It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 04:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

layla= HB User
These pills have made me worse

I have started taking cipralex, which i just found out is lexapro, or whatever it is.
The thing is when i took the first one within 4 hours i was having really bad attacks, shortness of breathe a feeling of being really closed and sweating, this continued through the night and i woke up tues at 3 am having another one this lasted 2 hours before i managed to get back to sleep, on tues i couldn't do anything as i felt so bad. Last night i took another and tried to ignore the attacks, then this morning i woke up and didnt know where i was, it really freaked me out.
I started a community developement course today and spent the best part of the 2 hours sweating and feeling really close again, i managed to get some air and talk to my tutor which was helpful as now next week i wont feel so bad about asking for some air. I dont think i want the pills as i feel 200% worse since starting them, at least before it was only the morning now its all day at any time. I made another appointment with my gp for tomorrow and i think i wont touch the pills.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User
Re: These pills have made me worse

What dose did you take? I had to start small 5mg and I had to take it in the Morning. I started in April and remember thinking I could Never handle more than 5 mg and now I take 20 and feel great.
It was a rough two weeks at first but then the side effects subsided.
Some people do better taking it in the morning I know I do.
Both my Doctors told me it was okay to break the pills and take them throughout the day. I got a pill cutter and take ten at about 8am and the other half at 12.
Your body needs time to adjust. Ask you GP about spliting the dose or taking a smaller one (I don't know what you took).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 05:26 AM   #3
(male)

kingam HB User

i put this into another thread, but im convinced that these attacks on new medication is all in our head. when i started zoloft three days ago i was having attacks like crazy, but it was because whenever i would feel dizzy, or hot, or anything else from the zoloft i would get nervous i was having an attack which would in turn give me one...

once the snowball gets rolling, its hard to stop.. but just realize that the medicine will help you.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

layla= HB User

I am only taking 5mg at the moment, and was supposed to increase it after a couple of weeks, i did not expect to get side effects and was completely shocked when i did, i tried yesterday and no i gave myself the panic attacks to start with.But over the last 2 days, especiallt today i really dont feel myself, i didn't know where i was this morning and i've lived at my house for two years, its really freaked me out as i want to get better not hide my problems.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I remember waking up and feeling like death at first! Body aches headaches etc... almost hung over. It does get better though. The first day I took mine I happened to land in a ER place with my daughter with a ragging ear infection and panic hit hard!!!!
I got stuck in the waiting room for hours and was really having anxiety.
Now I feel like a new person. Even my husband said he can live with the sexual side effects because I am doing so good.
You can even break the 5 in half if need be. Remember the chemcial make up is changing in you brain. Once you get through that first week or two it should be smooth sailing.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

layla= HB User

When do you think you will stop taking yours? I spoke to people who have been on them for 10 years plus and as little as a couple weeks.
I dont want to sound stupid but i want to be able to know what i am feeling and the last 2 days have been hell, anxiety for me has never been this bad, a couple of hours then i was fine, but im sweating out i smell where i sweat so much i am having three baths a day, so i am thinking would it be better if i was to take a mild sedative or something as and when i need it, i have nearly given up the weed down to a puff on some one elses spliff to take the edge off, as just a cigarette gives me an anxiety attack now, i havent been stoned for ages as i cant handle the panic it gives me.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Well the spliff might make you paranoid about taking it etc...
I don't think I will go off of it period! I pray it keeps working for me.
I am doing things I never did. Since starting we got a boat which I would have never even steped on one. I got my kids a trampoline which use to scare me half to death, I take road trips my life has done a complete turn around. I don't ever want to go back to the old scared me.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

