It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #1

SecretAgent2 HB User
anxiety cause head picking?

Does anyone else pick their head when they are anxious? I have chronic pain which has lead to an anxiety disorder. I started picking at my head when I am anxious almost as a comfort to myself but now I have caused scabs on my head. I am not pulling out my hair, just picking. Like I'll find a little pimple and pick at it, etc. Anyone else do this? Maybe it's a form of tricotelamania (hair pulling---even though I don't pull out hair or have any urge to). Anyone else head pick? Is this normal? (that's a silly question--obviously it isn't! LOL)

Old 02-22-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: anxiety cause head picking?

Hi Secret,

I pick my sores. And some times, new moles (if I do not know that is what they are). I have great anxiety, So, I pick them and they have a hard time getting well. Well, I have some pain also. I have RA. But, I had the anxiety/stress first, then came the Arthritis! I think that somehow several illnesses are joined together somehow.

I pick way too much, but, not usually on my head/hair. Mine is my face and arms and fingers!!!

Take care.

Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2006, 01:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

i pick at my head, i have sense i was 9, i would call it nrmal, becuase whe poepel se me do it, tehy do it too, its just a habbit, nothing to worry over, i also bite my lip & dig m spiked naisl into my poor little palm, arm. or leg D: i also bite my hair (how weird am i?) like.. pul i into my mouth.. and bite, and pull it out o fmy mouth, and its wet, yuck. thats a big part of why i keep my hair short latley..

Old 02-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

lots of info about picking on the net

Old 02-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #5

SecretAgent2 HB User

where is the info on the net?

Old 02-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #6
(female)

yesmetoo HB User

Go to any search engine and type in compulsive skin picking.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
(male)

jkobeck HB User

I pulled out all my eyebrows, I picked the sking on my thumb near my finger nail until it bleeds, and I bite the insides of my lips until they bleed. 'so we are all nuts I guess

Old 02-24-2006, 05:09 AM   #8
(female)

All-alone HB User

Im so glad other people do this, I thought it was some form of madness for me.

I have scabs on my head from last Nov and everytime the anxiety gets bad i scratch and pick away.

Thanks for posting about it, I don't feel so alone now

Old 02-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
(female)

Fullhouse03 HB User

Hi there, well I'm glad that I saw this posting because I thought I was alone and I was a freak! LOL.. I've been doing this for about 2 years or more, my husband thinks I'm crazy, but I pick at my scalp and it seems to relieve some of my anxiety... I don't smoke or drink, I just pick! Glad to see there are other people that do this besides me!

Old 02-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #10

SecretAgent2 HB User

Although I hate to hear that others are having anxiety, it does feel good to know that this is a common behavior with anxiety and that we aren't nuts. I actually saw my therapist today and mentioned my picking getting worse. She said people do all kinds of picking with anxiety. So it's 'normal' so to speak. I get anxiety from a chronic pain problem and find myself picking my scalp to relax myself. So don't feel alone. There are many of us who do it apparently. I am going to start cognitive behavior therapy to train my mind to deal better with the anxiety and to learn how to control the picking. Anyone else do cognitive behavior for anxiety? If so what have you learned? I hope it works. I hate to just take more meds. I'm on enough for my pain.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
(female)

Fullhouse03 HB User

SecretAgent2--I'm sorry you're in so much pain! Although I don't suffer from pain, I do have anxiety and 3 little kids I'm with all day long, I guess I pick at my scalp to relieve some of this anxiety? Who knew being a mom could be so hard? LOL.. I hope this therapy helps you, if you get any insight on how "not to pick your scalp", leave us a message! And good luck to you!!

Closed Thread