It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
(male)

Mr. Jeff HB User
Exclamation Passing out from Panic/Anxiety Attack???

Hi
Could someone PLEASE HELP ME?[B]I need to know if anyone is familiar with these "episodes" (for lack of any other proper term) during extreme Panic or Anxiety attacks. I will describe the episode from my point and from what others who have been with me when they occur.
Prior to the episode, I am in the full "flight or fight " for up to hours prior to the event. My anxiety increases and increases, and becomes a full blown panic attack, I do my best to control it with breathing, sometimes a Xanax etc. Finally, I pass out, fall to the floor, have hit my head on the ground. I have been found unconscious, othertimes someone watches happen. I remain unconscious for a while, and people have difficulty getting me to become conscious. Once I become "conscious" I appear to be in a waking night terror. I am not oriented to persons or place. I am told I am "terrified" and scream and yell for help or for someone. I simply look commpletley psychotic. Several times EMS have been called. I have "come to" strapped to a gurney, or looking at the EMS personell asking me questions. Needless to say I am terrified and confused. My latest "episode" happened just a few weeks ago, prior to the event I was trying to relax by reading and drinking Chamomile tea.
I have not ingested any drugs or alcohol prior to in any of the "episodes"
Can anyone tell me anything about what is happening to me? Has anyone ever had or heard of this type of event? My Psychiatrist says it sounds very rare, but no answers as of yet. I am terrified of another "episode'
Could someone Please Please help me to get some answers?
Thank you so much
Mr. Jeff

Last edited by Mr. Jeff; 02-24-2006 at 02:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User
Re: Passing out from Panic/Anxiety Attack???

I passed out about 2 weeks ago from anxiety. I was standing in my friends kitchen and got really nervous and passed out. They said I was shaking and had my eyes open so they didn't even realize I passed out until my fiance had to catch me. I woke up like 10 seconds later confuzed as heck!! I didn't know what the heck happened. Well they called the ambulance and went to the ER> Nothing was wrong with me. I think I worked myself up to the point of passing out. Your body can only handle so much. When you get to your boiling point your body gives out. With me I was having anxiety panic attacks for a month straight. And kept pushing and pushing myself to go... until boom I fell flat on my face. You need to relax and listen to your body. Listen to what it tells you. If your tired sleep. When your hungry eat. Drink lots of water and avoid caffiene!! Coffee chocolate.>Big no no. If you pass out say SO WHAT.. don't be afraid. I was and got worse with the anxiety. Until I realized so what if I pass out again. I'll get back up.. The more you worry about it the worse your anxiety and panic is going to be and it will slow you down if you keep thinking negative. You have to have positive self talk. Its very important with this disorder. YOU are NOT going to die. So get it out of your head! Your fine!! I hope you feel better. And know that its ok to fall down.. You Will get up again.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
(male)

Mr. Jeff HB User

Wow!! There is someone in the world who have experienced this!!! Thank you for the reasurance!!!

Old 02-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

mr Jeff yes I know how you feel fully ..I have passed out nurmerous times it is very sporadic though a couple times a year if that and when I come to I am a wreck weak,heart going nuts,sweating all over,disorinented so yeah I too fear it happening again but I gotta go on with my life they cant find nothing wrong with me and say it is anxiety/stress

Old 02-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to mr jeff
sounds more like some sort of siezure to me and not a panic attack, although I accept the buildup of anxiety before
there are several types of siezure disorder which a psych should be familiar with or perhaps yours is just lazy, some sadly are
I suggest you research siezures on the net, if you think one is starting, avoid hyperventilation, ie do breathe deep and slow, and lie down on the floor, in case you pass out
make a list of all your meds and doses and ask about a possible reaction between them

Old 02-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
(male)

Mr. Jeff HB User

Thanks, as a matter of a fact when I told my Psyc. about this "episode" happenening again, he suggested we get and EKG and look into siezure possibilities. Thankfully my Psych is not a lazy one. Will let you know of the out come as the occure - Thanks for the reassurance, I was hessitant to go through with the siezure investigation, because, I dont want to have driving etc. removed 9sounds dumb but you know what I mean) Thanks again
Mr Jeff

Old 02-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
(male)

NiceguyEddie HB User

I have felt like I could pass out several times due to intense feelings of anxiety, but so far I haven't actually passed out. What happens to me is that I get very anxious sometimes when I am walking outside and it causes me to tense my chest to the effect that my breathing becomes irregular and shallow. This becomes a viscious cycle for me wherein the symptoms that I start to get from irregular breathing such as dizzyness make me more tense, etc to the point where I feel that I may pass out and hit my head on the ground - possibly doing serious injury to myself. It is kind of hard to stop once I'm caught in this cycle - I must just try to let go and relax to stop it, but it is not easy overcoming the fright. I think this is mainly due to agoraphobia in my case.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

mr jeff hry does have a point it is a possibility that it could be seizures but at the same time do not be surprised if the EKG comes out normal too mine did and my MRI,EEG,ECG,blood,event monitor,holter monitor on and on ....the only other thing I can figure mine to be is a thing called vasovagal syncope.....which is a possibility for you as well and the tilt table test is used to diagnose that if this is the problem it wont hurt or kill anyone most people are not even given meds for it unless it is happening very often which isnt usual either anyway just info I found on the web if ya want look it up.

