It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

Lostwithin HB User
Anxiety, panic attack and Gagging reflex

One of my syptoms that seem to bother me the most is when I have a panic attack I start gagging, normally just get the dry heaves. This is really a prob because if I need to leave the house I gag so much I can't see to drive.

If I am not able to forget my trip out or calm down I will continue to gag until I am so exhausted I can hardly stand. I am already to the point I hardly ever leave the house this sure does not help. Does anyone else have this effect?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Re: Anxiety, panic attack and Gagging reflex

YES!!!! I thought I was the only person. I gag when i get very very nervous, I think it is mostly because I am afraid of vomiting and I make myself so sick with panic about it that my throat muscles tense up. I don't know if that's what it is but i HATE it. It's so embarrassing. I usually chew gum and have mints, they help a lot when i feel that way. If it gets real bad I take a Xanax.

The Following User Says Thank You to mjewell For This Useful Post:
Ashley11344 (10-25-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

any valium type tablet disolved under the tongue will help a lot by relaxing all your muscles

Old 05-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
(male)

jvasel HB User

Is that safe to take while driving?

Old 05-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
(female)

Lostwithin HB User

All I am prescibed for mine is xanax well for my panic attacks. I find with the gagging what helps is to close my eyes and breathe only through my nose it seems to help for the moment any way.

One thing that triggers my gagging and I feel so so foolish about this. Since I more or less had a nervous breakdown any strong smellls or just trying to bag and take out the trash EVERY time causes me to gag severly. These is even on days I don't have to leave the house or do anything stressful.

Going grocery shopping is a trigger also.. but then again that is the ONLY place I do go if I leave the house. I do all the rest of my shopping online.. lol.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvasel
Is that safe to take while driving?
It can cause drowsiness and that is a warning on the bottle, but I don't know anyone who stops driving because of it. All meds have that warning, even over the counter cold meds.

Closed Thread