It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
(male)

ediot HB User
Can anxiety cause abnormal stress test result?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a 34y/o male. Been having left quadrant pain for some time now. I had a stress test done 3 weeks ago. I had myself worked up over it. I lasted 3 minutes on the treadmill before I was told to stop due to my heart rate which had reached it's target bpm. I had no pain or dizziness.The doc said we should not see that happen since I should be in better shape apparently for my age, which I can understand, and we were only in the so called warm up phase. However it took a good 15 minutes to get my heart rate down below 100 bpm. I was so focused on looking at my heart rate I think that could have contributed to why it took long, I was real nervous at this point. Received a call from my referring doc who said the results were abnormal. I had a low excercise tolerance and something did'nt look right on the nuclear image. I am now going to see another cadiologist for a possible angiogram. MY question is if it were something major would they wait for further testing? Did I really get my self worked up that much to alter results? I do believe that I do suffer from anxiety and now the waiting makes it even worse. PLease shed some light.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
(female)

nicklyn33 HB User
Re: Can anxiety cause abnormal stress test result?

Hi I know for me I have sinus tach,which is a fast heart rate,and of course
anxiety.I too took a stress test which i was on there for 20 min. but mine
came back normal ,despite the fact I have PVC'S and PAC"S and a heart rate
as high as 180 . Not too scare you keep calm and rested and wait
for the docs to discuss it with you . are you overweight ? smoke? and what
kind of problems were you having to make you go . I smoke makes
sense huh ? I really havent helped you but i know the sheer terror I use to
exp . due to anxiety and fast heart rate ,so I responded. please keep us posted.

sorry couldn"t help more than that

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
(male)

ediot HB User

Thanks for caring. I quit smoking a year ago. I could stand to lose about 20 lbs. I had been getting pain, actually more like a muscle discomfort on my chest's left side. My family history as far as cardiac issues is a little shaky. I think that is what really freaks me out. I am trying to eat healthy and all. But this test issue is really weighing on me hard. I sometimes get real anxious when I am out and about. That seems to be a recent issue. I think it has to do with the unknown diagnosis, ie the "abnormal stress test".

Old 12-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
(male)

ediot HB User

I have been taking .25 mgs of Xanax for a few months to help with the"issues".

Old 12-30-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
(male)

Jonev11 HB User

anxiety can cause your heart rate to be high and stay high. i know when I was in the ER due to a panic attack I had a heart rate over 120 for most of the time. I also had a stress echo done with nuclear imaging. Mine came back abnormal as well and I am 28, don't smoke, not fat, and was running 5 miles 3 times a week. So I ended up getting an angiogram which showed nothing wrong. The nuclear stress test can be wrong especially if your are tall and thin. The bottom of the heart can rest on the diaphragm which can throw off results.

But I am not a physician and this in no way has any outcome for you. I would hope your physician would have explained everything thoroughly.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
(male)

ediot HB User

Thanks. Well that's the thing. My referring MD did not have much to say other than the test was what it was and that I need to go see an Interventional Cardiologist. Hopefully he can set things straight when I go. Glad that all went well with you.
Oh and I am not tall but maybe that holds weight with shorter folk too.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
(female)

Pauline1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediot
Thanks for caring. I quit smoking a year ago. I could stand to lose about 20 lbs. I had been getting pain, actually more like a muscle discomfort on my chest's left side. My family history as far as cardiac issues is a little shaky. I think that is what really freaks me out. I am trying to eat healthy and all. But this test issue is really weighing on me hard. I sometimes get real anxious when I am out and about. That seems to be a recent issue. I think it has to do with the unknown diagnosis, ie the "abnormal stress test".
Hi Ediot,

I quit smoking a year and a half ago, and I can honestly say I have never felt worse in my life. I am very tempted to start smoking again just to feel better. Since I have quit smoking, I have suffered from shortness of breath, and to this day still do. I have tried Paxil and a couple other med's to try and get this breathing thing under control. Didn't work, all the drugs did was make me fat (20lbs). I am totally off all meds except the ocassional Lorazepam (spelling) which I try not to take at all. My doctor is still says it is anxiety that is causing my breathing problem. I have no feelings of anxiety or stress, as a matter of fact I feel very calm and have for some time. I do however get a feeling like my heart is beating hard, and this feeling will happen for no reason.
I am going to see another doctor for a second opinion, as I find it very hard to believe that it is anxiety causing this problem.
Don't gett yourself all anxious over this testing, go and see what the doctor has to say.
Wish you the best.

Closed Thread