It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
Low dose Xanax at bedtime for anxiety/sleep

Has anyone here taken a low does (.25mg) at night for anxiety and/or sleeping? If so for how long?

I was give a .05mg to take at night for anxiety and was told it would help with me sleep also (I have trouble with constantly waking up a few times a night for years now). One night I took a whole .05mg and couldn't believe how zonked out I was. I decided to take 1/2 the next time. I have been on and off Xanax since the 5th of the month. I just got my period and had really bad PMS and my anxiety was pretty bad. I'm better today and won't take it tonight but....

Now I understand that Xanax can be dangerous if taken all the time. My doctor didn't tell me that!! Now I am worried.

Does anyone here take this darn pill and what's your story with it?

Thanks for any and all replies

Last edited by moderator2; 11-19-2005 at 01:40 PM. Reason: please follow your question on this board - please do not post the same question on multiple boards

Old 11-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
(female)

bocana HB User
Re: Low dose Xanax at bedtime for anxiety/sleep

Xanax isn't "dangerous". It just needs to be used carefully, unless your DR. says otherwise.
And using it every night might cause problems.
That said, it is a very useful medication. I get headaches from it and valium.
Read the other threads on xanax, it will help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

May I ask, what kind of problems?

Old 11-18-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
(female)

bocana HB User

only that you might become so used to it, that you might feel you need it to sleep. I would do a search on this subject. It really will answer alot of questions you might have.
Good luck!

Old 11-18-2005, 10:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

When you lose the initial drowsiness side-effects... Some people interpret this as "oh no, it's not working, i better up the dose"... when in all reality, it's still working just as well as it did in the beginning, just the effects you first received aren't there as your body is adjusting to the medication.

A psychiatrist I chat with says hes had patients on benzos for over 20 years!

They've been around since the 60's, I believe.

IMO, and most every psychiatrist Ive talked with, .5mg is a VERY low dosage, and you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Again, I always say this... most psych doctors will not taper their patients off of Xanax if their dosage is 3mg or less.

You're taking 1/6 of that amount.

Your doctor gave it to you for a reason, if he felt there was going to be a problem with that medicine, he wouldn't have given it to you

I've been taking 1.5mg's for quite some time now, and some days don't even take it... I
No problems whatsoever with it

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 11-18-2005 at 10:29 PM.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bulletinboard25 -

Heartfelt thanks for your post. It made me feel much better. I actually skipped a dose last night (I really didn't need it anyway). I think I just got caught up in it and used it as a crutch during my PMS. And I'm taking so little anyway that I just knew it wouldn't be an issue...I just wanted to make sure and here other peoples stories so I knew how to proceed in the future with it.

Thanks!

Old 11-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi and yes xanax can be very addictive, what i do is take it when needed, but if ou take it for 2 or 3 weeks in a row an try to stop it you can have withdrawal symptoms, soemtimes i tke it for 3 or 4 days and then stop taking them for a week or so, anyway soem people i know take it and are addicted to it but since it helps there anxiety they dont mind

Old 11-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

again a complete and total difference between addiction and dependance!

people really need to get the two things straight, because this type of talk scares people from medicines that will actually be of great benefit to them!!

Old 11-19-2005, 02:00 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

I have been taking xanax for about 5 months now. I only take it when I feel really anxious or overwhelmed. I'm not sure. When I feel like I am losing my mind and have thoughts racing and need to calm down. There! The first month I was taking it very regularly. Now, maybe once every couple weeks or so. It helped me sleep at first. Then, I was able to sleep on my own again. There are times that I don't know how I made it without it!!

