It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
What medication do you use for health anxiety?

What medication do you use to combat your health anxiety? I have finally come to terms with the fact that I have severe health anxiety and need to conquer it.

I was on a beta blocker for almost a year and didn't like it. It helped but I need something that I will not have to "slowly get myself off of if I start it...." I hate withdrawal. Just thinking that I was stopping a pill that regulated my heart made me nervous. I want something that I can take from time to time when the anxiety kicks in to help calm me down and take the edge off.

Heartfelt thanks for any and all posts!

Old 09-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: What medication do you use for health anxiety?

any valium type med is what you need, good luck in getting any, most docs nowdays demand you take an antidepressant only
BTW a beta blocker can be taken only as needed for anxiety

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the reply. I guess there are many types of beta blockers and mine was just the type that when you start it you must not stop it suddenly.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I take beta blockers but I take them for rapid heart beat. Never notice them doing a thing for anxiety! I am currently looking for a different one to take due to insurance issues. I take Inapram XL 80mg once a day.
I also take 20mg of Lexapro which has been nothing short of a God Send for me.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Bell99 -

So your saying that Lexapro helps you with your anxiety? Do you take it everyday or as needed? I'm looking for advise on something to take "as needed" when the anxiety hits.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I take it every day and it has saved me!
The problems with Valume according to several Dr.'s I have seen is our bodied metabolize it real fast hence the effect doesn't last long. I have a script for it but find I can not take it at all during the day and function. I have two kids so I can't be all out of it. With the Lexapro I don't have the anxiety at all anymore and do things I would have never done before. I had several bad experiences with other meds. It's hit or miss really and what will work for you.
One thing to help get through the attack is to take deep slow breaths in through your nose and slowly let it out through you mouth. I use to sit and tell myself "I'm not going to die" it was awful.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

Most doctors will put on something you need to take daily. I was put on effexor xr and xanax. Xanax, I only take when I feel like I need it. I had told my doctor that I didn't want to be on something that I had to take daily. I don't think they listen very well. Now that the effexor is working, It has helped me tremendously!! I am only gonna be on it for a little while longer. She, my doc, wanted me to take it at least six months. But, like you said, you have to be weaned off of it! What a joy!

Old 09-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Ativan worked well for me. I am now taking Klonopin but it doesn't seem to help me as much. Ativan worked much quicker for me.

deb

Old 09-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I take Xanax as needed only for my anxiety. I am happy like that for now, and hopefully will always be. I don't want to take any AD's ever again. I would take the beta-blocker every day before I'd go on AD's again.

Last edited by SRMom; 09-15-2005 at 05:40 PM.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #10
(female)

newbie200 HB User

I'm looking for the same thing.
I am a hypochondriac, and it's controlling my life.
My doctor once gave me Zoloft but I was afraid to take it.
Recently I have been thinking of starting it, but I know it's not something that you can take as needed, it takes a while to get into your system and work, and even after that, who knows if it will.
Does anyone have any input on Zoloft for hypochondriasm?
When I get any little ache or pain or any kind of symptom I think I am dying and I am sick of feeling this way. Mostof the time, I can't even tell if the symptom is really there or if I am imagining it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Melissa

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-16-2005 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Please e-mail mod1 for a change of username. No real names and no e-mail addresses. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Old 09-16-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I would try Zoloft because you might be the kind of person it works for. You never know. Zoloft worked for me for awhile, but then the side effects made it unbearable after six months.

It is really common for those of us with anxiety to become a "hypocondriac." I hate that word, but I guess that's what it is. I'm finally over thinking I have every illness, but I've been there and gotten all the tests, and driven the doctors crazy. I think I'd still be worried if I hadn't gone and gotten checked out though. Good luck Melissa!

Old 09-17-2005, 07:42 PM   #12
(female)

starrynight3333 HB User

i'm on zoloft and i have no side effects. it is working for me but it does need to be taken daily, but i would say it's worth it, best of luck to you

Closed Thread