It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User
Anyone else on Amytriptaline?Help!

I've been on Amytriptaline for a week now (don't know what other name it might be called)

My doc prescribed it for my Fibromyalgia and also for the anxiety/panic I've been having for the last few years. Well, I though my anxiety was bad before,but the last week has been hell.

Since starting this med I have had the worst anxiety ever! Also drowsy, bad gastric stomach problems, dreaming all night and feeling so 'out of it' in my mind.Then to cap it all I've put on 5lbs in the last week since starting the tablets!!

Is anyone else using this med and do these awful side effects go?
(My doc is away on hols at the moment so I have to persevere till next weeK!)

Thanks

Old 09-14-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

awm38 HB User
Re: Anyone else on Amytriptaline?Help!

This is an older type antidepresant, didnt know it was used anymore. The brand name is Endep....i took this years ago for headaches. The only thing i remember about it was the weight gain, and tiredness until you get use to it, a few weeks i think. Not sure it helped with headaches either....lol, maybe you should ask your Dr. for something else if you keep having the problems. Good Luck!

Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to hopefull'
all antidepressants can make us more anxious at first, your med is an older tricyclic type and generally these have more side effects than the later types

a very low starting dose sometimes helps or you may be better stopping it and maybe trying some other antidepressant later

Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

It's also called Elavil...my doc once gave it to me when the SSRI I was taking caused too many problems. Then another doctor gave it to me because of migraines. Both times I stopped taking it because of the bad side-effects (weight gain, sleepiness, etc.), but before I did, my doc suggested cutting the pills in half. Maybe you could try that? From what I understand it is a common prescription for Fibromyalgia.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Thanks to you all for your replies.

It helps so much to know I'm not the only one who has experienced these awful side effects. I really thought I was going crazy today.

I just wonder will I keep gaining weight at this rate while I'm on the tabs,cos if I do I'll end up huge

Hopeful.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

the tablets dont cause weight gain
weight is gained thru eating more and/or exercising less
some meds do encourage compulsive eating sometimes though

Old 09-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
(male)

smc612 HB User

i have taken elavil several different times over th eyears. sometimes 10 mg sometimes 25 mg. at first very sleepy if i took it too late at night. each time i took it i gained around 15 pounds without changing my eating habits and likewise within 2-3 weeks after i stopped lost the 15 pounds without dieting. it may be water weight but i have gained without eating more so it does something to the body . my husband has been taking between 50-75 mg. for 2 years for chronic pain and insomnia. has had no side effects but he takes it 6:00 p.m. or he would be in bed until noon the next day.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:07 AM   #8
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel54
i have taken elavil several different times over th eyears. sometimes 10 mg sometimes 25 mg. at first very sleepy if i took it too late at night. each time i took it i gained around 15 pounds without changing my eating habits and likewise within 2-3 weeks after i stopped lost the 15 pounds without dieting. it may be water weight but i have gained without eating more so it does something to the body . my husband has been taking between 50-75 mg. for 2 years for chronic pain and insomnia. has had no side effects but he takes it 6:00 p.m. or he would be in bed until noon the next day.
Angel54, Like you, I haven't changed my eating habits in the past week,but still have put on 5 lbs!And my anxiety is worse since starting the tabs. I now also have the added anxiety of weight gain.

Good tip about taking the tab at 6pm, I take it at 8.30pm and can't wake up at my usual time next morning.I'm very lucky that my great hubby gets the 3 kids ready for school while I 'try' to come round!! I will try 6pm today and see how I go.How long were you on the amitryptaline when you gained the 15lbs? Did you have sick stomach and heartburn like I do? I had gastritis a little while back but it had settled down until going on these tabs now.

Thanks,
Hopeful

Old 09-15-2005, 08:36 AM   #9
(female)

mayansun HB User

I have a prescription (10mg / day) for migraines and I have taken it off and on. I did take it at night so the sleepiness actually was a benefit and I did notice weight gain and it exacerbated my daily dizziness but did help with headaches so I'm looking into other options.

Closed Thread