It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
(male)

jonp HB User
Unhappy Just what can anxiety do to you? Confused?

Hello

I have been diagnosed with Chronic fatigue syndrome - but i have always doubted the diagnosis. I have had brain scans, balance tests, blood tests and nothing could be found.

I keep thinking that all my problems/symptoms are related to huge amounts of stress/panic/anxiety - but im not sure if the symptoms i get can be caused by anxiety. Can you please help?

- i always feel foggy/spaced out 24/7.
- I cant concentrate on anything - i get frustrated/worked up/angry very easily.
- I am always dizzy/lightheaded, and i have times where i get small amounts of vertigo.
- I get symptoms of 'derealization' (when i look at my surroundings and environment they feel alien to me and i feel like im dreaming 24/7 - see here for explanation {REMOVED}
- I keep getting bad viral infections every year at the same time. Can anxiety and stress weaken the immune system? (or even make the immune system too strong - i.e. when a virus is picked up the body/immune system goes crazy)
- I get severe fatigue
- i am very irritable
- i am always on-edge, always worrying why i am like this
- i am depressed
- i am always frustrated because i cannot carry out tasks that i want to - whether this is working on a PC, going out socially, exercising etc.
- i have racing thoughts and cant relax
- i hyperventilate because my chest is tight - and this causes me to panic at times, and it also gets worst at night and stops me from sleeping at times. The panic is there because i recently had a virus which affected my breathing and i kept passing out - so i guess its in my sub-concious all the time.
- i get heart palpitations.
- im always obsessed with how i am feeling, will this make me feel better, will it make me feel worst.
- the foggy feeling / spaced out feeling is the hardest thing to deal with - its there 24/7. I have not felt normal for 2 years because of it.

Everytime i ask the doctors/consultants, they just blame all my symptoms on my CFS. Can anxiety do all of the above if its been left untreated for so long? ive been ill 2 years now - and nothing is making me better. Ive tried herbal remedies, cognitive therapy, graded exercise, pacing myself - nothing works.

is this purely anxiety on its own, or am i suffering from anxiety&depression because of the CFS symptoms i have?

I am going to see a shrink soon, and i am not taking any anti-depressants yet. My GP has offered prozac - but i dont want to get hooked.

Please help i am getting more and more depressed. i just cant cope anymore

J

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-28-2005 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Please don't post links to websites that have message forums or chat rooms. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Re: Just what can anxiety do to you? Confused?

Your symptoms definitely sound like anxiety, but also a little bit like ADD too...have you ever been checked for that? Anxiety and ADD are pretty commonly diagnosed together.

The psychiatrist should definitely be able to help you better than general docs.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
(male)

jonp HB User

you mean Attention Deficit Disorder? I thought that was only in kids?

Im 23 now, and this all started after a viral illness.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, Attention def disorder, and it definitely occurs in adults. Although they say generally you have symptoms all your life so if all these symptoms just started after a viral illness it is probably health anxiety. That is also VERY common to have it start after a major illness.

Are the symptoms you have the only thing that make you anxious in your life? Is there anyhting else going on that might cause you stress?

Old 09-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
(male)

jonp HB User

no nothing at all. Just this ILLNESS or whatever it is. The symptoms i get stop me from doing, well, basically everything. If i exercise i get soooo tired, if i get a virus it really really hits me and affects me badly, if i try to go out i get dizzy, weak and spaced out - and this causes me to get anxious and paniky. I feel like im in a constant BRAIN FOG - im sure this is anxiety & depression thats got out of control.

Do people with anxiety and depression feel like they cant think straight, and get frustrated because of the fogginess? Do you know what i mean when i say BRAIN FOG? Its a symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), but i think its made 10 times worst by anxiety?

I also have indigestion - symptom of anxiety.

If i take AD's will i feel some relief?

Old 09-28-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi:

You definitely sound like you have anxiety and depression. Maybe you should give the Prozac a try...you don't have to take it forever, but it might be just the thing you need. You won't get "hooked" except for the fact that if you want to quit, you'd have to quit slowly, reducing your dose over time. You can think of an anti-depressant like a daily vitamin, you need for balanced health.

