It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
(male)

bdohany HB User
panic disorder and gad symptoms

I actually do not have panic disorder or GAD but get the symptoms once in a while due to my speech impediment. For example, when i have to make a class presentation or go to a job interview. When i have to talk in front of a class, my heart starts racing and i start to sweat and my stomach feels funny. Which anxiety drug would alleviate these symptoms on an "as needed" basis meaning I dont need to take pills everyday, only when i have to talk for a period of time. I understand that valium is good for this, but isnt valium good only if you worry a lot? like isnt it more cognitive based rather than physical?

pretty much i need something that will take away the physical symptoms before i have to give a speech or something of that sort. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: panic disorder and gad symptoms

Valium would be great. I take Xanax and I think that would be great too. There's also Ativan and Klonipin, but I'm not familiar with these myself. You can take a very low dose so it relaxes you, makes you feel normal but not sleepy. I'm not sure what you mean by coginitive based, but I can tell you doctors prescribe Valium sometimes to relax muscles, so I would say it's more of a physical calming than a mental calming or drugged feeling. Does that make sense? When I take Xanax for anxiety, I still am very clear-headed, but calmer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdohany
I actually do not have panic disorder or GAD but get the symptoms once in a while due to my speech impediment. For example, when i have to make a class presentation or go to a job interview. When i have to talk in front of a class, my heart starts racing and i start to sweat and my stomach feels funny. Which anxiety drug would alleviate these symptoms on an "as needed" basis meaning I dont need to take pills everyday, only when i have to talk for a period of time. I understand that valium is good for this, but isnt valium good only if you worry a lot? like isnt it more cognitive based rather than physical?

pretty much i need something that will take away the physical symptoms before i have to give a speech or something of that sort. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Valium is just as effective for all types of anxiety disorders as Xanax and Klonopin. Ofcourse people have there personal preferences. I'm not sure what you mean by cognitive based and physical either. Also, Valium starts working very quickly because it is absorbed so rapidly from the intestines. I think you might be referring to the beta blockers which work more on the motor manefistations of anxiety.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
(male)

bdohany HB User

by cognitive i mean that when i search for GAD online, i get results that say that GAD symptoms include worrying too much about one thing while symptoms for panic disorder include the racing heart and sweating, etc...WHen i give a presentation, i am trying to get rid of the physical symptoms such as my heart racing, sweating, nervous feeling in the stomach. To my understanding, valium is better for GAD and xanax for panic disorder.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdohany
by cognitive i mean that when i search for GAD online, i get results that say that GAD symptoms include worrying too much about one thing while symptoms for panic disorder include the racing heart and sweating, etc...WHen i give a presentation, i am trying to get rid of the physical symptoms such as my heart racing, sweating, nervous feeling in the stomach. To my understanding, valium is better for GAD and xanax for panic disorder.
In 96' there was a good study done comparing Valium and Xanax in the treatment of pd. Valium proved to be just as effective. Panic disorder and GAD are very similar. Some docs call panic disorder an accute form of GAD. Basically theyre saying it is under the same category. Valium was around before panic disorder was even recognized or I should say "defined."

Old 01-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Oh, I see. Well, I can say I've felt both the constant worry you describe for GAD and the racing heart, etc. of panic attacks, and Xanax is great for both. If racing heart is your main trouble, you could look into taking beta-blockers. I've taken Atenolol (but on a daily basis) and it worked wonders to keep my heart stable so I didn't panic. See if you can take them on an as needed basis...I have heard of people doing this.

Closed Thread