It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

bumblebee919 HB User
alprazolam vs xanax; paxil on backorder; xanax xr; many questions!

Hi all -
i went to a psychiatrist (or pyschologist - whichever one can prescribe meds, I forget..) and she is supposedly the best one in my area (it was hard for me to ge tan appt but she squeezed me in since she is good friends w/ my doctor)...

anyway to get to the point, she prescribed paxil to take daily, and xanax for when I really need to calm down

I am always iffy about generics (although I know everybody has different opinions on them) -- I wanted to take the brand names for both; however, my pharmacy had paxil on backorder and said I might have trouble finding it elsewhere. it seemed really odd to me

has anyone else come across this at all; and if so, why is this? so I think I'm goign to take the generic paxil instead just in case i have problems getting the paxil....

also - b/c of my insurance, they automatically gave me the generic meds, so I got alprazolam instead of xanax..the psych told me that she has problems w/ the generic, so I should switch to brand name xana (so I am going to go do that today b/c she gave me a new prescription specifically requesting the brand name)...has anyone experienced any differences between the alprazolam and xanax??

AND last question, I promise -- I know that xanax xr means extended release -- and my question is why doesn't everyone take xanax xr? wouldn't this just be better than regular xanax since it will last longer? What are the exact differences?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: alprazolam vs xanax; paxil on backorder; xanax xr; many questions!

I've read that the Xanax XR doesn't last the full amount of time, like they say.. and people were noticing they had to take another dosage sooner.

This also means that you can't take it "as needed"... It will release that say 2mg over the course of the day... So say your anxiety was at an all-time low, you had the day off to stay home, just relax and watch a movie... but you forgot, you took the medicine, you wouldn't be able to say.. hmmm im having a good day because im so relaxed... you would question whether it was the xanax that was slowly being released into your system.

oh yeah, and since its not available in generic,(which i guess wouldn't bother you as you dont' care for generics) it is much more expensive... that can be a downfall if someone doesn't have prescription coverage, or just bad prescription coverage. sometimes, psych meds aren't covered as heavily as meds that treat say, diabetes.

thats just the negatives, i've heard many many good things though. i currently take the generic xanax, alprazolam at .5mg 3x/day.. i've actually thought about inquring about the xanax xr at my next psych apt just because taking something 3x a day gets difficult.. sometimes i forget to take it, sometimes i don't remember if i have taken it, and sometimes its just hard to take it, because you don't have the medicine with you.

so the xr seems easier

Old 10-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I don't think there are any differences between alpraz and Xanax. I think many people actually take alpraz and just call it xanax. I take it and it works great!

Old 10-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

alprazolam is just the active ingredient in the brand name xanax. there are differences in the way the xr and regular work, in the sense that one just gets released slowly over the course of the day.. which some find doesn't even last the whole day.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

oh, and there are differences in generics and brand names.... with fillers and inactive ingredients...

Old 10-07-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I take alprazolam, also. My prescription bottle says it's generic for xanax. I have never taken the real thing, but the alprazolam works fine for me. I sometimes also refer to it as xanax.

Old 10-07-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

It boils down to insurance companies and pharmacies. Pharmacies make a whole lot more money on generics. Insurance companies want you to get generics for the cost effective reasons, my doctor used to have me on Xanax (checked do not substitute)for many years, until the Insurance Company decided copays on brand were outrageous and generics $5-$10, so I had to go to alprazolam, only then I noticed a slight difference. Sometimes I felt more sedated, sometimes less sedated and antsy, the FDA can approve a generic to be off by a certain percent from the brand name drug , so my doctor tells me. Now been on the generic for 5 yrs, no problems now, best to start with generic and not run into that problem. Paroxetine is generic for paxil.

Check your meds each month, as pharmacies will tend to buy from the cheapest, this hasnt happened but twice but mine used to be oblong and blue, then I picked up my prescription to find a round tablet, thought I was given the wrong medicine,it was from a different manufactuer, I believe Mylan and Geneva are the top two companies for generics in the Xanax category, then few months later, here I had the blue oblong again.

Closed Thread