It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
What do benzos feel like? (Ativan, Valium, Xanax, Klonopin)

Hey guys. I have a prescription for Ativan (lorazepam) for panic attacks, but I'm afraid to try it. I would appreciate if those of you who have used Ativan, or any other benzo (Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, etc.) would tell me what your experience with them has been like. What do they make you feel like? If you take one in the middle of a panic attack, does the panic go away?

Also, do you swallow the tablet or take it sublingually (dissolve under tongue)?

Thank you very much.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #2

sayNOtoanxiety HB User
Re: What do benzos feel like? (Ativan, Valium, Xanax, Klonopin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber
Hey guys. I have a prescription for Ativan (lorazepam) for panic attacks, but I'm afraid to try it. I would appreciate if those of you who have used Ativan, or any other benzo (Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, etc.) would tell me what your experience with them has been like. What do they make you feel like? If you take one in the middle of a panic attack, does the panic go away?

Also, do you swallow the tablet or take it sublingually (dissolve under tongue)?

Thank you very much.
Hi there. I take Xanax. I take .25 two or three times a day depending on how high my anxiety level is. Lately I've been taking it three times a day. The only effect I feel is that I'm more calm. I don't feel "woozy", "foggy", "out of it", "high" or anything else like that. Sometimes I do feel just slightly dizzy for a few seconds, but that's about it. It's been a lifesaver for me lately. I just hope that I can overcome this bout so I can quit taking it. I hope this helped you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Benzos feel pretty dam good, especially if your having a panic attack. They can be used on an as needed basis and they kick butt for acute attacks. The only problem i had with them is that i built a tolerance to the previously effective thereauputic dose and i didnt want to keep raising the dosage. Many fortunate panic sufferers do not build tolerance though. I'm jeolous.

Take the Ativan without food because it absorbs in your stomach. You dont need to sit and wait for it to dissolve under your toungue. Just swallow it with a glass of water. Ativan is an extremely safe medication and has no adverse effects on the liver (Serax also). All of the benzodiazepines are even safe in overdose. Just make sure you take it exactly as prescribed and do not escalate the dosage on your own or fall into a temptation to take more. Tell your doctor if the prescribed dosage is still not working effectively enough to control your panic symtoms. Remember, Ativan works better on an empty stomach. The other benzos, it doesnt matter.

good luck

Old 12-10-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Hi,

I've never taken Ativan but did try Klonopin at one time...it was a little to much for me but I had no problems at all with Xanax.

I don't take it anymore, like I said not because I had any problems with it but because I no longer need to take it.
I took 1 Quarter MG. twice a day....like the other poster said the only thing it did was make me feel normal, not sleepy, not dizzy, not high, not out of it, just normal.

I never disolved it under my tongue, I just always swallowed mine but I do know people who disolve it under their tongues...they say it gets into your bloodstream faster that way...but I really never felt the need to do that since once I took it the panic was gone within 15 to 20 minutes.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

yeah I used to take clonopin it worked well with no real ill effects other then some tiredness.......also I have taken ativan for several months before....works pretty well it made me feel loads better almost always rid of all my symptoms.For me it just made me normal again ..well as normal i ever have been at least (tee hee).Try not to be afraid of taking it..I had the same issue so i understand being scared,but really it wont harm ya it would probably make ya feel a whole lot better.As someone else stated just take it as your doctor has perscribed remember you can always lower you dose on your own but try not to take more then perscribed.If you feel it isnt working call your doctor.

As far as how to take it I have takin it with water and also disolved under my tongue for me either way was fine didnt seem to make a difference the good news is they dont have a nasty taste! I have heard also though for some under the tongue works a bit faster.

good luck to you

Old 12-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

i am taking xanax .25mg 3 times a day.. i feel nothing but better... no side effects at all for me.. i sleep all night also without waking up 5 or more times for no reason.. i was afraid to try a benzo at first like many people are but it turned out they just work for me and i was worried about nothing.. good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

KingPaulos HB User

Benzos are great especially when you just have mild tension, but in huge anxiety I'm not sure... it doesn't stop my palpitations in my case, but I'm sure it should help you. It creates a soothing effect and I've heard it "sends happy waves" to your brain, lol.

Old 12-11-2005, 08:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Hey everybody, thanks a lot. Your posts are very helpful and reassuring. I'm especially glad to hear that no one feels "drugged" or strange on the benzos. That was my biggest worry.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #9
(female)

althea815 HB User

I was afraid of this too. I've had a bottle of xanax for a month and have been too afraid to take a .25mg pill because I have a child and didn't want to be a zombie or something. Thanks to all for helping us feel better.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #10
(female)

Jazzy Flower HB User

I've taken Xanax for several years as needed for my panic attacks/anxiety. I dont' have any negative side effects at all. It just helps to calm me down and get back to normal. I wouldn't worry about taking the meds. They have been really helpful for me.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

My Klonopin has been the only thing I've ever tried that has stopped my panic attacks, which are quite severe. I have two types: a 0.125 mg wafer that I take daily, and a 0.5 mg prescription for REALLY bad days, like going to the dentist. It's wonderful; I still get panic attacks, which I'd never want to completely get rid of, because they've been a part of me since I was three, but it takes the edge off of the worst ones that I get in the morning before classes start.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 12-14-2005 at 02:37 AM.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

what symptoms do you get with your attacks? any dizziness?

Old 12-14-2005, 02:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

It's a fast-acting pill that dissolves quickly, so my symptoms abate within 15 minutes of taking it. Still, I have very severe panic attacks, and for some, the 0.5 lessens the symptoms to a normal panic attack, so I'm able to function. The reason I needed the 0.125 is because the 0.5 made me extremely tired, and unable to get any work done, and when you're a college freshman, this isn't really an ideal situation! Not to mention that I'm also on Prozac and Lamictal, which also cause drowsiness... I think why I require such a low dosage is because I've seriously had panic attacks for 15 years, since age 3, practically every day- a lot of the time, several times a day. Thus, my body has become so accustomed to having them that any amount of medication will work. I doubt that such a low dose will always work, but when I first started medication at age 15 for "generalized anxiety" (did my own research and was astounded to find that I have the "pure obsessional" type of OCD- been suffering since age 4, severely since age 11...), I started on a mere 25 mg of Zoloft, and it calmed me, no lie, the first day. I highly doubt it was a "placebo effect" either, because both my mother and I saw the change. 25-50 worked for a year, but I was up to 250 this past August and it wasn't doing anything. So, that's why I guess my systems are overly-sensitive: the symptoms have been present for such a long time that my basal ganglia/sympathetic nervous system respond to any help they can get at first.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 12-14-2005 at 02:37 AM.

Closed Thread