It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2005, 08:09 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
How long should I be off Zoloft before getting pregnant?

Hi, I'm getting married soon and would like to have a child after about 6 months of marriage. I'm on Zoloft for panic anxiety disorder and it's helping greatly - I'm better!
But Zoloft can't be taken during pregnancy so, my question is,
How long should I be off of the zoloft before conceiving?
Also, did you have anxiety or panic attacks when you came off your antidepressant during pregnancy or within the months after giving birth?
I'm a little worried because my panic attacks were HORRIBLE, would last for hours some times and my anxiety would linger in me most of the day before I got on zoloft.
I want to do what will be best for my baby though so, any advice about this for a first time mom to be would be great!
Thanks!
T.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
(female)

Tiggerredz HB User
Re: How long should I be off Zoloft before getting pregnant?

I expressed that same concern to my docter, I told her I am soon to be married and would love to soon be pregnant afterwords...I am 28 if that matters will be 29 when I get married and I am just ready to start a family, She wanted to put me on Zoloft last month and I told her of my above concern, she said to me that there are worse things than being pregnant and being on Zoloft and that lots of people do it....I never started the Zoloft...The docters just have a hard time with symptoms, because they want to treat everything with an AD to see if that fixes anything before they move on with testing I suppose, I just wanted to let you know what my Dr. said and she is a female with kids herself..Congrats and good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
(female)

KLWalsh HB User

Every situation is unique. I went off of Zoloft cold turkey when I got pregnant w/my daughter 4 years ago. You should never, ever go off of it cold turkey (which was not well known back then!). However, I had MAJOR post partum panic after I had her. Even though I went back on Zoloft the day after I delivered, the post partum kicked in high gear before the meds could do their magic...definitely discuss w/your doctor. We're trying for #2, and I'm still on my dose....when I get pg I will then wean. And if needed, I will go back on. The jury really is out on this!

Old 12-05-2005, 07:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think I read once that women almost never have panic attacks or anxiety "while pregnant". Maybe I will stay on it till I'm sure I'm pregnant and then come off slowly? But then I thik of all the withdrawl symptoms I might have while pregnant and I really don't want to stress my body out to much during that time.
I'm 30 and never had a child before so I don't even know if I'll have trouble getting pregnant or not. I'd hate to stress out too much and miscarrage or something.
My sister has a disease called "preclampsia" (spelling?) anyway, we have different dads so, I don't know if it's from our moms side or her dads side of the family but it hits you only while you are pregnant and can cause some pretty serious problems. Even though I'd like to "plan" the pregnancy, I have no idea how long it will take me to get pregnant. A friend of mine has been trying for her first child for over 2 years now and she's only 26.
So, if I start going off zoloft slowly while I'm trying to conceive and am not able to get pregnant right away (at least within 2 months or so of stopping) then there's no telling how long I'd have to be off it before I could get pregnant and I have no idea if my panic will come back or not. I think I can handle it though as long as I have a xanax (only if I have an attack though).
LOL... I'm not even married yet and I'm already stressing out about the baby!
Is it just me or does getting married (even though you're happy about it) make you a little crazy?
My mind has been all over the place the last few weeks.
Thank for your replies!
T.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
(female)

mishkaaa HB User

i'd bring it up with your doctor.
my aunt had very bad post-partum depression after giving birth to her first child.
she has been taking zoloft ever since (for 9 years) and gave birth to 2 very healthy children while being on zoloft. i'd check with your doctor just to make sure!

Old 12-05-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
(female)

Tiggerredz HB User

YES!!!Planning a wedding will make you crazy....it is so much planning and wondering if everything will come together, Don't bet yourself up for being a little more anxious tha usually, even though it feels right and you know it is right....everyone still has issues...I have asked around..haha! I worry about things years in advance to, might have something to do with this anxiety I have..haha! Take care and everything will be great!

Old 12-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
(female)

kat1970 HB User

Hi,
I wasn't on Zolfoft I was on cipralex when i found out i was pregnant last November. I came off cold turkey and worrid like mad that I'd done some dammage to the fetus.
In January I went for a scan and found out I was carrying TWINS more worrying then in February I found out after a detailed scan they were both healthy and due in August.
I am now the proud mummy of my darling boy/girl twins who are 5 months old.

Its funny really cause i worrid like mad that my panic attacks would go crazy while i was pregnant but they actually went away (well almost)
Now 1 year later they have just started to rear their ugly head but i'm coping with them I just can't go on meds again for the simple reason I would go more crazy coming off. I had real bad head shocks when i came of the cipralex.
Hope that helps and gives you some hope.
Kat xxxx

Old 01-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for all the info and stories! At least I have a better idea of what could happen. We've decided to put off having a child for at least 2 years after we get married. During that time at some point, I'm going to try and slowly come off zoloft on my own for a while to see if my panic comes back or not. I hope not but ya never know. I think I read some where that only 1 out of 4 people get over this and never have a return of it. Since I have never been off the zoloft yet, and have been panic free for a long time, I have no idea if it will come back or not till I try. Either way, I think I'll just try to have my baby without the zoloft, unless my panic is too bad then I'll do as low of a dose as possible so, I don't cause too much stress on the baby or myself.
Take care,
T.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User

From personal experience, i tried getting of zoloft (150 mg) about 3 years ago. I seemed to be fine for a couple months after the final taper, then the panic and terror took over. For a month I struggled with the worse bout of withdrawal symptoms imagined. I, too, am concerned about pregnancy. My husband and I have been married for 6 months now and want to start trying in one year. However, I am on zoloft, lithium, and klonopin (and have been for 10 years)...I am scared....Yet, I know it will all work out!!!!!!! Best to all of you......and thanks for suggestions~~~~

Old 12-30-2006, 05:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

well, I got married, couldn't get pregnant for some reason (so far), possible due to an ovarian cyst or to what my obgyn thinks is very early perimenopause (sp?)......
Unreal.....
I have since been divorced, my panic attacks stopped and I stopped taking zoloft, anxiety is mild mostly and only once in a while now so I can live with that.
I read a million books and researched a lot about panic disorder to try and find a way to stop them.... Nothing helped me really, except for #1. diaphragmatic (sp?) breathing a.k.a., belly breathing, which if you don't practic and get just right will make you feel worse.... Once I got it down though and I had to practic when not have an attack so it would take less concentration when i was having an attack -I could stop an attack in no more than 10 or so seconds, and one single little book I found much later on through my issues walked me through how to fully distract myself and fade panic out of my life/mind. My attacks were pretty much gone at this point but I still had a lot of fear of them and would think of and fear them every day till I followed the book.....
The book is called, Neural Path Therapy and was the last thing I thought would help cause it's one of those sort of practice as you go books but it ended up being the best thing for me... Like CBT minus the therapist but better cause I could be home and comfy w/o some stranger eyeballing me & picking my brain. I hope all of you are well and got to have those babies you mentioned......
Take care...

Closed Thread