I have to add that I have tried a lot of anti-depressants and they haven't worked for me, but they do help a lot of people and you don't know unless you try.

Last edited by SRMom; 09-28-2005 at 12:28 PM.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
(male)

jonp HB User

do you think that it could be PURELY anxiety/depression, or something that has been created because of CFS?

Im really not sure which one it could be? Either way, taking an AD will probably help anyway

Old 09-28-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

bkm4673 HB User

i have some of your issues and im starting lexapro today ill let u know if it helps ok....

Old 09-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't get the brain fog too often, but it is very common among people with anxiety and panic.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
(male)

jonp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm4673
i have some of your issues and im starting lexapro today ill let u know if it helps ok....
great - thank you :-)

Old 09-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #11
(male)

jonp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjewell
I don't get the brain fog too often, but it is very common among people with anxiety and panic.
yeah the thing is, its there even when i dont feel anxious or panicy. i.e. its there when im totally relaxed too

it just gets worst when i am depressed, anxious etc

Old 09-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I think the "brain fog" is from fatigue, but if your problem is caused by depression/anxiety, and you receive treatment for it, your brain fog may lift. I'm not a doctor, and I don't know much about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but I know that anti-depressants are used for both CFS and anxiety/depression. If your doctor suggested you try it, he/she must have a good reason.

I get brain fog too, but I think mine is hormonal because I'm a perimenopausal woman...I'm guessing you are a man because of your screen name? Hope you find some answers.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

Hi there, I have suffered anxiety for as long as i can remember, but last week, my works doc said i was suffering with an CFS/ME type illness - NOT anxiety (he made this diagnosis without any previous medical history of mine!). Ive since spoke to my own doc and he assures me that i have chronic anxiety.
He says that anxiety can manifest itself with the same kind of symptoms of CFS/ME as anxiety can wear you out, your body is running on and using a lot of adrenalin, which will leave you feeling exhusted.
I have permanent brain fog, my short term memory and concentration are poor, i get recurring chest infections and colds. Ive had numerous tests done and the only physical illness i have is anemia (which can cause anxiety) for which ive just had a course of iron infusions for.
Chronic anxiety can be as dibilitating as CFS/ME, so maybe the meds or worth a try, also try taking a good multi-vitamin.
Good luck to you, keep us posted on your progress.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #14
(male)

jonp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMom
I think the "brain fog" is from fatigue, but if your problem is caused by depression/anxiety, and you receive treatment for it, your brain fog may lift. I'm not a doctor, and I don't know much about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but I know that anti-depressants are used for both CFS and anxiety/depression. If your doctor suggested you try it, he/she must have a good reason.

I get brain fog too, but I think mine is hormonal because I'm a perimenopausal woman...I'm guessing you are a man because of your screen name? Hope you find some answers.
yes im a man :-)

I have always been cautious of using AD's, they have been offered to me many times - i keep hearing of nasty side effects and how you can become dependent on them. Thats what worries me. But, i need to try i think

Old 09-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #15
(male)

jonp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsalou
Hi there, I have suffered anxiety for as long as i can remember, but last week, my works doc said i was suffering with an CFS/ME type illness - NOT anxiety (he made this diagnosis without any previous medical history of mine!). Ive since spoke to my own doc and he assures me that i have chronic anxiety.
He says that anxiety can manifest itself with the same kind of symptoms of CFS/ME as anxiety can wear you out, your body is running on and using a lot of adrenalin, which will leave you feeling exhusted.
I have permanent brain fog, my short term memory and concentration are poor, i get recurring chest infections and colds. Ive had numerous tests done and the only physical illness i have is anemia (which can cause anxiety) for which ive just had a course of iron infusions for.
Chronic anxiety can be as dibilitating as CFS/ME, so maybe the meds or worth a try, also try taking a good multi-vitamin.
Good luck to you, keep us posted on your progress.
so what do you think the problem is?

What causes chronic anxiety? How is it treated???

Closed Thread