It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 01:26 PM   #1

kittenhead HB User
Suggestions?

Hello! I'm new to the anxiety forums here and I've been a little shy about talking about stuff, but I was wondering if maybe you guys have some suggestions for me.

I started taking Lexapro on Friday and my anxiety got so much worse that I was in physical pain all weekend long. I read the stickied thread so I know that it isn't uncommon for people to feel worse when first taking a new med. What I'm wondering is if there are some suggestions for me to help relieve some of the things that come along with anxiety until my body is used to the drug?

Pretty much my stomach has been in constant knots, my jaw aches horribly and I have been having nonstop tension headaches. Is there an over the counter medicine that works well for this? Tylonel, Ibuprofen, etc.

Also, do you have any suggestions for ways to relax. Normally when I feel panicky or anxious I can usually just wait it out but it's been pretty constant and I haven't been able to fall asleep or stay asleep very well because I get all shaky and twitchy and I can't get my muscles to relax.

This is gonna get better, right? I was really nervous to start taking the Lexapro because I've never been on a med like this before.

Sorry if this is a stupid thread that other people have posted before!

Old 04-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User
Re: Suggestions?

Yes it will get better. Try relaxation cd's or chamomile tea before bed at night. It helps me a lot. Also try not to go to bed until you are tired otherwise you will not fall asleep. I did get very bad when first starting my zoloft after 4 weeks I was ready to give up until the 5th week I felt better so hang in there. Keep yourself busy and try the advil for the headaches. It couldn't hurt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

jaw clenching and tooth grinding whan asleep is common and causes jaw pain
the lexapro dose may be reduced for a while, what dose are you taking?

deep slow breathing always helps calm you, its a pity doc didnt give you any valium type meds, try to get some

Old 04-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi kitten...welcome! I agree, try to get some valium or xanax from your doctor, if you can. I'm sorry you are going through this. The last time I tried an antidepressant, I had the same side effects you're describing. I took it for a whole month and never got better, so my doctor just took me off of it and told me to continue taking xanax and talk to a therapist. I haven't talked to a therapist yet (and probably won't any time soon), but I still take the xanax when I need to. Good luck...I hope the Lexapro works for you

Old 04-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #5

kittenhead HB User

Thank you everyone!! Right now I'm on one pill a day and I usually take it at about 5:30pm so that I'm not at work when I first take it because it tends to make me really loopy for the first couple of hours. Maybe I should try taking it at a different time though?

I woke up several times during the night and little things like the sound of the fish tank and my cats playing freaked me out for no reason and I actually had to just laugh at myself for it because at least now I know that it's partly due to the medicine.

I've been seeing a counselor for almost three years now so I will ask him about the other drugs tomorrow when I see him.

Thanks so much again for being understanding and for your ideas!! I'm definitly going to try those ideas tonight to help me relax before bed!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

The only thing that has helped me with my tension/stress headaches are muscle relaxers. I found out that these helped by chance (as in, I hurt my back, got a Rx for them and didn't have a headache a single time I was on them).

Closed Thread