It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
(male)

osmonxp HB User
Question ALPRAZOLAM 0.5mg for Anxiety

I was on ALPRAZOLAM 0.5MG for 14 days, one tablet every eight hours; I am currently experiencing horrible withdrawal symptoms after stopping "cold-turkey". Can someone tell me how long those symptoms will last for? Nervousness, insomnia, agitation, tremors and anxiety are some of the symptoms I am experiencing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Re: ALPRAZOLAM 0.5mg for Anxiety

I guess withdrawl from that small amount and small amount of time can happen. If you feel this is withdrawl then I suggest not doing it cold turkey. Break the .5 pills in half and take that for about a week and then only take the 1/2 a pill every other night.

I'd say to call your Dr's first......I'm not sure if that is withdrawl, thats how I am off xanax, that is all anxiety symptoms to me. When I took it 7yrs ago I was on it for 3 months and I weaned myself off and never had a withdraw symptom ever

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

I doubt very seriously it's withdrawl... You're probably just having rebound anxiety... If you were taking 1 .5mg every 8 hours.. does that mean you were taking 2 per day? So a total of 1mg for 14 days? (IMO) Yeah.. definitely think its just rebound anxiety.

Thats a very low dosage, and my psych and others have said that they don't taper anything below 3mg.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

tjmaxxaholic HB User

I was recently given .5mg of Alprazxolam (xanax) for anxiety. I have only used them on the weekends. I whole .5 puts me out.. I usually take a half but that makes me sleep too... I wonder what it is doing to out bodies when we take it? I'm afraid to get addicted...

Old 11-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
(female)

IrishGoddess97 HB User

Call your doctor. Never just stop cold turkey on any drug. I was on Xanax for 6 years and I stoped, but with the approval of my doctor. Xanax can be a very bad drug to just stop taking, no matter what dosages. You will have some withdraws, xanax is highly addictive. Of course, once you stop taking it and you have nothing else to stop the anxiety attacks with, then you will have them. Exspecially if you keep thinking about it, you'll naturally give yourself an anxiety attack. So, all and all, call your doctor... if your still uneased, call your local pharmacy, they can help with questions.

Old 11-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

I do agree with bulletinboard, I doubt its withdrawl also with such a low dosage. And you have not been on it that long.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Yeah.. 14 days at such a low dosage isn't considered long-term. That would actually be short-term...

And it's a very small dosage. Some people are prescribed like 6mg-8mg per day. I've seen them... and have been on it for YEARS.

2 weeks at 1mg... (IMO) like i said... don't think it's withdrawl.

Rebound anxiety might be something to read about...

Old 11-13-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmonxp
I was on ALPRAZOLAM 0.5MG for 14 days, one tablet every eight hours; I am currently experiencing horrible withdrawal symptoms after stopping "cold-turkey". Can someone tell me how long those symptoms will last for? Nervousness, insomnia, agitation, tremors and anxiety are some of the symptoms I am experiencing.
Typical benzodiazepine withdrawal can happen at any dose for any length of time on it, although it all varies with people; some are just more sensitive. You are describing classic benzo withdrawal, usually mistaken for re-occurance of anxiety but not always the case. Look up the free online Ashton Manual. Some people have to taper down even smaller doses so don't worry, it's not you.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Talk with your psychiatrist or doctor. I believe he'll tell you it's rebound anxiety.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
(female)

anxietysucks HB User

I tried the C/T method but was on it longer 2+ years and at 1.5 a day. Definitely talked to your doctor about this just to be safe. I will never, ever go C/T again. Extremely dangerous. Let your doctor decide. I talked to two different pharmacists when I went C/T, both from the same store chain at different locations, and they both gave me different opinions each extreme than the other. Talk to your doctor. That's what you pay them for.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

In my opinion...it could be a small bit of withdrawal, but it shouldn't last more than a day or two at the most. If it is still bothering you, I agree that it is rebound anxiety.

Closed Thread