It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
(male)

osmonxp HB User
Question Levaquin and Anxiety

Has anybody experienced anxiety/panic attacks after taking antibiotics, Levaquin in particular? I was put on Levaquin because of a sinus infection and know I have this anxiety problems that I donít know how to deal with; palpitations, sweaty hand, tremor just to mention a few symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Levaquin and Anxiety

I suspect the sinus infection made you more panicky, a nettipot or similar can wash out the sinuses, warm salt water goes in thru one nostril and eventually comes out thru the other, also called sinus irrigation

you could ask a pharmacist whether panic attacks are on his side effects list for the med, another possibility is a panic attack from an allergic reaction to the med

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

steph2000 HB User

I just took Avelox, which is similar to Levaquin, and had the same thing happen. It is on the side effects listing and I did a search and lots of others have the same experience.

Sorry you had to deal with this, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only one.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
(male)

osmonxp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph2000
Sorry you had to deal with this, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only one.
No, you are not alone, hopefully we will get over this soon.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
(female)

PJ59 HB User

Hi, My drs claim that I have an anxiety problem now. I never had one previously. I had a 30 day course of Levaquin & Entex PSE over 4 months ago for head infection & my anxiety is continuing to get worsen to the point where I can't sleep & am about to start medication for it.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

OH my.. I recently had levaquin for the same thing sinus infection>> It put me into a complete anxiety state. I couldn't even finish taking them. He wrote that in my chart. That is so funny you said that. I can't beleive it. I think it triggered my anxiety x's 10. I was doing so good until I took that stuff!!

Old 03-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
(male)

guinness67 HB User

I was on Levaquin for a week last May before I had to stop taking the drug. I had developed horrible cramps and non-stop twitching in my calves and feet. After doing some internet diagnosing (before seeing my GP), I determined that I had a horrible neuromuscular disease. My GP eventually referred me to a neurologist and the neuro officially diagnosed me with benign fasciculations.

I believe that the Levaquin gave me the initial symptoms and that my anxiety has made the most of it for the last 10 months.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
(female)

Tiff22 HB User

Hi,

I had my first anxiety attack ever after taking Levaquin. I got extremely dizzy and thought i was going to die. What i actually thought was happening was that i was having an adverse reaction, because i never had taken such a strong antibiotic before. So that made the situation even worse. Not sure if it was actually the Levaquin that caused it, beacause i found out later i actually have an inner ear disorder that makes me dizzy all the time. Just thought i'd reply though, because it is a coincidence that i had my first attack after taking Levaquin.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
(male)

HossD5 HB User

That is what gave me my first anxiety attack. I can not take quinolone antibiotics I start hallucinating. I took 2 days for a sinus infection, and I have not been fully the same since. Everyone's body reacts different to different meds. However it does work well cleaning out the infection.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
(male)

tomicavols HB User

I have had the same symptoms. My anxiety, which was fairly under control, has been worse since I was put on Levaquin for a possible ear infection. I stopped taking the Levaquin about 5 days ago but I'm still VERY jittery and anxious. How long will it take for this to stop? When will all this subside? What are your experiences?

Old 05-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmonxp
Has anybody experienced anxiety/panic attacks after taking antibiotics, Levaquin in particular? I was put on Levaquin because of a sinus infection and know I have this anxiety problems that I donít know how to deal with; palpitations, sweaty hand, tremor just to mention a few symptoms.
hi this is one of few side effects of quinoline type antibiotics, anxiety,insomnia ect.. usually it is given for 7 days, if you cant bare it ask for another antibiotic, zithromax, bioxin ect...although levaquin is great for infection some cant tolerate it, me for one!

Closed Thread