It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
(female)

nicklyn33 HB User
Question 9 yrs of xanax ??

Hi I have had anxiety and panic ,along with a fast heart rate and skips. I have been on on xanax for 9 yrs , I still need them but I have noticed a change in me .what I am wondering does anyone else stay on the drug for that long ? I dont over take my pres ;but know that i will have withdrawls if im out of them .So im trying to do my homework on this subject ,and i"ve spoke with my doc. just curious as others view and treatment. thx

Old 12-22-2005, 05:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: 9 yrs of xanax ??

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you've noticed a change in yourself.
But anyway, I took Xanax (the generic form) everyday for 7 years....1 quarter MG. twice a day.
I never felt shakey or anything like that between doses I've also heard some people say that they can tell when it wears off, but I never felt that way either...guess I'm kind of a freak

I don't have panic/anxiety problems any more so I ( with the help of my Doctor) weaned off and I didn't have any trouble...but the key was that I weaned very slowly.

Not sure if that answers your question or not, just my experiance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2005, 06:30 AM   #3
(female)

stillhopefull HB User

Did the xanax make you tired when you took it?

Old 12-22-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

No, it never made me tired at all even the very first pill I took didn't make me tired.
All it ever did was make me feel normal.

I have heard others say that it does make them tired when they first start taking it, but that after they get used to it they don't have that problem.

Maybe I didn't get tired because I was on such a low dose, or maybe it's simply my body chemistry.
It just effects everyone differently I guess.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
(female)

nicklyn33 HB User

When I take them I feel normal, but I have noticed memory problems and my family is on me because they say they are so addictive. but if i was in pain i would take pain pills so what is the difference. I take 2 mg a day ,mostly the script is 4 mg a day. i am just curiuos about long term side effects

Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

I've never noticed any memory problems, now or when I was taking them...but like they, everyone is different.

While it's true that SOME people do become dependent on them or tolorant to them, not everyone does...I never did.
I took the same dose everyday for the whole 7 years I was on it...never once did I take more...in fact like you I took half of what the prescription was written for.

My Doctor gave me some great words of advice...he said it's great to take less and just because the bottle says you can take "X" amount "X" amount of times a day does not mean you HAVE to take that much.
He told me that if at any time I felt that the dose I was prescribed wasn't cutting it anymore then I SHOULD NOT up the dose on my own...I was to call him and we'd discuss weaning off and finding something else.
But like I said I never had to do that, because I never took as much as the prescription said I could in the first place.

As for long term side effects, I never had one single problem the whole time I was on them and I've been off for close to 2 years now and haven't had any problems since.

But again, that's just my experiance and if you have concerns about the memory problems you're having talking to your Doctor would be the best thing to do.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
(female)

nicklyn33 HB User

Hey thanks for your responses, i was just curious about that memory thing but other than that I feel normal on them

Old 12-23-2005, 07:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

nicklyn33,

i was just wondering if the 2mg you are taking now was the starting dose?
or did you start off with a really low dose and had to work up to a dose that was effective for you?. i am only taking .25mg 3 times a day but my script is for 3mg a day.. so i know its ok if i take more if i need it and some days i do... but i am wondering if the reason i need more at times is because i am getting tolorant to them or if the amount i am taking was never enough in the first place... usually i am ok with the .25mg 3 times a day but for some reason i have days where i am extra anxious for no reason at all and need a 4th pill...

Last edited by Punkdizzle; 12-23-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
(female)

nicklyn33 HB User

HI I started off with .5 3x a day then went to 1mg to 4x aday and it has stayed like that for 9 yrs well in between that i had ativan 1 mg 4x day
I feel real anxious at times so i have to take the extra,but try to take less like a 1/2 a pill. but if I didnt have them I would feel real side effects
really bad .I never went without them until i got divorced and couldnt buy them after 7 yrs of a steadill taking them .finally i had to get them after a week . and teh doctor told me never to go off just like that again.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

oh my you are in for a world of hurt i was on xanax for 2 years i went off of them i laid in bed for a month shaking and feeling like i was choking it took me along time to feel normal to be able to go out in public and not have a panic attack allmost a year as a matter of fact and guess what else these pill's also did the weaknd the muscle that keep's me stomache acid where it belong's so i have had gerd for 5 years i even went through surgery to try to stop it and now i have even more problem's i have spasm's in my esphougus and now they think i have a block in my intestine's so i am in severe pain everytime i eat did the doctor who prescribed this drug tell you that you shouldn't be on it longer than six month's because you will become addicted this is a really horriable drug that should be banned yeah it's all fine and dandy when you are on it but wait till you try to live without it

