It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Constant Tachycardia?

Hi there. I have been reading this board for a while now, but this is my first post on this one. Does anyone have a constant high heart rate? I have read many posts that people talk about high heart rates, but I have not seen anyone complaining about a constant high rate. I have had this constantly for about six months now. It may have been going on longer than that, but I didn't know it until my cardiologist pointed it out. I have had the full workup (ekg, echo, event monitor, stress test and a tilit table test) and they can find nothing wrong. At the beginning, my heart rate was between 100 and 130 most of the time. It is the highest when I first wake up. I now take bisoprolol (beta blocker) and it is usually between 80 and 100. I am always aware of my heart beat. Even when I lay down to go to sleep I can feel it up in my neck. It pounds constantly. I take Xanax every now and then and it doesn't help. If anything, it just makes me less paranoid about it. I am almost to the point that I can believe it is just anxiety, but like I said, I don't know if this constant high rate happens to anyone else. If this happens to anyone else, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
Re: Constant Tachycardia?

Leela, I have always..since as far back as I can remember..had a tachy heart rate. Everything else has always been normal so there was never really a concern to the physicians. Before it worried me and I thought something was wrong but now I am use to it and since everything else checks out ok I don't let it bother me anymore. I just wanted to say-one doctor told me I am always slightly dehydrated because I never drink water and suggested that may be why mine is always fast. Of course I hate water so I never took his advise to see if it was infact true. I know I should but I am a tea person and that is all I drink.... You take care and just stay ontop of it to make sure nothing else is going on!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I want to say to normocrazy that tea counts as liquid or water. I hate water too and I drinks tons of herbal tea in its place. I also started buying those fruit waters with no calories. They aren't as sweet as other fruit drinks and I get more water that way too.

Leela:

Maybe your dosage of your beta-blocker needs to be adjusted. I had this same problem a few years ago and I took Atenolol, also a beta-blocker. I think some beta-blockers are better than others for this problem and I know the dosages can vary. I was on a low dose and it helped me a lot, but I probably could've increased the dose if it wasn't enough. Give your doctor a call and tell him/her what you've told us. I know how that constant hard beating heart can be nerve-racking. I hope you feel better

Old 03-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Thank you for your responses!

Normorcrazy - I drink at least 48oz of water every day, if not more, so I know it is not that. Thank you for the idea, though.

SRMom - I have seen many posts from you on this board and you seem to know all about this stuff. Can anxiety be responsible for this constant rapid heart rate? I really don't have much stress in my life, but I think I have acquired some health anxiety because of another medical problem I have that no one can seem to figure out (unrelated to my heart). My heart is always racing and pounding - even when I am just relaxing watching TV. Can it really be just anxiety?

My doctor actually put me on atenolol first and I almost passed out. I think it dropped my blood pressure too low. He said that bisoprolol is the weakest of all the beta blockers so that is why he put me on that. But you are right, I could probably stand a higher dose. This racing, pounding heartbeat is driving me absolutely insane! I wake up with it and go to sleep with it every single day. I'm afraid to do any type of physical activity, even though my doctor has told me I will be OK.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. It does help to talk to people that have had the same problems.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi again...yes, in my opinion, this heart rate problem could be from anxiety. The way my doctor explained it to me is that everyone is different and some people just feel their heart beat more than others...especially people that already have issues with anxiety. Once we get our hearts checked out and know everything is okay, then we need to treat the symptoms with a beta-blocker and try to treat the anxiety also. I'm not an expert by any means, I just know what I've gone through and I've been dealing with my anxiety for many years now. I no longer have to take Atenolol...my BP has been okay, I don't have as many palps, and I don't notice my heart pounding as much...I try not to think about it. Xanax helps my anxiety when I'm feeling very stressed or have panic problems. I'm glad you have it to help relax you, and definitely ask your doc if you need a little higher dose of the beta-blockers. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to leela

it likely is all caused by anxiety, do try to ignore your heart and to accept the docs assurance that your heart is OK

anxiety sufferers often pay too much attention to tneir hearts, the heart respinds by hammering and sometimes racing

Old 03-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
(female)

lena_33 HB User

I have constant tachycardia (although maybe not as fast as yours) for a year. It was faster at first but has gone down slightly. I'm now taking Propranolol (beta blocker) and it's helped but it still goes up when I get anxious. I know what your going through, it can be a real bother. It started all of a sudden for me, but the fact that I had mercury poisoning couldn't have helped either..

Closed Thread