It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

anxietysucks HB User
I Saw A Psychologist Yesterday

I liked the psychologist. It's costly though. I have to pay out of my pocket and get reimbursed from my insurance company. Now there's an anxiety attack waiting to happen.

Anyway, I felt very comfortable. I explained to him that I was out of my Xanax (cold turkey - what a nightmare just one day can be) and didn't think my GP was feeling comfortable prescribing them anymore after 2 1/2 years of giving it to me monthly. The psychologist said that he would prefer no meds, but at this point he would not recommend me not taking them. So he wants to talk to my GP today, and tell him to keep me on the Xanax and Effexor.

So the short of it is that I asked him what was wrong with me. Why can't this go away. In short he said I was depressed (I always get that one). I asked how he figured. He said alot of people who suffer from anxiety attacks tend to be problem solvers, goal oriented, put others first, and suppress their feelings, etc. He wants to see me weekly for a while.

I called my doctors office this morning to tell them I needed a prescription called in. They said my GP was going to be out of the office today and no other GP could call it in. Anxiety attacks aside, I don't know how people go cold turkey off Xanax. Talk about clenching yours jaws, and jumping out of your skin!

I like the talk therapy. I think it will do me good. Hope everybody has a good anxiety free day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User
Re: I Saw A Psychologist Yesterday

Anxiety,

Glad you found some one who you feel comfortable with, sometimes it takes seeing a few before you feel one truly understands or at least you can express your feelings, without dismissal. Glad your psychologist will be calling your GP, you cannot go cold turkey on xanax. Psychiatrists (which are more expensive) luckily can prescribe medications. I wish you the best towards peace of mind.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

anxietysucks-

How long have you been on effexor? I didn't know you were taking that. Doesn't that help your daily anxiety at all?? I thought thats what it was for. Are you taking a high enough dose?

Glad you liked your first psych appointment. No matter what he or she says though, you keep in mind what it is you are feeling and what you think will help you best - no one can tell you waht you are feeling or what you have based on their experiences with other patients. If you ever start feeling like this therpaist isn't helping or is not really addressing your problems don't feel guilty about looking for another. I'm not saying that's going ot happen, but I was seeing a counselor for a while that was a great guy and I always felt good tlaking to him, but he never resolved anything for me. Being the nice person I am, I kept seeing him at $100 a week til my husband finally MADE me quit.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
(female)

anxietysucks HB User

Hi Mjewell - I should have been more clear. I was prescribed Effexor but don't take it because of the side effects. I have taken every AD out there, and the side effects always intensify my anxiety. I just let me GP write the script to appease him because he doesn't want me on Xanax by itself.

I agree with the cost. This psychologist is charging me $125 and wants to see me weekly. I don't know about that. It's a vicious cycle trying to get the right help.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

self help books and courses on overcoming anxiety are a cheaper alternative to a psychologist
xanax is better taken only as needed, with a few tablets carried with you always when out for emergencies
we all have our calm days when xanax isnt needed
remember that for most, a dose of xanax only lasts a few hours

Old 09-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

hry33, anxietysucks suffers from persistent ongoing anxiety daily, so the Xanax "as needed" doesn't work for her, plus her anxiety is bad enough that I think she would do best with some help from a professional before venturing out on her own with the self-help.

anxietysucks, this is just my opinion and you can take it or leave it, but I really think you should try the Effexor for a while. You said you had expereinced bad side effects with other ADs, but I was just wondering how long you were on them? Did the side effects just never go away, or did you quit taking them after a few weeks? Also, did you have Xanax when you tried them? The Xanax should help combat those effects, and in most cases the side effects shouldn't last longer than a couple of weeks. The theory is that ADs really help persistent anxiety like yours so you don't have to be reaching for your xanax every couple of hours. But like I said, maybe you did already try that.

Closed Thread