It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 AM   #1
(male)

musicarvind HB User
Zoloft-Elavil(Amitriptyline) combination

Hi everyone. glad to find this board and read some of the postings. lots of help here so thought id post a question i have. i have been on citalopram 30mg a day for the last 2-3 years now. 20mg about 4 years before that. went to meet a new doctor today as have not been following up with any doc for a while. met him and he seems to think that zoloft is a better drug as compared to citalopram(celexa,Cipram here in Asia).

Fine, i'll try it. he reckons 50mg in morning followed by 25mg in the evening of zoloft. what got me thinking is that he also prescribed amitriptyline 10mg bedtime. he mentioned that the usual dosage for Amitriptyline is 150mg to 200mg and this would help me get a better sleep at night without the bad effects of taking drugs like clorazepate dipotasium. I did some research on the net and found Amitriptyline to be a tricyclic anti-depressant. Definately should not be combined with something like Zoloft. but its in a very very small dose. he seems to be very experienced in dealing with patients experiencing panic disorders/anxiety.

i dont know, is there anyone else on this combination? seems weird but i am sure he knows what he is prescribing. right now i am lightly anxious just with the "information overload!" for the past 4 hours. will not take Amitriptyline until i get some answers here and stick to the new zoloft. i doubt it would have much side effects on me cause been on citalopram for years now.

also while at it, i completely moved from citalopram yesterday for years to zoloft today. is such a move ok? according to the doc, its fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Zoloft-Elavil(Amitriptyline) combination

Hi Music

the first question is was the citalopram working for reducing your anxiety? keep in mind that sometimes all antidepressant meds can work for a while then stop, or simply never work for a person at any dose at all.

If it was, then, IMO, doc was very wrong in changing it as there is no guarnatee the zoloft, although a similar med, will work at all. I hope doc doesnt get triple frequent flyer points for every zoloft prescription he writes

amitryptaline isnt usually prescribed as a sleeping pill but in that small amount, is unlikely to cause problems
I am very doubtful of your new doc

Old 04-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
(male)

musicarvind HB User

Hi Hry,

yes i am doubtful of this doctor as well. but to tell you the truth, i just could not get off citalopram. so one part of me says why not give it a try. it was working for me and as soon as i miss one does, i feel the effects of not having it. so its got to be working. or perhaps its just messed up the chemicals in my head too much.

according to him, citalopram has more side effects and so does paxil. he says that he has had many patients and experience from their feedbacks together with lots of research materials points towards zoloft as a better medicine. (maybe he does get some frequent flyer miles). docs are making so much money off drug companies these days that no patient can be sure anymore, its really sad) i am willing to give it a try and this time seriously try to get off anything in 6 months time. my only concern was the taking of amitriptyline in that dose as i am already on an SSRI. so i guess it would only help me get some sleep at night which i need. thanks for replying though. i guess i will start Amitreptyline tonight.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I've tried both Zoloft and Elavil...went to Elavil right after Zoloft. Went back on Elavil years later for chronic pain and didn't like how tired it made me. My doctor said to go ahead and stop, but I could keep it around for use as sleeping pills. I don't know if that helps you or not...good luck.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:20 PM   #5
(male)

musicarvind HB User

sleeping pills is what he is making me use the elavil for. just 10mg of it bedtime. if 10mg works to help sleep. i wonder what 200mg of it does to treat depression.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

My pills were 50 mg. so I guess you're probably really safe with taking only 10 mg. along with the Zoloft, if it helps you sleep. Take care

Old 04-28-2006, 03:19 AM   #7
(male)

musicarvind HB User

4 days into moving to zoloft and i am beginning to get back my anxiety systoms. mostly slow eye movement. as thought not alert. also the "panic" increasing. wonder if zoloft is working for me or whether its gonna take at least 2 weeks before i feel better like i did with citalopram. i am this close to getting back to citalopram. but i think i should hang on to zoloft for a while till maybe one month. anyone has an opinion?

Closed Thread