It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User
Anyone having counselling for anxiety?

My health visitor called today to check on me and my 9month old daughter (i havent attended baby clinic for months). Anyway she did this 'edinburgh score' for postnatal depression and though i dont feel depressed (just {REMOVED} constantly anxious) i scored really high so now she's gonna chat with my gp to see about prescribing some meds (which i have a phobia about taking) and shes gonna refer me for counselling. She said they'd do excersies with me ie; encourage me to leave the house. Has anybody had a positive result or any ideas what to expect with counselling? Im scared they will have me reliving things from me past (which id rather leave there) in order to address my anxiety.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-12-2005 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Please use appropriate language. Thanks, ms_mod

Old 09-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Anyone having counselling for anxiety?

I've been told the only way to get better from anxiety is to confront the past issues that have led us to this place. I personally don't want to go there either, but figure I'll have to someday. I'd take advantage of the help they are offering you since you are getting it. I'd have to pay a lot of money if I wanted something like that. Try to count your blessings...it'll be better for your child too!

Good luck,
SRMom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

thanks, i hope i didnt come across as sounding ungrateful, but its that fear of facing past issues that sends me into panic mode even more, i once had hypnotherapy and it set me back no end, so i guess im scared of going down that road again. I know that counsellors/therapist ARE there to help, but its that fear of the unknown i suppose. Just plain old anxiety, when help is offered i always think theres a catch, crazy i know but im just plain old scared and anxious.
Thanks again for your quick reply.

Old 09-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

there are many different types of counselling and searching for hidden "causes' in your past is 1 of them but generally isnt helpful

the CBT type of counselling teaches you to let go of unneeded fears and anxiety and is much more helpful
we should be concerned with the present and the future, OMO

are you having panic attacks or afraid of a panic attack if you leave the house?

Old 09-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I'm in therapy weekly, and I begin my real CBT lessons in two weeks. I also get EMDR done about once every three-four months.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 09-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

I do find that if i have to leave the house (i havent really been anywhere only to go food shopping once a week) i panic something terrible. I think im gonna have heart attack or something terrible is gonna happen to me whilst im out. Even though i have panic attacks at home, i somehow feel safer there. I get scared in case i pass out or something and someone calls an ambulance that i dont really need cause im just having a panic attack (dont know if that makes sense).
I want my life back i wont walk anywhere cause i think i cant breathe, wont drive cause that freaks me out too. I want to take me baby out for walks and things, but i feel like a prisoner in my own body (and home).
Can therapy really undo whats in your mind and make you more rational?
Im scared of opening up old wounds, but if it helps i suppose its worth a try, but is it old wounds thats turned me into the anxious hypocondriac iam today.

Closed Thread