It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

Taglia HB User
Anyone taking Citalopram (20MG)

Hi there,
about 4 months ago my doc perscribed me citalopram. I got the perscription filled but then decided not to take the meds. Since then my doc has moved to another location (about 4 hours away) I can not find a new doc in my area because they are not taking any new patients. I had a really bad week and I would like to start taking the citalopram. Do you think it is alright to begin my meds? Does the doc need to monitor me? I have been getting so many palpitations that I can hardly stand it any more. I'm thinking the meds would help. What should I expect with the meds? I am tired of feeling this way. I hurts me so much to not be able to do things with my kids because of my anxiety. I can't go to the park or for walks any more because of my fears. I am hoping the meds will help.

Last edited by Taglia; 04-14-2006 at 04:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
(female)

GI Jane HB User
Re: Anyone taking Citalopram (20MG)

I am also on this medication. I have been for a few years now and its really helped me to relax more. It helps with anxiety and depression. I dont get depressed very often now, just get anxious if I am forced into having to do things. I cant advice you what to do. Its a real shame you cant get to see a doctor about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

Taglia HB User
Re: citalopram (20MG)

Thank you for responding GI Jane. DO you remember how you felt when you first started taking citalopram? What can I expect? I am unable to go to work now and I was wondering if being on the meds would help enough for me to go back?

Old 04-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
(female)

GI Jane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglia
Thank you for responding GI Jane. DO you remember how you felt when you first started taking citalopram? What can I expect? I am unable to go to work now and I was wondering if being on the meds would help enough for me to go back?
I think it might. Depends how badly your being affected. It helped me go out more and do the day to day things. It started working a few months into it.
I really believe its one of the best treatments out there for anxiety and depression. I had no real side effects either. It definitely improved my mood.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
(male)

jkobeck HB User

The proper way to do it is to start with 5 mg (1/4 tab) for 4 days, then move to 1/2 a tab for the next 4 days days, then 3/4 tab for 4 days and then the entire 20 mg.
Thats how I did it and I had minimal side effects, had I strted with 20mg the side effects would be unbearable. Thats what worked for me, but I cant advise you. You really need to be under doctors care.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #6
(female)

Taglia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkobeck
The proper way to do it is to start with 5 mg (1/4 tab) for 4 days, then move to 1/2 a tab for the next 4 days days, then 3/4 tab for 4 days and then the entire 20 mg.
Thats how I did it and I had minimal side effects, had I strted with 20mg the side effects would be unbearable. Thats what worked for me, but I cant advise you. You really need to be under doctors care.

Thanks jkobeck, I think I am going to go to emerg and see if I can get some help there the next time I get really bad. I have gone to walk in clinics but they will not perscribe me meds

Closed Thread