It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

bumblebee919 HB User
xanax and caffeine

Hi all - I don't normally drink coffee because it makes my anxiety go up whenever I drink it, but I had barely any sleep today so I drank coffee. I now have a high anxiety level.

My question is -- is it ok to take a xanax when you've had a couple cups of coffee during the day? Caffeine is a stimulant and xanax relaxes you, so is it bad to take xanax when there is a bunch of caffeine running through your system?

Any responses would greatly be appreciated

Thanks everyone!!

Old 01-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: xanax and caffeine

I'm not an expert or a medical professional of any sort so this is just my experiance.

First of all I do have to say that caffeine never made my anxiety worse so I might not be the best person to answer this...but when I took Xanax I drank at least 3 cups of coffee or tea every single day and it never did anything to me.

Like I said, that's just my experiance and caffeine never bothered me in the first place so that could be why I never had a problem.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

heh Its funny you asked this question because for the last 2 months i have been drinking things with caffeine in it in small amounts to see if it would matter with the xanax... no difference i mean i am sure if i had like 6 cups of coffee a day or something i would be wired.. but for me a small amount like 1 cup of coffee or a can of cola does nothing to up my anxiety when i am on xanax..

but anyway to answer your question no i dont think there is anything wrong with taking a xanax when you have had coffee.. if there was i am sure there would be a warning on the label... only food i know of that is a big No-No with xanax is grapefruit.. (and alcohol... but thats a given.)

Last edited by Punkdizzle; 01-30-2006 at 07:46 PM.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
(female)

bumblebee919 HB User

hey all - thanks for the replies! looks like i'm ok to drink coffee then!

by the way -- I've never heard the grapefruit thing before - is it all citrus stuff (like tangerines, oranges, etc) or just grapefruit...and why grapefruit?

Old 01-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee919
hey all - thanks for the replies! looks like i'm ok to drink coffee then!

by the way -- I've never heard the grapefruit thing before - is it all citrus stuff (like tangerines, oranges, etc) or just grapefruit...and why grapefruit?
i think it is because grapefruit will intensify the effect of your med and has something to do with the way it is metabolized in your liver.. but i dont know exactly how it works..

they have always put a warning sticker on my bottle to avoid grapefruit while on the med..

it is just grapefruit ( odd huh ) other citrus stuff is fine.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

From what I was told there's something about Grapefruit that increases the effect of the Xanax.

When I was taking it there was a warning lable on my bottle it said something like "Do not eat Grapefruit or drink it's juice while taking this medication."
That was never a problem for me, because I HATE the taste of Grapefruit.
I'm not a big fan of any citrus fruit, but I did eat an orange every now and then and never had any problems.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
(female)

Triple777 HB User

I take Xanax and drink lots of coffee! They seem to like each other!

Old 01-31-2006, 02:00 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

luv2read HB User

I just took 1/2 of my 0.5 mg xanax and made my coffee for the morning.
The coffee doesn't make a difference for me either. The xanax still works wonderfully!!

Old 01-31-2006, 02:32 AM   #9
(female)

aquatilly HB User

When I drink coffee and have a xanax it doesn't really do anything weird. I have anxiety sometimes with caffeine and if I have too much caffeine all a xanax will do is take that away.
Funny about the grapefruit thing. My rx bottles always say do not drink grape juice. I asked my pharmacist if I could have wine with it, as that involves grapes, they laughed at me and said oh yes that would be just fine good question.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's odd...mine never said anything about grapes, just grapefruit.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:32 AM   #11
(female)

amberil HB User

That is really weird...my bottles have never said anything about grapefruit?? I guess it's a good thing I don't like grapefruit! Learn something new everyday I guess.

Closed Thread