This has been a mystery for me for over 12 yrs now when I first passed out I was ALWAYS told by every doctor ive seen id say give or take 12 different doctor that it is all due to anxiety/stress but I am gonna have that tilt table test when I can.One thing you can do is if you can tell you may be about to pass out (pre syncope) then lay down if you can get your feet higher up then rest of your body chances are you wont pass out lay there until the feeling subsides I have done this and it worked.If it is actualy some type of seizure though then you will go out anyway.

good luck id appreciate if you let us know the outcome of your ekg

Last edited by tnmomofive; 02-25-2006 at 07:05 AM.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
(female)

yesmetoo HB User

I agree with hry33. I've witnessed many seizures and it sounds like a seizure to me. A neurologist is the best person to see for this, however, a psychiatrist can also order an EEG or extended EEG (over 2-3 days in hospital).
The panic or fight or flight response that you are feeling for some time before your episodes is often a precursor to a seizure.
This is something worth investigating soon because it can certainly be treated. There is medication for seizure disorders that can significantly reduce if not eliminate seizures altogether, but this something to talk to a good doctor about. First things first: do your research as hry33 suggested, then get it evaluated to rule it in or out.
Take it easy,
Robin

Old 02-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
(female)

yesmetoo HB User

The night terror thing has me asking one more question: Has anyone thought of a "sleep" disorder like narcolepsy? You can fall asleep while in the middle of any activity including standing or walking. Just a thought.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

i second.. third.. or fourth that ' it sounds like a seizure to me ' notion but i really hope its not the case

and.. yet another posibility.. but this one isnt scarey!

ive passed out when haveing a panic attack before, becuase i have hypotension.
have you had your blood pressure checked? if its too high or too low that could be causeing your 'episodes', espeiclaly if its high.

Last edited by iyami; 02-25-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

The reason why I mention vasovagal syncope or neurocargentic syncope it goes by either name is because what happens is the blood pools into the legs and there is a sudden drop in blood pressure and then you pass out this is what I suspect is happens to me being my EEG came out normal years ago so if your EEG comes out normal too then I still reccomend the tilt table test vasovagal syncope is pretty common and not life threatenting as long as you take precautions when you feel those symptoms lay down or sit with your head between your legs and below your knees the main thing is to try and get yourself in a position where you will not fall and get hurtand with vasovagal syncope most people once laid down will not pass out if it is seizures then youd still lose conciousness.If it is seizures like others have said here you can get meds for it and if you are not having them that often chances are the meds will eliminate them all together

Last edited by tnmomofive; 02-25-2006 at 08:09 PM.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #13
(male)

Mr. Jeff HB User
Exclamation Re: Passing out from Panic/Anxiety Attack???

[FONT=Arial]Thank you all for the advise, just amazing to find so many people willing to take time to help someone they do not know. hat an invaluable blessing to have!!!
After so many suggestions about and EEG and checking out a seizure disorder, it sounds like it makes sense, However Now I am afraid of that being the case, if it is wont that mean I wont be able to drive anymore...or will it not be the case considering the passing out part has only happened 4 times in the past 4 years
Anyone have any input on this?? Againk thank you all for your time and interest!! Most appreciated, Mr Jeff[ /FONT]

Old 02-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

well I am not sure what the laws are on this with driving and none of the doctors ive seen strangly have ever told me not to drive but I have heard for people with seizure I believe it depends on how controlled the seizures are by meds like for example say you do not have a seizure in oh a 5 to 6 months time then the laws may say it is alright for you to drive but if they were not well controlled by meds and you were having them often then obviously you shouldnt be driving.....if it is seizures you dont have them very often and my guess is meds would probably eliminate them for you ......I am not sure where to find the info on this maybe your department of motor vehicles also there is a "epilepsy" board on this site scrool down to the E's they may be able to help you better

good luck with everything and your right these boards are a true blessing

Last edited by tnmomofive; 02-26-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:17 AM   #15
(female)

yesmetoo HB User

RE: Passing out from anxiety/panic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Jeff,
See this post on the sleep disorders topic on these HealthBoards...
There are others there who may have more info for you.
Let us know how you are doing.
We're here for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mystictiger_
Does anyone have Narcolepsy on here or know someone who has this?

I think my Mum may have it. We've been to a Neurologist who is going to do a MRI and a test where she has wires on her head to measure her brain waves. The Neuro said she either has Epilepsy or Narcolepsy. Shes been put on some Epileptic medication which isn't working at all.

She keeps falling asleep standing up, while talking to someone, washing up etc. Earlier she fell asleep on top of the stairs and fell all the way down. She only woke up when she smashed the banister glass window in and then carried on falling down the stairs till she hit the hoover at the bottom. I've checked her over and so has the walk in centre and shes fine. No injury thank goodness but I've got to keep a close eye on her. I was told if she falls asleep again, has palpitations, becomes dizzy or a high temp to phone for the paramedics.

I just dont know what to do anymore. Im going to ring our doctor on monday and ask for a appointment. She wont be seeing the neurologist until March sometime. Its too long for her to wait. She could seriously hurt herself next time this happens.

I was hoping someone or a lot of people on here know about Narcolepsy or know someone who has it or even have it themselves and can explain to me how they feel during a episode, how they were diagnosed etc.

Thank you.

Closed Thread