It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Anxiety Message Board


Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 78
sayNOtoanxiety HB User
Waking up gasping for air at night???

Has anyone ever experienced this? I don't think I snore, hubby says no but he's a deep sleeper and snores himself, so maybe he just doesn't hear. It seems that it happens in the first several hours after going to bed. It doesn't happen all the time, but lately it's been once every week or so, and it only happens once a night when it does happen. It's very scary. It does NOT usually lead to a panic attack, although my heart does beat faster after I wake up and am recovering from it. I usually fall back asleep and it doesn't happen again for a week or so. One of the times I was even having a dream that my throat was closed tight immediately before I woke up with it! The first thing people tell me is sleep apnea, but from what I've read about it, snoring is also a major symptom and I just don't think I do. I'm 5'3" and I weigh 110 lbs, so I don't think it's weight related either. Maybe just my GAD? I don't feel like I sleep well at all and I wake up feeling tired and sore many mornings. I also have fibromyalgia, but I'm not sure if this could contribute to this problem either. I guess I can call my Dr. next week, but he always seems to tell me "anxiety", no matter what my symptoms. I've had almost every test in the book lately and everything always comes back normal so that's why he diagnosed me with the anxiety. I just feel like he doesn't take me seriously anymore and it can be frustrating. Anyone have any thoughts or similiar happenings?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,105
tnmomofive HB User
Re: Waking up gasping for air at night???

This has happened to me too about a dozen times maybe but its been a few years since the last time it freaked me out to as it prob would anyone I would suddenly jolt up in the bed gasping for air and of course this will make our hearts pound away because of the fear (fight or flight).I am not sure if you must snore to have sleep apena or not but if this continues on I would ask to be tested.I have heard gerd can cause this when you wake up with this gasping do you ever notice alot of saliva built up? or any acid reflux ?
Also I do believe anxiety can cause this too and your dream you had may support that being the cause.Like I said it happened to me but it stopped I would say if it keeps up demand something be done

 
Old 02-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 225
Countrygirl1 HB User
Re: Waking up gasping for air at night???

I woke up gasping for air in the middle of the night. After I went to my general physician, he referred me to the sleep lab. I had a sleep study. From the results, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Now, I use a C-PAP. Yet, if you read my other thread here I am still having some sleep issues.

 
Old 02-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 400
wiredqs HB User
Re: Waking up gasping for air at night???

Could it be asthma? This will cause spasms and inflammation in the bronchia and difficulty breathing. Hope you feel better soon.

 
Old 02-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 78
sayNOtoanxiety HB User
Re: Waking up gasping for air at night???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmomofive
This has happened to me too about a dozen times maybe but its been a few years since the last time it freaked me out to as it prob would anyone I would suddenly jolt up in the bed gasping for air and of course this will make our hearts pound away because of the fear (fight or flight).I am not sure if you must snore to have sleep apena or not but if this continues on I would ask to be tested.I have heard gerd can cause this when you wake up with this gasping do you ever notice alot of saliva built up? or any acid reflux ?
Also I do believe anxiety can cause this too and your dream you had may support that being the cause.Like I said it happened to me but it stopped I would say if it keeps up demand something be done
I do have GERD. Sometimes it's severe. I had a scope done last September because of it but there was no damage or anything. I'm supposed to be taking Prevacid, but since I started to feel better I quit. I still notice acid reflux alot though. I never thought of this but it's definitely a possibility with me. I'll call my Dr. and see what he says. Thanks!

 
Old 02-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 78
sayNOtoanxiety HB User
Re: Waking up gasping for air at night???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredqs
Could it be asthma? This will cause spasms and inflammation in the bronchia and difficulty breathing. Hope you feel better soon.
I've asked my Dr. about the possibility of asthma because with my anxiety I've had episodes of shortness of breath and the typical anxiety related breathing issues. He's never heard any wheezing of any kind and says I don't have asthma. Thanks for the reply!