Old 11-21-2005, 05:55 PM   #10
(female)

cyndi7729 HB User

Hi,
I have never taken xanax but I would like to share my story with you. My mother who suffered from depression was put on xanax to help her cope with a family member's death. The doctor that prescribed it never took her off of it and kept uping the dose. My mother got addicted to it and lost about 10 years of her life. She tried several times to stop, but couldn't do it. Somedays I would call her or go see her and she would be so high that you could not understand what she said it was so slurred. It made her mean too. She sometimes would take it when feeling bitter about something, and watch out! She had a tongue that could shred you to bits. She even tried to commit suicide on it once. We finally, two years ago had an intervention and had her hosptialized long enough to break the inital addiction. She had hallucinations for over two weeks before she started acting halfway normal. My mother has a problem with addiction. We know that now. If you have any problems or have ever had any problems abusing drugs stay away from xanax please! I know lots of people who take it and never had any problems, but I know of others that almost lose it all because of it. It is one of the hardest prescription drugs to come off of, once addicted. Please use caution when taking this drug. If you find yourself reaching for a xanax everytime something upsets you throw it in the trash. Thankfully, my mother is better, but my father was recently told he has stage four lung cancer and the first thing my mama wanted was a xanax! She is an addict and can never take it again. Hopefully, the well-butrin, and the prozac she is currently on will control her anxiety during this time. My daddy has taken 2 xanax every night for years to sleep and has never had a problem, except when my mama stole his and took them all! Yes, some people can take them and it's fine, but if you have an addictive personality I would stay away from them. Hope you feel better soon. Sometimes I find that when I pray, it helps me to relax and go to sleep. Cyndi

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-21-2005 at 07:31 PM.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Again, a complete difference between addiction and dependance.

And anyways, if the doctor gave Xanax for depression, I would question the doctors knowledge of benzodiazepines. They are NOT anti-depressants.

.5mg is a LOW dosage of Xanax. These types of stories aren't really needed, they just scare people.

People with addictive personalities can get addicted to ANYTHING. doesn't matter what.

and the studies show LESS THAN 5% of people who take benzos abuse them. less than 5%.

There is absolutely no relationship at all between dependance an addiction.

physiologically, it's just not the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to bulletinboard25 For This Useful Post:
tony1957 (02-16-2012)
Old 11-21-2005, 06:39 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone for your stories.

I know now that I have to be really careful with this drug. I intend on using it only at night when my anxiety is really bad, and I use only 1/2 (.25mg) which is hardly felt but yet it is (it takes the edge off basically and I feel calmer but not stoned).

I was having bad PMS and was using it every other day for 2 weeks - this I know is wrong now. I need to use it for anxiety ONLY. And as little as possible.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

I also have been taking it when i need it, it does work if you take it on an empty stomach it hits me real hard and you get drowsy but when i take it at night i feel great and makes me eel so happy! its hard not gettig adicted to them.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
(female)

cyndi7729 HB User

You are right about the doctor, he was incompetant. If he had done his job, my mother would have never gotten addicted. I believe people that ask about a certian drug do want to know or else they wouldn't be asking. Until you have watched someone you love have their life turned completely upside down by this drug you can't say that it is harmless. It is only as safe as the doctor prescribing it. I am not trying to scare anyone, only educate. As I stated, my father has never had a problem with it, thank God. I wish my mother had been so lucky. People who take anything their doctor prescribes without getting educated first are playing with fire. Doctor's aren't perfect, they are human, and humans make mistakes, that's why doctor's insurance rates are sky high. Better to be informed than addicted. My mother started out at a low dose too. Cyndi

Old 11-21-2005, 07:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I just have to add my two cents here.

I have nothing bad at all to say about Xanax, it's the one and only thing that ever helped me.

I don't have panic/anxiety problems anymore, but when I did I took Xanax...1 quarter MG. twice a day every day for 7 years.
Not once in all that time did I take even so much as a crumb more.
When I didn't have a panic/anxiety problem anymore I weaned off of it and didn't have any problem doing that either.

One thing my Doctor did tell me is that some people do become dependent or tolorant to it, he told me that if at anytime I thought that I needed more than what I was taking to stop, not take it and call him.

So if there ever comes a time that you feel the dose you are taking isn't working...in other words if your taking it to stop an attack and it doesn't stop the attack then it's probably time to wean off and try something else.

Closed Thread