It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

rock_angel HB User
Effexor and weight gain

My doctor just started me on Effexor XR for social anxiety yesterday, after taking Zoloft for 2 or 3 months with no results. I've read posts on here about Effexor, and frankly, I'm terrified of it now. But, I know that everyone is different, and will give it a try.

So my question is, what exactly causes weight gain while taking antidepressants? Is it that it increases your appetite so that you eat more, or is it the medication itself that causes it? If I keep eating and exercising as I am now, while taking Effexor, will I possibly still gain weight?

I know it sounds vain, but I'm terrified of weight gain. =/

Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Effexor and weight gain

Me too, it was too hard to lose weight in the first place...I wouldn't want to have to do it again. It increases your appetite, so if you have good self control and eat the same and exercise, you should be okay. I just couldn't stop snacking on AD's...I was constantly looking for something to eat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

weighy gain comes from eating more and sometimes from exercicing less
however some antidepressants such as mirtazepine are associated with causing compulsive eating

Old 09-16-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
(female)

rock_angel HB User

hmm, ok thanks.

so if I try to control myself I should be alright. although that'll probably be hard, since I love food so much.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
(female)

Alyna25 HB User

according to the doctor that created "the zone" diet, long term use of SSRI's can cause hyper insulisum. which excess insulin turns to stored fat. I can't remember if he explains this in "a week in the zone" or "the anti-aging zone"
But it's in the back of the books. Also some do increaes craving for sweets. my mom and I both agree that zoloft was the best SSRI that didn't cause cravings for sweets. We've both been on Celexa and she said the zoloft was better for her then the celexa craving sweets and it was so long ago for me that I don't remember if I craved sweets on celexa but I do know that was my first SSRI and that's when I gained over 30lbs, but it wasn't just because of the SSRI I also had lifestyle changes ontop of it. I'm now on Effexor and I did crave sweets the first few days but I think it's better now.

Old 09-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

What is mirtazepine? I've never heard of it.

Closed Thread