It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

angel2005 HB User
Lexapro questions

My MD has prescribed 10 mg of lexapro for my anxiety and/or depression. Doc wants me to take 1/2 pill only. I don't like taking meds and feeling "spaced" out. I am very sensitive to meds and even cold medicine makes me feel spacey. Has anyone had good or bad effects with lexapro? I would like to know either way. How about withdrawal? How does/did you feel while taking it?

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
(male)

Looneyinmn HB User
Re: Lexapro questions

2 years ago I went on Lexapro for anxiety. I stayed on 20 mg for 16 months or so and it worked well for my anxiety. When my prescription ran out early last summer I was feeling good so I didn't renew my prescription and quit taking it. Soon I had headaches, dizziness and generally felt like crap. Not knowing at the time this was withdrawal symptom I got freaked out again and went back on 10 mg this fall which cured all the dizziness and headaches but now I am generally achy. Is it a side effect of the lexapro or just a problem from the anxiety?, I don't know.

I guess the moral of the story is the lexapro worked well for my anxiety, the side effects were mild, the worse being it bottomed my sex drive out which has caused a little tension between my wife and I but I can also say when I went off it last summer it bounced right back. If you do go on make sure when the time comes you ease off very slowly so hopefully you can avoid the withdrawal symptoms. If you want to get an idea of some of the possibilities look up ssri withdrawal symptoms. My plan is to stay on the 10mg for another month or so and then back off slowly. Hope this helps.
Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: Lexapro questions

hello
I took Lexapro for about 4 months at 20 mg. I had some slight lightheadedness here and there for the first week of taking Lexapro.This didnt bother me much at all and once it started working very well (about 2 to 3 weeks later) I had almost forgotten about the lightheaded times.I recently had to stop the Lexapro cold turkey because of no health insurance and it hadnt been bad at all I have had this slight shock sensation in my head and chest with sharp eye movement and thats it.ALTHOUGH I would never reccomend abruptly stopping any SSRI we are all different so the way my mind reacted to the cold turkey drop may not be the way yours would.The best thing to do ,if possible,is to taper off these meds under doctor supervision.I would say maybe you should try the Lexapro I am sure the anxiety got pretty bad for you otherwise you wouldnt have seeked help for it.You will never know if Lexapro will benifit you or not until you try.This med helped me a great deal I cannot say weather it will you or not though.If you try and it doesnt work there are many others to give a go.

I hope you feel better real soon!

Closed Thread