It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
(female)

delcy HB User
Xanax...is this safe?

I've read alot of post , with people taking Xanax. Is this medication safe? And is there alot of side effects. Is this a relaxer cause thats what i need I think something to calm me down when an attack comes on.
Please let me know.
Thanks, Delcy
xoxo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User
Re: Xanax...is this safe?

i dont think to many ppl have side effects with xanax.. The only side effect i have ever had was a little extra tiredness during the day..
i did not feel drugged or anything.. but that side effect went away after a week of starting it.

safe.. yes id say its safe the only thing that i think would make it unsafe is if you were allergic to something in it.. but thats like peanuts.. they are safe for most everyone but a few people have a bad reacton to them..

yup it will relax you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

xanax is one of many valium type meds and is safe if prescribed and taken sensibly, its useful for panic attacks and works fastest if a tablet is disolved under the tongue
side effects for all valium type meds are usually mild, feeling drunk or drugged can happen at first until you get used to it, if so reduce the dose for a while, be cautious driving on these meds, especially when first starting one

xanax sadly has a bad reputation, as its popular with those addicted to illegal drugs who have run out
docs have to continually see these people who have excuses and ask for xanax
for this reason, genuine anxiety sufferers perhaps shouldnt ask for it but ask for a valium type med and let doc decide which

Old 01-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
(female)

amylynn123 HB User

I have been using Xanax for a severe panic disorder.
It is a sedative and will cause fatigue in some people.
Careful with the rebound anxiety it can cause....
Some doctors are reluctant to use this drug, because it has a high risk of abuse.
I have found that people who truly suffer from anxiety, this is a great drug.
I tell my doctor that it does not give me a "high" because it doesn't....
It does for people who don't have anxiety and that is why they are very careful of who gets their hands on it.
Good luck

Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Xanax is very safe and has been in use for years and years...actually I guess it is valium that has been in use for years, but they are pretty close to the same thing. I have never experienced nor heard anything bad about Xanax, except of course for the addition potential, but that usually only occurs when it is taken at high doses like 3 mgs or more. I even know people who ARE addicted and have been for 20+years - doesn't seem to cause them any problems to be on it forever.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I also know of anxiety sufferers who have taken high doses of xanax daily for about 20 years and show no signs of any health problems, either physical or mental, although technically they probably would be classed as addicted to it

for a few, it does seem to be their only way of coping with anxiety although its of course not recommended

anyone know of any health damage shown to have been caused by xanax?

Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

I have been on alpraxolem (generic for zanex) for about 20 yrs. and I don't abuse/overuse it but it has been a god-send for my anxiety disorder. I can take 2- 0.5 mg per day but usually break them in half and take 1 a day unless I have a BAD day. No side effects, sleepiness but not like a drugged effect. Good Luck !

Last edited by dinney; 01-26-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Closed Thread