It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

boiler454 HB User
Help Please.

I thought that I had anxiety and constant worrying. So my regular doctor gave me lexapro. I took just 2 pills and felt like i was out of it. Then 2 days later I had my first attack. I was feeling just overwhelemed at once and just a real down feeling came over me and all I could do was think of death not really kill myself, but death and then all I could do was think help me , and I called my wife. Then I started crying because it scared me that bad. I thought it was the lexapro, because I have never experinced anything like that in my life. So, I went to the doctor and he put me on zoloft. I took it for 11 days and experienced this same feeling 5 more times. It feels almost like a wave of medicine coming over me. I quit the zoloft with doctor permmession this past Saturday and I had another attack Sunday. I was bowling with my little girl after church at a birthday party. All of a sudden I started feeling low as could be and then I had the thoughts of I am going crazy and death. I then went home and got scared about it and cried to my wife again. I still think it was the lexapro and zoloft. Maybe it wasn't. Monday and today were pretty good days. Nothing that intense has come over me. I don't feel depressed. I just wonder if it was from the medicine or if these are anxiety attacks. I dont panic or get phsyical symptoms, I just get down all of a sudden and then I feel like i have lost it, and then I get scared. I was worrying a lot before I tried the lexapro, but I have never had this happen until after the med. The doctor says it couldn't be the med that quick. I don't understand having real good days and then having such a feeling of despair come over me. It isn't really suicdal but it makes all kinds of thoughts run through my head. Then I get scared about just what happened. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Help Please.

seems to be panic attacks, read uyp on panic attacks on the net, although scary, they wont kill you or send you crazy
lexapro and zoloft are both prozac type meds and can eventually help a lot with anxiety and worry but often cause severe early side effects, the first tablet can cause a person to have their first panic attack
occasionally a bad reaction from the first tablet can cause an ambulance trip to hospital, something many docs dont know or refuse to accept

I think your panic attacks would have started later without the meds anyhow.....
a course of any valium type meds will help you a lot along with learning relaxation and some gentle exercise, I would refuse any more antidepressants for now, you may have to try several docs to find 1 who will prescribe valium for your problems, many sadly have been brainwashed into prescribing antidepressants only, even if theres already been a bad reaction to one of them

if you have another panic attack, dont tense up or fight back, try to relax and accept whats happening and do breathe deep and slow
as mentioned theres lots about panic attacks and dealing with them on the net

self help books on overcoming worry have useful advice

Old 09-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi boiler:

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Many of us on these boards have talked about our negative experiences with SSRI antidepressants. For some reason they have a terrible affect on some people with anxiety. The most common thing you will read is that Xanax, Ativan or other benzos are the most helpful for panic/anxiety and obsessive thought about health or other things. It's not uncommom to feel like you're going to die with anxiety attacks. One of the main symptoms of panic disorder is the fear of losing control. We've all been where you are now...it sounds like you are just starting on this journey of trying to feel normal and happy again. If you have any questions or just want to vent, let us know. The people here are great.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

boiler454 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMom
Hi boiler:

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Many of us on these boards have talked about our negative experiences with SSRI antidepressants. For some reason they have a terrible affect on some people with anxiety. The most common thing you will read is that Xanax, Ativan or other benzos are the most helpful for panic/anxiety and obsessive thought about health or other things. It's not uncommom to feel like you're going to die with anxiety attacks. One of the main symptoms of panic disorder is the fear of losing control. We've all been where you are now...it sounds like you are just starting on this journey of trying to feel normal and happy again. If you have any questions or just want to vent, let us know. The people here are great.
Would that kind of attack make me feel down all of a sudden and make me feel like i am crazy. I have all kinds of death thoughts all of a sudden. after I cry and talk to my wife about it, I then feel good again and actually feel relief. She has been so good to me since the blood pressure and this anxiety. I don't feel so anxious, yet I worry that I am going to have one of these episodes again. My regular doctor keeps saying anxiety. I didn't know that I could have attacks without the breathing hard and heart racing stuff. But my doctor said you could have all kinds of sysmptoms with a anxiety attack. Thanks for the help. I have thought about seeing a pshcatrist. My insurance pays, would this be helpful?

Old 09-13-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Yes, when I read your first post, it sounded like a panic/anxiety attack to me. They do make you feel like you're going crazy and when they happen to me, I still cry on my husband's shoulders if I have a panic attack, and I've been having this problem on and off for over ten years. The statement you made..."I don't feel so anxious, yet I worry that I am going to have one of these episodes again." is also a classic symptom of panic disorder. After the first episode, that generally feels like it came out of nowhere, you become persistenly fearful it will happen again, and it usually does. If your insurance will pay for a psychiatrist, that is the right person to see. If that doctor doesn't see you for talk therapy, you could also see a psychotherapist who specializes in panic/anxiety disorders.

I know you will get some other responses that will help you too. Keep asking questions when they come to mind...it's the best way to figure out what you personally need to do.

-SRMom

Last edited by SRMom; 09-13-2005 at 06:01 PM.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:43 AM   #6
(female)

rainy_daze HB User

I experienced the same thing when I started Celexa. I never experienced panic attacks until after I started medication. So right now I am on 5mg of Lexapro which is just enough to keep them under control.

You might have experienced the panic attacks eventually or the medication merely took what was already there and made it worse. My doctor gave me Ativan to take while I adjusted to the Lexapro. I do believe there is a connection between the panic attacks and meds.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:56 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

boiler454 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy_daze
I experienced the same thing when I started Celexa. I never experienced panic attacks until after I started medication. So right now I am on 5mg of Lexapro which is just enough to keep them under control.

You might have experienced the panic attacks eventually or the medication merely took what was already there and made it worse. My doctor gave me Ativan to take while I adjusted to the Lexapro. I do believe there is a connection between the panic attacks and meds.
I had a good day yesterday. I was feeling all of a sudden low and a little nervous a few minutes ago, and then started worrying about myself. Is this the anxiety or am I deppressed. I don't think I am deppressed. I can be perfectly fine and then I just get really a low feeling and then I feel like I need to call a doctor or tell someone how I am feeling. It then makes me feel unsure of what is going on. I don't get the breathing hard or the heart palpitations or anything like that. It is just a feeling that sets in. Is this anxiety?

Closed Thread