It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

anxietysucks HB User
Question So My Doctor Says........

that Xanax is a safe drug. Says that I could have anxiety for the rest of my life. Doesn't explain why. I thought it was brought on in my case by a couple of unexpected tragic events that began a couple of years ago and continued for two years.

I guess everybody have a different opinion on how to approach this condition via medication or CBT. Some doctors say Xanax is a dangerous drug and won't write a script while others have no problems writing it and say its safe. I'm so confused. Sometimes I feel like I am allowing myself to be dependent on drugs, and sometimes I feel like the drug is justified if it makes me feel better. I got so confused I even jumped over to the addiction board thinking I had an addiction since the Xanax is the only thing that relieves my anxiety.

Last night a neighbor was talking to me who had been on Xanax for 5 years at 3mgs a day. She weaned herself off. I asked her if she still have those "feelings". She said yes, and you just ride it out and let it pass. She suggested I do the same.

Are you all just as confused? Do you all get the same guilt trip about not taking medication? When the medical community differs on an approach method, how do you decide who to believe?

Old 10-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
(female)

sarah5432 HB User
Re: So My Doctor Says........

Honestly, you need to do whats best for you. How much Xanax are you taking daily? I've been through the same but I take a very low dose of Xanax. One doctor says its dangerous while another doctor says its not. All I know is that its worked for me, I've never had to raise my dose and I did really well on it for awhile.

However, some things happened and my anxiety got worse so I'm trying something different to go along with the Xanax. Right now I'm still taking it twice a day (.25mg) and havne't had any problems. I don't crave it and I don't feel it when it wears off. If you have any signs of addiction then I think its fine to take it. Thats just my opinion and me speaking from my personal experience. I had an aunt who was on Xanax for about 7 years at 2mg/day and never had any problems coming off of it.

I hope this helped a little.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
(female)

anxietysucks HB User

Yes, it does. Thanks. I only take .5 3x a day. Well, I used to. My 1st doc (GP) said to take only when needed. This new doc (a psych.) says to take as directed. He was very adamant about that. However, this is where I won't budge. I found when taking as directed, I opened the door to physical dependency. For the last month, I only take when needed, and then I try to break a .5 in half to see if I can get by with less. If not, I take the other half. I also make sure I don't confuse an anxiety attack from normal adrenaline rushes, ie. a meeting or presentation. Like going to a job interview. Know what I mean? That way I keep reality in check. I think I'll just do what I think is best for me. I think it is what you make it. I know from trying to go C/T under pressure from well meaning people, that Xanax is a potent drug. I truly respect it and will not abuse it.

There's just so much confusion out there on how to treat anxiety.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Xanax I believe is far safer than going on anti-depressants. Reason majority of doctors are unwilling to prescribe a benzo like Xanax, it because of its abuse by people who used it to get high, same with oxycotin for cancer patients used as street drugs, not until somebody starts selling anti-depressants on the street corner will the doctors stop choosing that as their inital drug de jour for anxiety. Which may be awhile only over past few years has the ADD drugs like Ritalin and Straterra, etc been found being abused by college age kids making thru exams, buying off others to stay wake for 4 days.

Second part, anxiety does not have to be life long, yes you can have bouts flare up now and then from stress or triggers, as in your case of tragic events. As long as you try to work thru the problems causing the stress, or healing thru it, and not just using it (medicine)to numb the pain, anxiety, you are not dooming yourself to a lifelong disorder.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
(female)

anxietysucks HB User

Crabbyroad - I couldn't agree with you more about the AD's being the next on the list of "do not prescribe". As far as the oxy, I was just having this same conversation with someone a couple of days ago. It was such a wonder drug for its original intent until people started using it for a high. I don't get a high or a low off of Xanax.

Thanks for the comment on the future. I also can't see it being a life long problem. I think there has to be an underlying cause. In my case, I just don't think I've truly grieved. I don't mask it with the Xanax. I think I just got to the point where I seemed to be so jumpy always waiting for the "other shoe to fall" because things just kept seeming to come at me, like it would never let up. In my case, I'll just keep on chugging along until I find the time has come that I can live my life anxiety free outside of normal anxiety of course.

I'm going to quit letting others guilt me into how I should approach this.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I responded to your last post on the addiction board. I'm glad you're back.

Good for you - stop worrying about what others think. You know I was worried about it for a while too, and I struggled with going on an anti-depressant forever. I was listening to too many other people and not listening to myself. YOU know what makes you feel good and what makes you happy. I've decided to not let other's comments bug me anymore. I love my Xanax and it loves me right back. I am not willing to have a poor quality of life because someone that has not been in my shoes preaches to me.

You go girl!

Old 10-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
(female)

anxietysucks HB User

Hey mjewell

Glad to be back to the board I belong on. I saw where you had been following on the addiction board so you know my confusion. I think I'll just hang out with you all while we all try to sort this out. In the meantime, I'll keep my Xanax by my side. How are the AD's working out? If I remember correctly, you were trying Lexapro? I've been trying to follow you even though I jumped boards.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Hey.. I am like you, my GP said as needed on the xanax... ANd my psychiatrist was adament about me taking it 3 times a day at .5mg.. I think it might have something to do with the fact that he doesn't want us to get so anxiety ridden it causes us not to do things... You know what I mean..? If we stop doing things because of anxiety, it is much harder to treat. If you stay at a certain level, its more easily treated.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Yep, this is my third week on Lexapro and so far so good. The constant nervousness has gone away completely. I still usually take one Xanax a day for things that usually make me nervous, like meetings, or going out to dinner, etc. I actually don't really think I need it for those things now, but I'm just not quite ready to go without yet.

I haven't had any side effects or anything...I just feel normal...of course my brain still keeps reminding me I have anxiety, so i do still want to go to therapy to try and reverse my thinking, but at least my body isn't listening to my brain anymore!

I have a feeling as time goes on the Lexapro will work better and better, so I am going to stick with it. I'll keep you updated. I had an appt with a psychiatrist too but I cancelled it. I need therapy, not another dr with more prescriptions!!

Closed Thread