It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #1

sayNOtoanxiety HB User
Heart palps????....

This question is for those of you who have experienced heart palpitations. Have you ever had more than just a skipped or extra beat in a row? I've had heart palps for over 15 years, but normally it's just a skip or extra beat and then it's over. Yesterday, I felt like what was a few wierd palps all in a row (I couldn't even tell if they were skips or extra's or what) followed by two kind of hard beats and then it was over. It scared the daylights out of me though. I had an event monitor done a couple of weeks ago (it was for 2 weeks) and all we caught were the PVC's so they said I was fine. I was supposed to have the event monitor for a full month but the tech at the hospital thought they had enough info over the two weeks I had it and he called my Dr and recommended I take the monitor back in. My Dr agreed with the tech so I didn't get the last two weeks of the monitor. I don't know what to do. I've had a tight feeling in my chest, but it's up more just below my throat and into my throat, along with alot of throat clearing. I think this is due to the heartbearn I've been having lately and my anxiety. I don't think it's heart related, but after the wierd palps yesterday, I just don't know. Over the past few months I've had 2 EKG's, blood tests to check for heart muscle damage, 2 chest X-rays, and the event monitor. Everything was normal. I just hate this.

Last edited by sayNOtoanxiety; 01-14-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
(female)

MrsPM HB User
Re: Heart palps????....

I've had similar palpitations to the ones you described. Sometimes I would get a fluttering sensation. It was like I would have a few skipped or extra beats in a row then my heart would start beating fast and it felt abnormal, like a flutter is the best way I can describe it. It is a very scary experience, but I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it happens more often. If so, I would call your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

i have had heart palps for a while and it was blamed on anxiety... after my first echo... a few years later i had a second echo done because i was having pain with the palps... it turned out to be Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.. and i am now on a beta blocker.. not saying thats your problem and it probably is not... but i am saying palps are not always from anxiety so best to get all the tests done you can to ease your mind and be sure..

Last edited by Punkdizzle; 01-14-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Old 01-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

hollister HB User

I have to say that heart palps always scared me, but they never hurt in any way. I think you tend to get anxious when something unusually happens in your body. I just ignore them now. A lot of the time they happen because i've eaten too much salt and i'm dry or hot, or i ate sugar, or caffiene, or if i'm focusing on a bad problem. Maybe pay attention to what you're eating or thinking about lately that day when it happens.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I agree caffiene,chocolate (mmmmm) aggitate and cause palps.Also nicotene and some others.I have had alot of palps .fast rate,irregular beating (sometimes all night long),big quivers,and pauses the longest pause I had was about 40 seconds and of course I was scared as ever jumped up from my chair and just started breathing in deep.These things can be pretty scarey,but I have heard they wont harm you.It good you had the montior and all if they recorded them and say they are harmless then I wouldnt worry about it being anything dangerous.I know easier said then done I am a big worry wart myself.

take care

Old 01-16-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
(female)

daftthing HB User

I get heart palps quite often, but I also get overly anxious quite often. The last time I got them I think it was triggered by the fact that I took my meds after getting home from drinking a fair bit. I take beta blockers which helps.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I was getting heart palps a lot awhile back. I'd had them once in awhile before, but it started happening very frequently. I had all the tests to rule out heart problems. My doctor gave me a beta-blocker (Atenolol) and it totally got rid of my palps, and also helped my heart not race so I didn't have panic attacks either.

I think my palps were from hormonal changes due to perimenopause, but also from anxiety. I don't worry about them anymore. I haven't been on the beta-blocker for a couple of years, but it's good to know if the palps start up again, there's something to help me.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
(female)

peacefrogs79 HB User

I get these things too. for about 10 years now and im 26. Mine come out of nowhere and they feel like a flutter that takes my breath away only for a second or two but each and every time I get one it scares the crap out of me! Ive had bloodwork,ekg's,echo and a 24 hr holter and they say im fine. I am a hyperchondriac so I do worry alot BUT while wearing the monitor I never felt a flutter so I keep telling myself they missed something. But my cardiologist isnt concerned. Now im 33 weeks pregnant and my anxiety has been sooo bad during this pregnancy. I keep fearing that something is going to happen to my baby or these flutters will hurt her? And worrying about all this has sent these flutters into over drive. I use to get them about once a week, now I get them almost daily! Can anyone relate?????

Old 01-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

yes I can relate when I was preg with my 4th child I had this same concern I wasnt getting alot of the flutters then but I had a pounding racing beat almost daily for a few months my doctor told me it would not harm the baby and it didnt he is now 2 yrs old and doing fine.I do not think flutters will be harmful to your baby either or you.I think you need to try and relax if your still concerned call your doctor so they can tell you.

it will be alright take care!

Old 01-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
(female)

peacefrogs79 HB User

Thanks tnmomoffive! It is sooo comforting to hear those words! I had some flutters when I was pg with my son but not like this time! I am having a girl so im thinking that im dealing with double the hormones..lol.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Lots of things can cause this, even medications. Did your doc rule out mitral valve prolapse? I had been diagnoised with it years ago....back then I had the best doc who said I could take medication for it but that regular vigorous exercise would lessen it. And boy was he right, it really doesn't bother me anymore and I'm not on medication.

Anyway, look into MVP as it is a possible reason amoung many.

Last edited by Jennita; 01-17-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #12

sayNOtoanxiety HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I'm having a 24 Hr. Holter monitor done tomorrow. My Dr. said that with the results of my recent event monitor showing only PVC's, (which he assured me time and time again are completely harmless) that he didn't think the Holter was necessary but that he'd order it anyway just to be sure and to help with my peace of mind. I think after this test I'm going to ask about Mitral Valve Prolapse. He didn't mention this to me but I want to bring it up just to see what he says. I'm pretty sure only an Echo will diagnose this. I had an echo done years ago when I first started having the palps and it was completely normal back then, no MVP, but I don't know if it can develop later on in life, or if it's something I would have been born with. I'm 38 and I was about 23 when I first started having palps. I've just been having them so much more often lately. It's scary.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #13
(female)

peacefrogs79 HB User

sayno, im the same way. Ive had them for 10 years but they are much worse right now. ive only had the 24 hr monitor and of course wasnt symptamatic so i still worry. ive had an echo also and it showed no mvp. Im not 100% but i do believe this is something that can develop over time

Old 01-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #14

sayNOtoanxiety HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbeegirl
I have extra beats quite often (I'm 29). Sometimes as many as 100 a day. They are very scary, but also benign. I am learning to live with them and not let them ruin my day. They sound similar to yours, I get the skipped beat then the extra thud indicative of either PACs or PVCs. If they get bad enough, they can put you on meds to try and relieve them. Have your thyroid checked out and also see if you are deficient in magnesium and potassium. Some people have responded well to supplements. My PACs get worse when I eat, drink alcohol, exercise and lay in certain positions. But if I ignore them, they go away fast. If I stress (and believe me this really gets them going) it just makes it worse. So I choose to make them a very small deal (not easy - very scary and tough to ignore hard thuds in your chest!), because I want to enjoy my life and not let these get in the way. Also, check out some PAC and PVC message boards. I find there are some good ways of dealing with these. Take care.
Thanks Derbeegirl. I have had my thyroid checked and all was well. These palps are very scary. I've decided that all I can do is trust in my Dr. and believe that they are completely harmless. I know my stressing will only make them worse. Thanks again!

Closed Thread