It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

Rianna HB User
Have lost four jobs in two months due to panic/anxiety..hopeless and unsure of future

I am not doing very well. I had a panic/anxiety attack at work today and had to leave. This is the fourth job that I have had in a few months, where I have had panic and anxiety attacks during my training period and have had to quit or tell them I am not feeling well and leave - unable to go back. I just feel overwhelmed with so much involved in the training (for customer service), and then the anxiety just gets me to the point where I fall apart after only a week on the job. I feel in the past year, my (mental) health has become worse. I am starting to wonder, if I will ever be okay to work, and that if not, I may have to try to file SS disability. I have heard from several people, that they have a one year long back docket and it can take forever to get on disability, and many times they reject it...then people have to hire attorneys and go to court, and it can be a real headache. It's a shame, because we have already paid for it for social security taken out of our paychecks.

I just can't seem to cope any more with new jobs and the several weeks of training process, I tell myself to take it one day at a time, that everyone goes through anxiety and stress during new jobs..but I can't seem to make it, and I end up having a really bad anxiety attack, severe enough where I can barely breath and my chest is burning and very tight, as many of you can probably relate.

I spoke to my friend this afternoon and told her I was frightened..frightened about the possibility of not being able to work again due to anxiety/panic attacks. I can't even make it through the training period. I also spoke to my Dad. He is very concerned and said he would do anything he can to help me. I am scared because I have car payments, bills due..and I hate to have my Dad help me with my bills..but I also know my mental health is very poor right now. It's frustrating, because I don't have depression anymore due to being on Remeron, but I have the anxiety/panic. I am probably going to have to give in and go on the Busphar, to try to get better so that I can work again..or try to work again. The anxiety seems to get worse to the point where my chest is so tight during PMS and right before. My friend said perhaps I should try to take it easy at first and get a part time job, and see how I do on that, and then work full time, if the part time job goes okay. She said that perhaps my line of work (customer service/inside sales) is a very stressful job..one of the most stressful, and that perhaps, I need to find something not so stressful until I get better..like Pet sitting or Reception work. I have been doing customer service for the past fifteen years, and perhaps I do need to find something less demanding for awhile. Maybe it is doing me in.

I have an appointment tomorrow with the Psychiatrist, so will see what she says. Maybe I need some kind of intensive inpatient or outpatient program for anxiety/panic sufferers..only wish I could afford it. I know meds can't do it alone..but I just don't have the money or health insurance. Thanks for listening. I just feel very hopeless right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Have lost four jobs in two months due to panic/anxiety..hopeless and unsure of future

the psych souuld be able to hep it may help to print out your post and take it for him to read and keep in his file

Old 04-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
(female)

Taglia HB User
Re: Have lost four jobs in two months due to panic/anxiety..hopeless and unsure of future

don't feel hopeless. I hope you can find comfort in knowing you are not alone. Your story seems alot like mine. I hope your apt with the psyc was helpful. And I agree the jobs you take on seem very stressful. I am a teacher and I feel that it is very similar to customer service. You need to be "on" at all times. I now supply teach only 1/2 a day a week becasue that is what I can manage. So the part time thing may be better than nothing but I also now it won't pay all the bills. Remember to take care of yourself and if your dad can help you should let him. I am a parent and I know I would do anything for my child.
Smile, and take one step at a time. Things can and will get better.

Old 04-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
(female)

Rianna HB User

Thank you for all your replies. Went and saw the Psychiatrist today..she said I am setting myself up for failure, because I think I am going to have an anxiety attack with the new jobs and therefore I do. Said I need to work on my self esteem and get my confidence back. Gave me a homework assignment to tape record my voice in different customer service scenarios so that I can get used to doing that again..and then I won't be so nervous in training. Said she wants me to start coming in to see her every two weeks and do cognitive behavior therapy for anxiety and panic disorder. Have never had therapy with a Psychiatrist before..normally, I have done so with counselors in the past. Should be interesting, and I hope..helpful. Thanks again for your replies.

Closed Thread