Old 12-23-2005, 01:41 PM   #11
(female)

nicklyn33 HB User

no i was never told of anything it has been wondering and noticing changes for me to question it . i went 11 days with out them my heart beat so hard
i was sweatty jumpy shaky weird weird feelings. I would try to fall asleep
and violently awake from a sudden jerk. besides the fact i got no more than 3 to 4 hrs of sleep in that 11 days no lie . i was so naseaus i lost 10 lbs that week couldnt concentrate on reading which is what i love to do or watch tv it was bad. I never over took it ,so i was really surprised at all that.

Last edited by nicklyn33; 12-23-2005 at 02:33 PM. Reason: wnat to make sure it posted

Old 12-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Nicklyn33,

If you're taking Xanax for a long period of time you should never just stop taking them.
Xanax is one of the drugs that you have to wean off of.

While what the other poster said maybe true for some it's certainly isn't true for everyone.
Like I said I took Xanax every single day of my life for 7 years and never became dependent on or tolorant to them.
I weaned off of them and had no problems at all and have had no problems at all since I went off of them...not one single panic attack, not one other medical problem at all, except the odd sinus infection, cold here and there.

You have to remember that not everyone has the same reaction to any drug...no matter what it is.

My Doctor did tell me that in SOME people, Xanax shouldn't be used for long periods of time, but there are people...and I was one of them...who have such severe panic/anxiety...in other words... anxiety that can come on for no reason as well as being brought on by a trigger... that a benzo long term is really the only answer for them.

Like I said before I think your best bet is to discuss any changes you're feeling with your Doctor.

Do you see your Doctor often?
I just ask becasue the whole time I took Xanax I had to go back and see my Doctor every two months.
At these visits he would ask me if my panic/anxiety was better, worse or the same...how I was feeling in general...had a noticed anything different and he always made sure to ask me how much I was taking...was I still taking less than the prescription was written for...did I have days that I took less and days that I took was I was prescribed....had I ever take more than I was prescribed, as well as other things.

He kept a very close eye on me the entire time I was on them...but like I said I always took half of what I was prescribed and never once even took a half pill more.

I used to laugh and tell him I took what I did because of my OCD...that it was in my head that half a MG. twice a day was all that I needed so that's all that I ever took.

Now that I wrote a novel...as I tend to do ....the best advice I can give you is to make an appointment with the Doctor who prescribed the Xanax and discuss you're concerns with him/her...and if he/she doesn't want to listen to you, then find a Doctor that will listen.
I was blessed with a wonderful Doctor who always listened and was very caring and concerned.

Xanax was the one and only thing that ever worked for me, but as with everything it's not the right choice for everyone...it maybe that the time has come for you to wean off the Xanax and try something else.

But please talk to your Doctor if you feel it's not working anymore or if you feel any difference at all.

Good luck to you and be well

Old 12-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #13
(male)

boobo0 HB User

Graciecat you do a great job answering and offering advice, its a bonus to have people like you around. Spider while your experience with Xanax might not have resulted the way you would have liked, I dont know if the response you gave would do anything but terrify an already anxious person.

This is my second tour on the Xanax ride (i also take .25 mg twice a day every day, no more no less) and of all the research I have done your experience maybe falls within 1 out of 500-1000. I mean I'm not exactly sure of the number but I have never read such adverse response to it.

Just my opinion and I'm not trying to downplay your experience as it could very much be true. I just wanted to offer my thoughts.

Good luck all and Happy Holidays.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Boobo0....I do my best

Old 12-23-2005, 07:54 PM   #15
(female)

nicklyn33 HB User

thank you for your replies and wishes Graciecat . I see the doc every 2 months. I myself am a ver very anxious person, i know how to deal with it better now though. bless you and Happy Holidays

Closed Thread