It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

PeskyRabbit HB User
anxiety and pms

Does anyone else have a major increase of their anxiety during PMS? Mine gets so much worse that I am afraid to plan anything important that week anymore. I'm so frustrated because it seems like two weeks out of the month are wasted. The PMS makes me sooo anxious and then during my period I have cramps and feel fatigued. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
(female)

jem1971 HB User
Re: anxiety and pms

yes peskyrabbit i always know when my period is due i start off with being breathless and it goes from there really and slightlycalms after my period

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

PeskyRabbit HB User

Thanks for the response! Do you notice that you have more panic attacks or just feel heightened anxiety the whole time? I've been having these panic attacks when I have PMS that seem to come out of no where and make me feel like I'm going to pass out. They usually start with a hot flash and then I get light headed. Then I start to freak out because it always happens when I'm out somewhere and that makes it worse.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeskyRabbit
Thanks for the response! Do you notice that you have more panic attacks or just feel heightened anxiety the whole time? I've been having these panic attacks when I have PMS that seem to come out of no where and make me feel like I'm going to pass out. They usually start with a hot flash and then I get light headed. Then I start to freak out because it always happens when I'm out somewhere and that makes it worse.
Hi Pesky:

I'm fine and off medicine now, but before when I was where you are, I was ALWAYS more anxious and breathless when I was due for my cycle. I would always have a hard time breathing and wonder why, then I would notice it was that time of month soon. To this day though when I'm due, my nerves are a bit more than the norm. I don't think it ever goes away totally. I hear it gets worse again the closer you get to menopause, so needless to say, I hope it takes me a LONG TIME to reach there!!! Take care of yourself....

Melly

Old 02-05-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User

I am the same. I take Xanax as needed and it seems that most of the pills are taken within the two week before my period, and the week before it's like almost every day.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
(female)

PeskyRabbit HB User

Does the Xanax really help? Do you have many side effects with it? I'm sooo afraid to take meds.

Melly--I agree about the menopause! I've got enough problems now....I bet they'll be so much worse then!

Old 02-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
(female)

Princess48197 HB User

I have noticed this too. I become more emotional and anxious the week before my period starts. Any little thing sets me off. It's really frustrating because I feel as if I have no control over my emotions! I can feel the mood change coming on, but it's so hard to control.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User

The Xanax helps alot. I only take 1/2 of a .05mg (which will be .25mg). I try not to take it too much because it can be a dangerous and addictive drug if not used properly. I used it when I need it. And use the smallest dosage possible.

It calms me down, helps me sleep and helps me to stop thinking and worrying so much.

The only side effect for me is it makes me really sleepy, so don't drive with it until you know how it will affect you. It also makes me hungry...like I can eat and eat and eat...

If you decide to take Xanax for PMS, read up on the drug thoroughly before hand and know what you are getting into. And take it when you are home to see how your body will react to it.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2006, 03:54 AM   #9
(female)

jem1971 HB User

i know anxiety and panic is a dreadful thing but it makes me so much relieved toknow that sssssssssssssssssssooooooooo many people have exaclty the same symptoms as we all have and im sure without all theses websites and bored wed all be round the bend .just wanna say thank you to all that post on here i didnt find the site till a few weeks ago but found it very very helpful
and good luck to everyone who posts on here jem xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 02-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

msterio619 HB User

Same here. It seems like past few months it gotten so bad. Usually it starts like a week before my period - I get extremly shakey, have panic attacks, my moods are all over the place - up down and in between. I have no patience little things set me off - I snap at everyone - my concentration level is gone.
I mean this isn't the typical PMS I remember. This seems to be getting worse. I have discussed this with my gyn/psch doc - they said just to keep on my meds zoloft/zanax (been on over a yr both) - but it really doesn't give any relief around the time of my period. It's like I used to fear going out having paniac attacks now I fear having my period because it's the time I seem to have most of my PA's.

I wonder could this be an early signs of pre-menopause?? I am 35 so if meds don't work I just don't understand....

Old 02-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #11
(female)

PeskyRabbit HB User

I've considered going to a doctor and having my hormone levels checked. I just feel like this extreme PMS and anxiety I feel at my period might be more than just the typical issues most women have. I can see that I'm not alone though! We need to have a big chocolate fest!! (-:

Old 02-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #12
(female)

chrismom HB User

I, too get really anxious/irritable before my period. I end up increasing my dosage of Cymbalta and it helps. My doc said that she tells her patients to up dosages a bit of SSRI's during PMS for her patients that have these symptoms. Also, Prozac is used for PMS. It goes under the name Sarafem. My gyn told me that you only take it for like 10 days to 2 weeks out of the month. But PRozac has a long half life so it's in your system for longer. Basically you're probably on it the whole month.

I'm also going to have my hormones checked. I'm currently seeing an endocrinologist for other symptoms and hoping that they will find something out of whack.

Do you have regular cycles? I was wondering if that has anything to do with severe pms. My cycles are regular but short. Like every 23-24 days. So I am PMS most of the time!!!

Would love to hear back from you!

Chris

Old 02-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #13
(female)

PeskyRabbit HB User

Well, my cycles are regular because I am on the pill. The funny thing is that my pshych suggested I go have my hormone balance checked. Then she said if they are imbalanced, they will probably put me on birth control to treat it. That's when I told her I am already on it! Now I really feel confused. I've changed pills several times too....that hasn't helped much. This last one helped with the hot flashes I was getting right before my period started like I had menopause. I'm 33, so I was a little freaked out about the hot flashes. I get them from anxiety anyway, but they're so much worse around my period. Gheeze, I'm a mess!! LOL!

Old 02-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #14
(female)

chrismom HB User

Hi PeskyRabbit

I'm glad you told me about the fact that you're on the pill because I've often thought about going on it just to see if it takes away some of my symptoms.

There's actually a new pill coming out called YAZ that's supposed to be for PMS sufferers. I think it's a low dose Progestin only pill. I'[m not sure if it's for birth control, but its going to be marketed for PMS. I may ask my doc about it. Although I've used progesterone cream (natural) and didn't find much relief.

I'm 39 and I haven't been right since I was about 35, so don't feel bad. I think we are all getting these symptoms earlier due to chemicals/hormones in our foods.

Keep plugging along. Exercise seems to help me with anxiety when I can find the time to do it....

Chris

Closed Thread