It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
(male)

hfd154 HB User
New to anxiety...need some help

Anyone suffering with anxiety still awake tonight. I'm new to this website and to anxiety and would love some help.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User
Re: New to anxiety...need some help

What symptoms are you having now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
(male)

hfd154 HB User

today it was feeling off balance all day. it's usually like that for me everyday. I've been having bad allergies this year with alot of sinus pressure and clogged ears. i worry about being off balance which i'm sure doesn't help? most of the time my biggest fear is that i'm going to pass out. Every time i get like that i check my bp on my grandmother's machine and it is high, but never low. I just don't know if they off balance is allergies, anxiety, both and i think that's what gets me worked up.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

hfd,

Sorry I didnt get back sooner. Sounds as if your allergies are causing the feeling of losing your equilibrium and that feeds your anxiety more. Are you only any allergy meds to clear up the congestion in your sinuses? The sinuses do affect the inner ear, hence the reason your feeling off balance. Now for your blood pressure, it could anxiety, what are your numbers? Are you a smoker, overweight, age plays a factor, and of course if you get worried about the being off balance will shoot up the #'s also. When using a BP monitor make sure it is suited for you, the elderly sometimes need smaller cuffs, and if your grandmothers cuff is too small for you, your not getting an exact reading. Have you taken it while never being off balance and it be normal? That would be a good indicator of anxiety.
Is one of your main anxiety symptoms that play into the feeling that you may pass out? Any other symptoms? Learning correct breathing techniques, diagphramatic breathing is something you might want to look up about and learn. I helps during those times that you feel you can't breath properly, it starts with a subtle hyperventilation that you truly arent aware of, these can help.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

If your blood pressure is often high and you are having panic attacks, ask your doctor about prescribing a beta-blocker. It will help lower your blood pressure, regulate your heartrate and hopefully in turn, reduce your anxiety. If you are taking a decongestant with pseudoephedrine in it for your allergies (like Claritin D), you should stop taking that and only take the kind for people with high blood pressure (Coricidin HBP). Try to keep in mind that people with panic attacks rarely pass out. If you practice the proper breathing techniques, it is highly unlikely you will pass out. You can try breathing into a paper bag if you are hyperventilating, or put your head between your knees if your are dizzy. Good luck, hope you feel better.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
(male)

hfd154 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I have been taking over the counter meds but they seem to make my anxiety worse. For my bp, when i'm not worked up it's 132/80. When I'm worrying about everything it goes to 170/100 sometime lower. It seems that I spend the whole day dwelling on feeling off balance which definetly can't help. For your other questions i'm a 25 year old male, i'm a very light smoker, not overweight, and try and stay active when I don't worry myself to the point of not leaving home. It seems as the off balance consumes my thoughts for most of the day.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

132/80 is on the high side for a normal BP, especially if you aren't overweight. I would definitely quit smoking. I know that's easier said than done, because I used to smoke too, but you really need to if you suffer from HBP and anxiety. Caffeine is bad too. I hope you'll talk to a doctor soon.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
(male)

hfd154 HB User

I just tried something. I havent smoked a cigarette all day and my bp is much lower. It's 125/74. I'm also not that tense and I also haven't taken any decingestants today. My doctor has checked my bp on nmerous occasions and when i'm not all wound up he said it was fine. The high bp only occurs when I'm very tense or during an attack. It;s not like that on the good days.

Old 09-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
(male)

edz61 HB User

Hello all:

I am a single male who has been dealing with anxitey for 3 years now. I have done it all, meds, counceling, group therapies, doctors, Psychologists
Psychiatrists......................I have been to the emergency room several times thinking I was dying.

I now have finally learned how to deal with this beast and I am 99% better. Don't let anyone tell you what's right or wrong for you to do. Everyone is different, some need medications and some don't. Either way it's nothing to be ashamed of. Many people that you know have experienced anxiety but they keep it to themselves until you tell them you have the same problem. Get it out and talk about and don't be bashful. You have to understand something that you are not going to die because of anxiety, it's your mind with so much power making you feel the way you do. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU. Yes it's scary but I can give you some gr8 tips and help you so much as I have been there and done that and have tried almost anything and everything. {REMOVED}

God bless

Ed

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-13-2005 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Please don't post off board contact information of any kind. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Old 09-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #10
(male)

hfd154 HB User

Thanks for the advice. Definetly would be interested on how you beat it. Some days i feel awesome and some I feel like hiding under my bed. I did learn one thing today though. I have been using afrin nasal spray all summer and the side effects from over using it are VERY similar to symptoms of panic attacks. But anyways, would definetly like to hear the advice. I'm a 25 year old male.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Oh yes...decongestants are the worst for people with anxiety. I hope you will feel better after discontinuing the Afrin. I was hooked on Afrin last year because I thought my stuffy sinuses and ears were causing me to be dizzy. Later, my panic attacks increased and I thought I had a sinus infection. My doctor told me to stop using it completely. This year when allergy season came, I only used the Afrin once.

Closed Thread