 
Old 02-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 78
sayNOtoanxiety HB User
Re: Waking up gasping for air at night???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrygirl1
I woke up gasping for air in the middle of the night. After I went to my general physician, he referred me to the sleep lab. I had a sleep study. From the results, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Now, I use a C-PAP. Yet, if you read my other thread here I am still having some sleep issues.
Just out of curiosity, can I ask you if you snore? I don't believe I do, I'm just not sure if you can have sleep apnea but no snoring. Thanks!

 
Old 02-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 84
anxiouslady HB User
Re: Waking up gasping for air at night???

Hi Everyone.
Just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in. I have sleep apnea (use a c-pap) and my 10 year old does too. You don't have to snore to have sleep apnea. Reason I was tested and diagnosed with it was because I would bolt out of bed gasping for air in the middle of the night.
Take care,
anxiouslady

 
Old 02-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #9
mim mim is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
mim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 741
mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Re: Waking up gasping for air at night???

Hi SayNo, I have the anxiety, depression, GERD, chronic gastritis, IBS, Fibro, Myofascial, thyroid issues, spinal problems and just this week they added sleep apnea. I too don't snore, but my neuro was suspicious when he realized I had all this other stuff too. Apparently they all relate on some level and are symptoms of the FIBRO umbrella. I had no idea I was not breathing even though I was tired a lot. You might be shocked at the apnea/hypnoapnea episodes you are experiencing. I had 69 episodes of either complete lack of breathing, or partial breathing (blockage) in a 4 1/2 hour period! As each dx gets added, I am now saying it is just adding character......lol. Hope this gives you some insight to help.
~Mim

 
Old 02-05-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 225
Countrygirl1 HB User
Re: Waking up gasping for air at night???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayNOtoanxiety
Just out of curiosity, can I ask you if you snore? I don't believe I do, I'm just not sure if you can have sleep apnea but no snoring. Thanks!
I have been told that I snore. However, I have never been awakened by my snoring. Yet, I agree with anxiouslady. You do not have to be a snorer to have sleep apnea. I am also one of those who was primarily diagnosed from episodes of gasping for air in the middle of the night.

I am glad that you have sought out medical advice for this. Hope that you feel better soon! Let us know how you are doing.

 
Old 02-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 78
sayNOtoanxiety HB User
Re: Waking up gasping for air at night???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimgregg
Hi SayNo, I have the anxiety, depression, GERD, chronic gastritis, IBS, Fibro, Myofascial, thyroid issues, spinal problems and just this week they added sleep apnea. I too don't snore, but my neuro was suspicious when he realized I had all this other stuff too. Apparently they all relate on some level and are symptoms of the FIBRO umbrella. I had no idea I was not breathing even though I was tired a lot. You might be shocked at the apnea/hypnoapnea episodes you are experiencing. I had 69 episodes of either complete lack of breathing, or partial breathing (blockage) in a 4 1/2 hour period! As each dx gets added, I am now saying it is just adding character......lol. Hope this gives you some insight to help.
~Mim
Oh my! 69 episodes in 4 hours? How many of these do you think woke you? What kind of treatment are they giving you now? CPAP? One more question, should I talk to my Internal Dr. or my Neuro about this type of problem? It's great that you seem to have such a wonderful attitude! I sure hope I can get to where you are. With my recent fibro diagnosis, I just feel so out of control of my emotions. You are an inspiration to me!!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
baby making gasping type noises when sleeping mommyoftwo0609 Children's Health 5 02-09-2010 06:46 AM
waking up gasping haoba1 Sleep Disorders 11 11-29-2009 01:12 AM
waking gasping for breath rozbel Sleep Disorders 4 08-11-2009 04:37 PM
Waking up odd RTullis Sleep Disorders 1 10-29-2007 07:50 AM
Waking up gasping for air, but doesn't seem like apnea. RTullis Sleep Disorders 2 10-11-2007 08:42 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!