It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
XANAX and Worst anxiety hours after taking it

hey guys I have been on xanax on and off for about 3 months, i started taking it when needed and now i am taking it daily, its getting tough dealing with it because about 4 hrs after i take it my anxiety is at its worst, i am wanting to try klonopin because the side effect i am getting is not that great espcialy since i am getting alot of panic attacks after taking it i am only takig half of a 0.5 2x a day, anyway my eyes look so bloodshot too, its crazy even hubby knows when i on it. its like the more i increase my dose the more i need.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Re: XANAX and Worst anxiety hours after taking it

Might I suggest you talk to your doctor about it? In some people, increased anxiety is a result, not decreased. Perhaps he'll switch you to something else.

jb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi hun and yes i actually have an appt on the 31st of jan, hopefully he will recommend something other than a low dose of seraquil which i refuse to take because of it causing diabetes, hopefully something else can help me.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

seroquel is an antipsychotic which most psychiatrists now agree is useless for anxiety
your xanax dose is low but it seems that xanax isnt the benzo for you so I hope doc will give you some klonapin
perhaps doc has misdiagnosed you as being psychotic, ask him

Old 01-27-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi, actually no I am far from psychotic lol
but she gave me 25 mg said it works like a charm for anxiety, she says higher doses are given to schizophrenics, some people take up to 900 mg accordng to her so 25 is just for a highly anxious person, she says she gives most of her patients with anxiet seroquel,

but she diagnosed me with GAD, i asked her while i was there and she said that the stress at home is causing all this mess and that normallyl psychotic people cant even sit on a chair still for 2 hrs like i did lol., but she doesnt belive in benzos liek ativan or xanax for anxiety she says that they are highly addictive and i am better off taking seroquil for a few months at a low dose, i belive she is very wrong so i will see another doc on the 31st of jan,because even though benzos are addictive maybe if i get on the right one they might help me, anti psychotic meds scare me for sure! hopefully the new doc will help me since this old one swears by seroquil! wish me luck

Last edited by jennyVee; 01-27-2006 at 09:20 AM.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: XANAX and Worst anxiety hours after taking it

My husband has ADHD, and is recently on low-dose Seroquel for it's calming effect (he's also on Strattera and another ADD med. His ADHD is quite stubborn, and very hard to live with for both him and me).

Benzo's are addictive. I know -- I was addicted to clobazam -- took 75mg daily for three years for seizure disorder, then when I stopped, I had panic attacks and am still having them. No one warned me about this possibility though, and as I was under the impression the drug ws called "frissium", it never occurred to me. (Also caused a severe hypothyroid condition, but I didn't know that it was the cause till I stopped.) It was, for me, an evil drug. Someone should have warned me.

So you might want to try the Seroquel, depending whether you'd have to take the benzo's every day. You could investigate it online.

jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 01-27-2006 at 10:48 AM. Reason: pressed the wrong key!

Old 01-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi what is ADHD? anyway i wwish i could take seroquel but like i said i a afraid of teh diabetes risk, anyway i wonder if there is another similar med out there that doesnt have this risk, i will look into them before go to the doc

Old 01-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ...

Don't blame you for fearing diabetes ...

jb

Old 01-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

oh ok thank for telling me, my major issue is anxiety and always have a fear if getting sick, and my luck is that i alwasy havebeen a person to get sick, i have a thyroid ondition and ended up with myedema coma, and after that i have become much worst since teh doctors told e that my kidneys were almost going to shut down, so now i am alwasy worried about getting sick and dieing and after i had kids i got worst since i worry that i will die and theyw ill be left with no mom

anyway i recently had such bad GERD that cause my throat/laryn to burn up, and i was misdiagnosed with asthma, put on cortisone/advair/albuterol/nebulizer pump, which i did not need it was all an extrem case of acid reflux, but all those meds got me crazier than i was, and finally after 2 endoscopies/2 ent scopes down my throat they figured out the proble! but meanwhile i suffered alot not being able to eat and so weak, and with my thyroid being a mess, its been very tough and since couldnt eat for nearly 3 months and my anxiety got the best of me, my sugar started gettng low because i was only on ensure, i have been able to deal with my anxety for a long time about 11 years on my own without seeing a doctor but after this 3 mnths of mess i went crazy
and had to see a psychiatrist, i also have celexa at ome but have not taken it, i asked her for it, i was thinking of trying lexapro, i heard they are similar but lexapro helps more with anxiety.

Last edited by jennyVee; 01-27-2006 at 11:08 AM.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

i am not sure how to stop teh xanax, i mean i have been taking it as needed basis but recently like for 3 weeks i have been on it daily, as soon as the effect goes away i feel this strange tingling on arms/head as soon as i take it the feeling goes away, I have to stop it but am not sue how to deal with it, if i should just stop cold turkey, a friend tells me that a low dose like the one i am on cannot be addictive but i am not so sure

Last edited by jennyVee; 01-27-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: XANAX and Worst anxiety hours after taking it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyVee
i am not sure how to stop teh xanax, i mean i have been taking it as needed basis but recently like for 3 weeks i have been on it daily, as soon as the effect goes away i feel this strange tingling on arms/head as soon as i take it the feeling goes away, I have to stop it but am not sue how to deal with it, if i should just stop cold turkey, a friend tells me that a low dose like the one i am on cannot be addictive but i am not so sure
Well, everyone responds differently to meds. When I was on clobazam, I ended up not taking very much of it (for reasons I won't go into now -- it's far to complicated and you won't care anyway). Still, shortly after I stopped, I had what I'd assumed was an incident of hyperthyroid (since the drug had made me hypo, I assumed I had Hashi's or something and I was wildly swinging back and forth; turned out that, once off the clobazam, I no longer needed the any synthroid) ... anyhoo, heart pounding, hot flashes, extreme anxiety -- several times a night. I cut down on my synthroid until I was taking nothing. Really helped, but not totally.

All that to say that one doesn't need to take a very large dose of a drug if one takes it every day. Don't go off it cold turkey -- you'll do more harm than good.. Taper down, even if it was a low dose.

You've probably been on the Thyroid Board, but if not, do go there. There are many nice people who will be happy to help you. I don't know what I would have done w/o them when I was having thyroid problems.

jb

Old 01-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow truly amazing how they can even affect your thyroid, anyway I have hypothyroid/hashimotos, and havent been on meds for quite a while even though i asked my medical doc for prozac, and antidepressants i never took them,because i was scared of having to take the for life, i really wish i could find a miracle pill-but then again dont we all, I want to take teh celexa i have at hoe but i a not sure f tha will help my anxiety since i am just pretty anxious, when i am not anxious i am fine, no depression at all, but now i have to fure out how to stop the xanax, i wont take it over the weekend to see if i can stop them for good, wish me luck

By the way teh synthroid makes my acid reflux worst, seems like after i started it a few years ago my acid has been horific, it causes that in some people aghh

Old 01-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Have you tried taking it with food? I used to do that.

jb

Old 01-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi actually i used to chew them up and out them under my tongue for faster absorption, but of course i wont be doing that anymore after what happeend to me, its bad enough they cause acid reflux by swallowing them, imaging chewing them up lol I am now taking it early in the morning with a little food.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Actually, I used to do that too ... didn't taste too bad, as I recall!

I just always take everything with food now, b/c my stomach gets so upset if I don't ... the joys of getting older!!

jb

Closed Thread