It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 02:13 AM   #1
(female)

red-rider HB User
Is 1mg Valium equal to 1mg Ativan?

Does anyone know?
thanx~RR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Is 1mg Valium equal to 1mg Ativan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-rider
Does anyone know?
thanx~RR

According to the chart that I have, Ativan 1mg is equal to Valium 5mg. However, the effects on each person can vary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User

Actually lmg Ativan is equal to 10mg of Valium. I have been on Ativan for 2 years and have finally tapered down to less than .5mg daily. The half life of Ativan is 10-20 hrs as opposed to 20-100 hrs for Valium. Benzodiazepines are great drugs for anxiety and do their job very well but you can become dependent on them in a very short period of time.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #4
(female)

red-rider HB User

OMG!! 1mg of Ativan is equal to 5 or 10 mgs of Valium??? Does that mean Ativan is really potent or that Valium is really weak in comparison? I thought they were very close in make-up(chemically)? I am more confused than ever now
thanx for the replies tho. I thought I could easily switch from one to another,but if the dosage is that different? Im not so sure?
RR

Old 10-10-2005, 07:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Ativan is weaker than Valium. One of the weakest benzos. They are similar in make-up... Valium is stronger and seldom given anymore as a first-line treatment with benzos.... It produces more of the euphoric feeling and is more sedating.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User

My Dr's tell me that the recommended dose of Ativan is about 3mg per day. It is not uncommon for patients to take more though. Because Valium is in your body much longer, it tends to build up with constant use and is thus stronger. High doses of Valium (40mg-80mg) are not unheard of.....
Please be careful if you are considering taking these drugs and you are young. Dosage tolerance is very common. You start to get withdrawal symptoms between doses and feel the need to increase your usage. You can become very dependent on them in a few weeks time. You must taper off of them slowly to try and avoid serious withdrawal.
Ativan gave me back my life when I was hit with an inner ear infection. The anxiety and dizziness cleared up promptly when I started taking it. Now, after 2 years, I am weaning myself off and it's not as easy as I was led to believe it is.. Depression is also a side effect of benzodiazipenes. Not fun.....

Closed Thread