layla= HB User

I relate to the the trampoline and the kids
But thats me anyway i'm paranoid of everything
I understand the pills make us feel better but i dont want to feel better i want to be better, just be normal, mental health problems run rife through my family and my dad is as mad as a hatter, he will NEVER be himself again, my mum was the same but after 3 years stopped the seroxat and over the last 3 years has been trying to rebuild her life.
I want to be happy and normal without all this especially if i have to go through a period of feeling worse, i am hoping that just doing this for the last couple of days is enough to get me out of the routine i was in before, I have survived 6 years I never wanted therapy before now, and think that i could do with some sort of therapy to help rebuild my life, instead of smokin weed and takin pills, even cigarettes I just dont want to keep putting {REMOVED} in my body.( I reckon that this will stop me smoking anyway as i really cant smoke at the moment)I eat healthily, although the last 2 days i havent really eaten (a bacon sandwich and a packet of crisps since mon)
Thankyou for talking me through this i was feeling really bad when i came home and this was the first place i went.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-14-2005 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Do not used censored words. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Old 09-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Anytime!! I can relate. This is the first time I have felt normal in 12 years. My anxiety started when my first child was born. The worry of Motherhood took on a Life of it's own. They were really not happy never being able to do anything, go anywhere and having a Mom afraid of everything.
I tried therapy and it was not good for me at all. I was so disappointed. I went for help and coping skills and all he did was give me samples of Lexapro and tell me to keep coming back for more damn samples. I was hoping for skills to deal with panic etc but all he did was tell me stuff I already knew and sucked my bank account.
After two months I just gave up and went to my GP because he would not give me a script for the Lexapro. He wanted his payments from me and the insurance company .
Someone on here had posted while I was starting Lexapro and going through what you are and said ride it out to get to the other side! He was so right. Your appetite will pick up too. I actually missed that manic feeling once the side effects wore off LOL<

Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 AM   #10
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I thought my mother was nuts. She said the same thing as you. She said she was more full of anxiety then before. So maybe they can mess with different people differently. I take 20mg a day, I was on 30mg but I thought that was overkill. I had sweating issues with Effexor XR, I was out of breath and really really hot at the littlest of things. I stayed on it for six months and had to stop. The symptoms never went away. So if they do not agree with you after a few weeks then get off of them. Good luck

Old 09-14-2005, 07:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

layla-

Can you see a CBT therapist to try to work out your problems while you are on the meds? Then once you have a handle on working things out yourself you can stop taking the meds. I honestly believe that for *most* of us we are going to have anxiety probs the rest of our lives if we don't find successful treatment for it. We can treat the symptoms with meds and even go through good bouts where our anxiety is virtually non-existent, but I don't think it will ever just go away. I am skeptical about therapy because I have been to one counselor and all it did was drain my pocketbok, but I'm sure if I can find the right therapist I can do it (no matter how long it takes).

Don't give up yet, as everyone else said there are initial side effects but when they go away you should feel a lot better. My dr didn't warn me of any side effects either the last two times I took ADs. At least he gave me benzos though to ward off the initial side effects. I can't believe as common as these prescriptions are now doctors STILL don't tell people everyhting they need to know.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

wow im sorry your feeling all that junk.I take Lexapro 10 mg every morning and the only side effect I had when starting out was dizziness/ligheadedness.That went away after about 2 weeks.I know it can be different for different people though.I agree try it a little longer if those side effects dont start to go away ask about a diff med.I would also ask your doc about a benzo too.I also agree that you should try getting into counseling/therapy.I hope you feel better soon that sounds miserable

good luck

Old 09-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I gave Paxil a full four weeks and felt AWFUL the entire time, everything and more that you describe. I also gained weight and had sexual side effects, both of which are unacceptable to me. I had Xanax too and ended up eating them like candy. My doctor took me off the Paxil at my one-month checkup and told me to see a therapist (haven't done that yet...I'm very skeptical and don't have money to waste). I think some people just can't take these meds and I'm one of them. I still take Xanax, but only once or twice a week at the most.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

bkm4673 HB User

cipralex is not lexapro ..........do you know which one you are taking because im about to strat lexapro and you made me more worried to take it and im a 32 yr old male? thanks

Old 09-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi guys,

FYI: Cipralex and Lexapro are both brand names for the generic drug escitalopram.

Closed Thread