It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
(female)

broadway_baby13 HB User
Can anxiety cause you to feel ill? Please answer!

Hi again!

I was just wondering. Can anxiety make you feel like you are sick? Just a couple of days ago, I was kind of constipated (so sorry, but it is life), and then I finally went to the bathroom in the evening. When I did go to the bathroom, I started shaking real bad because of this fear I had that I wouldn't be able to go to the bathroom. So, after I had gone to the bathroom, I felt sick. It was so strange. I was just wondering if maybe I had an anxiety attack or something and it made me feel sick, because out of the blue on Saturday evening, I felt ill. It has been 3 days now since it has happened. I know this doesn't make sense, but please help me! It would make me feel so much better. I am mainly curious to see if anxiety can actually make you feel like you are ill.

Molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
(female)

meredith100 HB User
Re: Can anxiety cause you to feel ill? Please answer!

hi! i dont have time to write much, but yes yes yes anxiety can and often does make you feel ill. it comes about in different ways---nausea, tight shoulders etc but it definitely can, given the fact that the brain is a part of the body, it makes sense. if i can, ill write more later, but I'd recommend talking to a doctor you know is knowledgeable about psychiatry in particular. good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

for sure it can.....I am one who has had alot of physical (ill feeling) symptoms from anxiety/stress and there are loads more anxiety sufferers who do.The constipation thing is common and so is the nausea feeling,shaking.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Ditto. When I am anxious, I am nauseated which is most of the time lately. Anxiety can do all kinds of things and it is the talking that we do to ourselves that causes the anxiety.

You said when you went to the bathroom you were afraid that things would not work as they should. At that point, your body thought that it should go into "fight or flight" mode to protect you and it did. It was your thought that made your body have these feelings.

Hope this reassures you.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
(female)

Sonika HB User

SURE!!!!!!!!!! I personally don't feel extreme fear of anything except fear of being ill with anxiety. When i first got it i thought i had all kinds of things: the flu, a throat and ear infection, stomach infection (i had bad diarreah) etc. It was until i was not able to get out of bed nor swallow anything that i run to my doctor who checked everything and gave me her prescription: Paxil. Even after 1 1/2 years, i find it hard to believe that all this terrible headaches, stomach aches, dizziness etc. are just coming from my self talk.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #6

Dragonflyzz2003 HB User

Sonika, do you still take Paxil? If so, how is it working for you? I have seen that you take L-Theanine in other posts. I actually just bought some at Whole Foods the other day. I am hoping that will help me out. I am currently taking Zoloft 125 mg (had been taking 100 mg for 3 months and just recently upped it by 25 mg). I feel somewhat better but I still get anxious in certain situations. I do have a prescription for Klonopin but I am afraid of it making me too tired or causing problems with short term memory. I would much rather take something that doesnt have those bad side effects so I am hoping the amino acid L-Theanine does work! Let me know what you think.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
(male)

AlienB HB User

YES..
It makes me feel bad all the time, I really don't know what to do. I hate to take Xanax or Kolonipon during the day because I want to be sharp and lift weights after work. It also causes weird stuff like constipation and brain fog. I'd love to find a natural solution like L-theanine. I heard about a stress guard plus on the radio, anybody tried that? Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done to ease the side effects? Like everybody else, I just want to feel good again. I'm willing to try some alternative things.
We can stick together, try things and get rid of this awful feeling. Let me know what you guys want to try..

Old 10-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
(male)

saleen_tech HB User

my anxiety issue started in february. I had lost my job and started to make a change and enrolled in school. I was making very good money and was very happy with my 2 kids and wife. we ended up moving 4 hours away to a place i hate to live in an apt to from a 3 bedrm house. I go to school and my wife works.Our budget is substantually lower and the stress level is high. Since we have moved i have had to go to the er 3 times because i felt like i was having a heart attack. I cant take a deep breath my palms and feet sweat and i get dizzy.Is this an anxiety attack?Will moving back home help things?I dont want this to come between me and my wife cause i know its hard on her.When she goes to work im scare di will have an attack with just the kids here and i have to call an ambulance. Any breathing or excersice tips?Herbs?

Old 10-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

sure sounds like anxiety/panic to me .I cant say for sure that if you moved back it would help or not you would still have the stress of lower income and all that.I am not sure about herbs I tried some a few years ago they didnt work for me unfortunately.I take Lexapro now daily and it helps alot.There is also cognitive behavorial therapy which helps alot for alot of anxiety sufferers.
As far as a breathing technique what I do is breathe in real deep and let it out real slow I do this several times and try to remain calm and relax my whole body,it does help sometimes.You should go to the doctor with this make sure it is anxiety/panic,eventhough i believe it is i am not a doctor,get diagnosed and go from there.There are loads of meds to help and as I said the therapy too which you can do with or without meds.

sorry you are having hard times and i hope it gets better very soon

Old 10-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #10
(male)

saleen_tech HB User

thanks for the reply,the reason why i think moving back home would help is because i know i could probably get my old job back and have better financial security with both of us working.Also it would give me a sense of belonging and keeping busy and getting my mind off of this. Since i havent been working i just go to school and come home and thats it.My wife has to work nights so we never get to do anything as a family.My school ends in June of 2006 and i dont know if I can make it till then, cause it so tempting to go home and go back to work.Then again my wife has sacrificed alot working 7 days a week and i wan to finish my schooling so she dont feel she did all this for nothing.Im 25 and had a very high sense of accomplishment making 50,000 a year without an education and now im dead broke and just feel like a failure.Its a hard transistion and i know its the cause of my anxiety.Its hard having a good job and feeling like somebody then leaving and feeling like nobody.Its frustrating because i want my old self to come back for my kids, I feel like im cheating them.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
(female)

jetblacknewyear HB User

Anxiety makes me feel sick almost every day. I havent actually thrown up for several years. When youre nervous it can also make you have dioreah

Closed Thread