It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

princesscol HB User
Question about Flax Oil?

I just went to the health food store on my lunch at work and got flax oil to help with my anxiety but I think I got the wrong stuff. When I bout it on the bottle it said Barlean’s Forti-Flax. Is this the right stuff?

Old 09-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User
Re: Question about Flax Oil?

I'm not sure but I think Barlean's Forti-Flax is flaxseeds. Did you get it off the shelf, or from the refrigerator/freezer?

I use Barlean's High-Lignon Flax Oil. You find it in the refrigerator section at the health food store. It must be kept in the refrigerator or the freezer (remember, oil doesn't freeze, it just thickens) and NEVER cook with it or include it in recipes to be baked.

Both the Barlean's flaxseeds and flaxoil are the right stuff. You can mix either one in food or take them straight. I don't like taking the flaxoil straight so I mix it in my smoothies. I make a "tea" from the flaxseeds by heating some diluted cranwater, spoon 3 tbsp of coarse-ground flaxseeds into a coffee cup. Add about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and a little sweetener. Stir well as you add the hot cranwater and then let it steep a few minutes before drinking. It's especially good if you first toast the flaxseeds in a low oven.

Just be sure that if you use flaxseeds, you need to grind them coarsely or they'll just slide right on through you. You can get a small Braun coffee grinder at Wal Mart for about $l5.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
(male)

edz61 HB User

Flax Seed oil will not help anxiety. You need to sleep well and eat well and exercise. You need to meditate and do deep breathing. No smoking, no caffeine, not much drinking, red wine is okay. As for meds stay from them all.

Beta Blockers generally work pretty good. Also if you can cycle them and not take them all the time (they can be addictive) Xanax and Ativan work pretty good. The rest of the drugs have really bad side affects.

I have dealt with this beast for 3 years and I am 99% better. I will help anyway I can.

{REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-14-2005 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Don't post off board contact information of any kind. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Old 09-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

its doubtful that flax seed oil gives any more help than the placbo effect but try it if you want to

this stuff is being promoted as a magic cure for almost everything.....tastes terrible so try to get it in capsules
the placebo effect for anxiety sufferers is said to be about 50%

Closed Thread