It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
(male)

DanielJohnson HB User
GABA vs Valerian Root

I am interested in either taking GABA or Valerian Root to manage my anxiety. I would be taking either supplement during the daytime. I do not currently have any sleep problems so using either supplement before bedtime wouldn't be applicable. I have read that GABA has a challanging time crossing the blood brain barrier. I haven't read such an issue regarding Valerian Root. The only thing I am really trying to find out regarding these two supplements is which one produces less of a drowsy side effect when taken at a normal dosage, BUT still manages to help with anxiousness.

Can anyone help?

Old 01-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: GABA vs Valerian Root

it can be hard to find 2 naturapaths who would give the same answers to your questions
try them and let us know how you go

remember that all anxiety sufferers are likely to get a strong placebo effect from their meds and the more expensive the med is, the stronger the placebo effect often is

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
it can be hard to find 2 naturapaths who would give the same answers to your questions
try them and let us know how you go

remember that all anxiety sufferers are likely to get a strong placebo effect from their meds and the more expensive the med is, the stronger the placebo effect often is
The more expensive a medication is, the stronger the placebo effect? I don't understand that.

I think GABA might be just as effective as Valerian root but IMO the benzos are much more effective. I've also drank some German Chamomile a few times which was pretty good. It made me kind of drowsy too. I'm just not sure how any of these herbs or natural supplements effect you if you're using them in conjunction with psych meds.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
(male)

DanielJohnson HB User

In 2003 I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and was put on Paxil. Paxil had sexual side effects with me so I got switched to Lexapro. I was on Lexapro for a little over a year then was taken off simply because I felt a % better and I didn't like how I felt disconnected with reality (kind of like I was emotionally numb to everything, good or bad). About a year after getting off lexapro my anxiety came back (for no apparent reason) so my NEW doctor put me on Lexapro and Xanax. For some weird reason Lexapro this time around started giving me strong sexual side effects and I started to be reminded about that alienating feeling from my last experience with Lexapro... so I have just recently taken myself off of it. I am still using Xanax strictly on an as needed basis.

The reason I want to switch to "natural" remedies is because it just makes me feel like I'm doing something good for my body. The concept of man made mood enhancers kind of put me off and I would like to just see if the natural way works any better. I have done plenty of my own research and have selected to take the following supplements:

Ginkgo Biloba
Ginger Root
SAMe
St. Johns Wort
Flaxseed Oil

My last decision I need to make is chosing a relaxing agent such as GABA and or Valerian Root. I think after more research I am going to go with Valerian Root because it sounds more my speed. Of course it may not even affect me the way I would like... we shall see. If not I can stick with my Xanax script, but I'd rather use something that doesn't have an addiction potential.

Thanx for the tips. If you have any more advice please throw it my way

Closed Thread