut them in 4's I took 1/4 at bedtime right before I went to sleep so if here were side effects I wouldn't feel them. I stayed on that for 2 weeks and now I am up to half a tab. I also take ativan when needed but I am a med phob, so I rarely take it unless I can lie down and go to sleep. I have been off work for 4 years now. My life has been ruined from anxiety. I get so light headed I think I will pass out anytime I go anywhere. Makes it difficult to live like this. I have received a bit of relief so far from the Lexapro but still cannot go out by myself. I don't know what brought it on. I do see a pdoc but I feel he is fed up trying to treat me as I am one of his hard cases. Hope this helps

Old 09-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

Was so glad to see this post today..made an appt. to see my GP today (she will be THRILLED) after a horrible week-end..actually it's been working up to this for 2 weeks..so many personal issues and yesterday had pain in both jaws, middle of back, dizzy (while sitting in Church)..took 1/2 zanex felt some better but tired all the time, don't really want to go anywhere..KNOW Dr. is going to be angry as she has told me I need antidepressent and I HATE all the side effects..Do you think lexapro is best ?
I know what you mean about anxiety ruining your life..it certainly has me..don't even like myself !!! Thanks to anyone that will respond to what has least side effects..

Old 09-12-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
(female)

Derangea HB User

When I ask myself about taking antidepressants and the side affects. I kind of do a weighing of if its worth it. When I was without an antidepressant I was jittery, had crying spells, everything was doom and gloom, was afraid to be around people because I had no inner security, restless sleep, morning dread... And now that I'm on an AD the bad things are it takes longer to orgasm, sometimes I feel numb, harder to gain ambition. Those are the only real negative side effects I've experienced with ADs. So I ask myself, is the bad side effects of taking an AD worth the bad side effects of not taking one. And the answer is yes, it is. There's no "perfect" drug that will give you everything you want and give you none of the bad. When it comes with medication you have to take the good with the bad. So when you're nervous about taking a medicine because of the side effects ask yourself if its even worth it. If it isn't then dont take it. If it is then maybe you should try it. If you dont like how it makes you feel you can always go off of it or try something else because everyone responds to things differently. For me I know that I wouldn't have lasted much longer if I didn't have this small boost from an AD. I'm also taking a mood stabilizer for my bipolar which seems to settle my anxiety somewhat. All I can say is research research research before you take anything. There are ALOT of things your doctor wont tell you, and you dont want to find out the hard way.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

Thanks Derangea ! you are so right about what you said.."If" I want to feel better then I HAVE to work through whatever side effects there are..stupid that I worry about the side effects when I'm having all these other symptoms from the anxiety..Thanks again for the encouragement..my Dr. will be thrilled if I really will take something and leave her the hell alone..(don't blame her either)and I will check out whatever she gives me..

Old 09-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I can't take any SSRI's because the side-effects are too bothersome for me, but I wanted to say that Prozac is the oldest, most studied and most trusted AD. My cousin has been on it for over 12 years and she swears it saved her life and she will never stop taking it. For other meds, the lower dose you take, the less you will feel side-effects. If a low dose helps, stick with that.

Also, princesscol, you aren't a "bad" girlfriend or daughter. You have an illness and you need some help. I'm sure the people that love you understand and will make some allowances as long as they know you are being proactive about getting help. Don't beat yourself up.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

I was on proxac a couple of years ago (10 mg.) took it, felt better in time and then quit because thought I was better and didn't HAVE to be on something...life was good...well, guess what ? I'm back to where I started and now need to start over again and probably know that I HAVE to be on them for life..and that's not all that bad IF you feel better and don't think you are having some medical problem everything you have a pain, running to the dr., having tests, crying, feeling hopeless and BEING worthless....right ? Thanks so much all of you for your encouragement and sharing your knowledge with me..Life can be better can't it ?

Old 09-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Princesscol,

I take Lexapro and there are hardly any side effects. In the beginning there was a little nausea and weird feeling. Now, I am using 15 mg of Lexapro and it really helps. I do not grouch at people (well, hardly ever). I can usually take the hard/anxiety times pretty well. I started at 5 mg, then 10 mg, then stopped at 15 mg. Some people go as high as 20 mg. If it keeps working, I will take it forever!

Good Luck, Do not be afraid of taking meds. Wannabe

Old 09-13-2005, 12:54 AM   #10
(female)

DueNApril09 HB User

I am currently weaning off of the anti-anxiety drug Effexor XR. Please, If you decide to start taking Lexapro, make sure you are aware of the possible side effects and the withdrawal effects if you decide to get off Lexapro in the future. I experienced terrible side effects (during and after) with Lexapro.

If you are looking for something to take for anxiety, this may sound crazy, but I has worked GREAT for me for the past couple of weeks. Barlean's Flaxoil... I take 2Tbps. a day mixed in orange juice. It seems to take the "edge off" and it is really good for maintaining good health and preventing diseases. You can buy it at most high-end health food stores.

Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

Saw my doctor yesterday afternoon..she was very kind and listened to all that I am dealing with right now and said she wanted me to start on prozac weekly..one pill once a week..bit the bullet this a.m and took it..am to stay on my zanex also..Right now I am at work..chest feels tight, have indigestion but other than that doing fair..just want something to work...Thanks all of you for your responses and support..God knows I need it !!!!

Old 09-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

dinney:

I'll be curious to hear how the weekly med works and if you experience bad side-effects.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

SRmom: I will keep you posted on the prozac weekly..it's noon now and this a.m. from time to time it's like a little dizzy spell will hit, stomach a little upset but hanging in there..KNOW I took a pill that will last until next Tuesday so we'll see..I took the BIG step for me..taking a pill in the first place..Thanks for your concern...just want to feel better and be able to not worry about my health all the time, getting stressed over everything..just live & love life !!

Closed Thread