It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 07:18 PM   #1

Dragonflyzz2003 HB User
High dosage of Zoloft?

Hello, I just recently increased my Zoloft to 150 mg since it wasnt working too much before. Has anyone here taken Zoloft and only had it work successfully when it was at a high dosage, like 150-200mg? Thanks!

Old 11-18-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: High dosage of Zoloft?

I was on 250 mg up until about two months ago, and it still didn't help! 300 is the max that you can go on safely, and it was just useless to bump me up another 50 mg because it wouldn't have done much good. Anyway, yes, that is a fairly high dosage, but anxiety disorders (especially panic attacks/disorder and OCD- I have both panic attacks and OCD) often require a higher dosage to treat than depression. Usually, the SSRI isn't enough, and a benzodiazepine like Valium, Xanax, or Klonopin (what I'm on) needs to be added. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #3

Dragonflyzz2003 HB User

Thanks for getting back with me Gatsby. Have you tried any other SSRI's? I have heard that Paxil may be the best for anxiety but it also has a lot of weight gain issues....but I will try to do this increase and hope it works!

Old 11-19-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I think a high dose of zoloft is needed for panic/anxiety compared to depression only. I was taking 150mg and it was working fine....I just think the key is to up your dosage very slowly.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dragonflyzz- I started Zoloft, 25 mg, in the spring of sophomore year, at age 15, before I knew what was wrong with me. The doctor said that it sounded like "Generalized Anxiety Disorder" (which, I do have, but it's so intertwined with my OCD, that it barely shows), and that the Zoloft would help. It did, for a whole year, until the end of my junior year, almost exactly one year after I started- I think I was on 50-75 mg by then, though. I just began to feel like a zombie, and I could barely function- completing homework was impossible... Anyway, they put me on Lexapro rather than Zoloft last August (I think 5 mg), because of th extreme tiredness, and my mother takes it for depression, so they thought the genetics would work. Yeah, well, that couldn't have been further from the truth. Lexapro made me feel like a zombie...but ten times worse than the Zoloft, not including that it also made me more anxious, made my OCD worse, and actually made me feel depressed (I don't have depression). So, around January or so, I stopped the stupid Lexapro and started back on Zoloft- 100 mg. The increase did help me, but they kept thinking that the panic attacks could go away with more...they didn't. That's when I started Ativan, but I only took it a total of four times in the four months I had it because I was deathly afraid of addiction from benzodiazepines. Then, this past October, my freshman year of college (not been easy- I don't adjust well to change, so stress has been high, and I've been worrying about everything...except for the typical things like "homesickness" and being on my own ), I began seeing the school psychiatrist, who weaned me off of the Zoloft, and began me on Prozac, 20 mg, which was increased to my current 40 mg slowly. He also gave me Klonopin, 0.5 mg, the first medication that actually took away my panic attack (used it for the first time when I went to the dentist, the time I get the worst panic, so I was amazed) that I could take as often as I wanted, so I took it usually once a day. I also started 25 mg of Lamictal, which I'm increasing to 50 today, and 100 in two weeks. It's long been suspected by my doctors and myself that I have cyclothymia and mild hypomania- I've always been moody, ever since age four, the kid who would literally be miserable and talking back one minute and laughing giddily the next. So, the last stage in my long medication story is, that last Tuesday, I had another breakdown because I couldn't do any of my homework because I was sooo tired from the Klonopin, and yet, if I didn't take the Klonopin, I couldn't function- talk about the proverbial double-edged sword. I then got my prescription filled for a Klonopin wafer, 0.125 mg, that the psychiatrist had given me but I was waiting to fill when I go home for Thanksgiving. Well, it's really great because it's fast-acting to get rid of my intense morning panic attacks before classes start, it doesn't make me tired, and it doesn't work all day long, so it doesn't completely get rid of all of my panic attacks. For example, if I take it at nine o'clock in the morning, but then have a panic attack at 1, I'll still have the one o'clock panic attack, which is actually ideal. My morning panic attacks are usually the worst, and though it sounds strange, I would never want to completely stop having panic attacks. They've been with me for 15 years, since 3 years old, and I honestly wouldn't know how to react if I didn't have them; as sad as it is, they're a part of me, and probably will be for the rest of my life. It's the same with my OCD- you can't "cure" either condition, but they're manageable with meds and therapy. I'm going to have obsessions the rest of my life as well as panic attacks, and it really is the best of both worlds- with treatment, I'll learn to ignore my anxiety, not be incapacitated by it, but yet, anxiety is WHO I am. It has defined me for my whole life, and I'll always be neurotic and an obsessive-compulsive, but the difference is that, like in bipolar disorder, the underlying condition will still be there, but the medication controls the symptoms. I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 11-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

it must be stressed that zoloft and all other antidepressants occasionally simply will not work at any dose for a person, many docs wont accept this but its a well known fact in the anxiety community
if an antidepressant is working you will know it as there will be a huge reductioin in your anxiety
since zoloft is a prozac or SSRI type, its likely others of this type wont work either and other types such effexor or wellbutrin could be tried as often if 1 type wont work, another type will

Old 11-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
(male)

bderozi HB User

Would You Say that the MEDS AREN'T working if after 6 weeks...I am still having negative thoughts...that I am dying and have a disease....?

And what is your stand on MEDS causing these Physical Symptoms such as Muclse Aches, Weakness, Fatigue....?

Thanks
-B

Old 11-19-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would wait 8-10 weeks to see if you feel any better; six weeks is still fairly early. As far as fatigue, very, very common side effect of SSRI's and benzodiazepines. I'm not a sleeper (I possibly have cyclothymia/mild hypomania, and I usually go daily with five-six hours), so when I'm sleeping 12-14 hours a day with these meds, it's very distressing to me because I'm so used to getting many things done during sleep, which I consider as a waste of time...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 11-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #9

Dragonflyzz2003 HB User

wow thanks for all the messages everyone. I will definitely give the higher dosge of Zoloft a try and see what happens. Otherwise I may switch to Paxil... thanks again everyone!

Old 11-20-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
(female)

Countrygirl1 HB User

I was on Zoloft 200mg and was basically a zombie. MD switced me to Effexor XR and Paxil CR.

Closed Thread